Archive through February 21, 2014

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Miscellaneous: Cats: Archive through February 21, 2014
   By Annette on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 11:01 pm: Edit Post

I was determined to get a picture of all 5 kittens together. Usually they are curled up asleep, noses in the milk dish or zooming all over the place too fast to catch. On two seperate occasions I caught them on the couch before they could take off.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Pets%20and%20animals/Kittens5_z psc42b71a5.jpg:original
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Pets%20and%20animals/Kittens5ag ain_zps4269ee30.jpg:original

Missy is not pregnant that I can tell, so she will be off to the vets in the next few weeks. She is not really much into being a pet though, so I will also keep the little lady. Socks can have his companion, and I will have mine.

By Trys on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 09:39 am: Edit Post

Those kittens are precious. If I had to decide which one to keep I'd be in a real quandary. I am partial to black cats but the gray is just gorgeous and of course the markings on the calico are really nice. Are you keeping the callie?

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:08 am: Edit Post

Wow, those kits are really gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the rare moment.

By Annette on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 07:12 pm: Edit Post

I will be keeping the callie, since she chose me, and actually when I was a kid and first wanted a kitten, it was a similar one I was promised, but missed out on. So the coincidence is a bit much that Socks thought I needed company and she turned up in the litter of kittens and has adopted me. Missy will be Socks's companion, I am not sure she will be happy being a house cat once she no longer has kittens to look after, but I will try and keep her in of a night. And at least she is a lot tamer now, you never used to be able to get any where near her. We certainly tried hard enough to catch her before she could have this lot of kittens.

The grey is a little teddy bear, he will make someone a great pet. I will see how the kittens behave with children later on today, I will be having some young ladies visit who will be playing with them for a short while. One has visited them before, but I think they would have forgotten her.

Unfortunately I hardly get any visitors, so they vanish when anyone comes. Yesterday Missy was feeding them all on the mat in the lounge room, my neighbour knocked on the door and they were all gone! Mum was there all alone. Angela never knocked that loud. Little Adventurer the smallest of the black ones was the only one willing to come out and say hello, even though Angela had moved them into the house and visited when they were smaller. The rest were all hiding under one of the lounge chairs.

By Annette on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 04:15 am: Edit Post

Unfortunately I could not get my chosen kitten to eat, she would only drink milk, so Little Lady went to the cats home with the other four and we are now kittenless and Missy is upset. Missy was still feeding the kittens at 9 weeks, so in order to get her desexed, all the kittens had to go. I am heartbroken, but a cute lovable kitten has more of a chance of being adopted than a grown cat. And Little Lady had more of a chance of surviving if she left home. She seemed perfectly healthy, so I suspect it was a behavioural thing, she just wanted to be a milk drinker for the rest of her life. Separate her from home, and mum she might come to her senses.

Hopefully the nice people at the cat home have better luck at getting Little Lady to eat than I did, they are the experts and have a vet down there to check them out. After they have their shots and are desexed and microchipped hopefully they all get good homes, you pay that price for a kitten ($170) you are presumably at least going to look after it. All but one kitten did well with the girls, Little Adventurer the smallest was too frightened, she takes after her Mum unfortunately.

Now I just need to give Missy some extra attention to try and get her to stay, and not go back to her wild ways. She does not go for her trip to the vets till the 3rd of May, which is going to seem a very long time to try and keep her inside. The kittens were darlings, but once is enough.

Although I am wondering what I am going to do with a mama cat full of milk with no kittens? Everyone seems to think it will only take a week for the milk to dry up, but do they normally have a lot of milk when the kittens vanish?

She apparently stopped feeding the previous batch (which also was five kittens) at around 6 weeks and left them to fend with the two legged ferals by themselves. They survived which says something for the endurance of kittens. I can understand her deserting them, but I wish she had decided to wean this batch sooner.

By Annette on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 07:12 pm: Edit Post

Cute lovable kitten has returned after her little trip to the cats home. I am a lot poorer, but happier. Little Lady will now eat one brand of kitten food, the most expensive of course and the one I had least of. Still trying to get her to eat plain chicken! I have plenty of chicken. Mister (the grey) and the two black kittens were already adopted before I picked my little milk drinker up. Only Little Adventurer, the black/dark brown one with no white was left. And yes although she was hungry when she got home still little lady prefers milk. Complained she was hungry all day even though she had plenty of food. I eventually had to resort to putting her paws in it to get her interested. Mum got all the ones she rejected.

Mum and kitten have to be kept seperate till Missy's milk dries up. So either one of the other gets locked up in a room. And the little hussy appears to be attracting the local male cat population again so I will shortly have to try and put some chicken wire up around the fence, to keep all these cats out of my yard. Socks had a go at one last night attempting to pilfer some food, I chased an enormous, white, horrid looking thing this morning, never seen that one before. I want him near none of my cats. Obviously my kitten will not be going outside for some time.

By Leonie on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 01:56 am: Edit Post

Cute pictures! I helped a friend rescue a kitten from inside her car engine about ten days ago - tiny little black female with no tail. The vet thought it was most likely a manx.

Unfortunately there were no microchips or signs of owners, but she was so cute that I'm sure she'll find a home - had huge eyes and an adorable "love me" expression.

By Annette on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 06:43 am: Edit Post

The girls are doing fine, unfortunately getting a decent picture of them together during the day seems impossible, but I caught them on the bed the other night in a loving moment, although Little Lady moved before I could grab the camera, she still stayed on the bed to see what I was up to.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Pets%20and%20animals/MissyandLL _zps7ce77c56.jpg~original

Little Lady is all ears waiting to hear how Janny is doing on that book.

By Annette on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:53 pm: Edit Post

Finally got a photo of my stealth cat Mr Socks.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Pets%20and%20animals/MrSocks_zp s1fdd2e73.jpg~original

He unfortunately currently has an injured paw spoiling his life, but there is nothing the vet can do for him. I had such fun getting him to the vets, it was a bit of a disappointment it was not worthwhile. He behaved like a perfectly tame house cat while at the vets, although I had to hang on to him. I have not been able to pick him up since, to smart for me he is. But I can give him a pat now, occasionally. So I am forgiven for the trip and temporary imprisonment. And all those tablets he had to have, no way did I fool him putting them in the food, but he ate them anyway.

By Annette on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:49 am: Edit Post

And my Little Lady was 12 months old earlier this month, and I finally managed to snap a decent picture.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Pets%20and%20animals/LittleLady 12months_zpsc0fca31f.jpg~original