Initiate's Trial Status

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status

By Sundancer on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 01:32 am: Edit Post

Last time I checked with Dymocks, at the counter rather than on-line, they were expecting it 3 November. As I've orderd it from Book Depository I haven't been back to check.

However, Book Depository haven't been as good for me as for Annette, I've been waiting longer than her week. Still waiting ... no joy now I guess till next week.

By Annette on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 02:39 am: Edit Post

Unfortunately nothing turned up down this way on the 3rd, or the 4th for that matter. I have given up expecting it to even turn up next week. If Sundancer has already been waiting a week for one from the Book Depository it will certainly turn up next week. I will just sit here and sulk till mine eventually crawls out of what ever black hole all the Australian ones got lost in. The retailers could have imported them direct from the UK faster than this, they better not be waiting for them to get to the USA so they can get them cheaper from their suppliers there.

By Annette on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 12:27 am: Edit Post

Picked up the trade paperback version this afternoon, it is the 8th here so only a week later than expected. Just as well I never ordered the hardback from the bookshop down here though, they ordered theirs from the USA. Looking forward to settling down to reading the real book tonight. :-)

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

Yeah we got the trade yesterday - lots of stock in store now and featured in our christmas catalogue :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 08:48 am: Edit Post

Oh, Mark, THANK YOU! That is happy-making news.

OK, you Australians, no excuses - Galaxy Bookshop has copies!!! :-) (and they will ship Anywhere)

By Annette on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 08:41 pm: Edit Post

This Australian ran into a few problems with Fishpond, never again will I order books from them, or anything else once I get the mess sorted out. I have ordered my hardback version from the Book Depository now. If I cannot manage to cancel my pre-order seems I might end up with two copies of the hardback, no way would I trust Fishpond to actually deliver the book. By the time they get themselves organised the hardback will probably be sold out.

By Sleo on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:24 pm: Edit Post

Oh man. What a pain!

By Annette on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 11:50 pm: Edit Post

Seems the pre-order cannot be cancelled, even though they do not yet have the book, seems their supplier never got it. Cannot cancel the pre-order for the audio version either, even though that version does not exist, I want to keep that order and see what explanation they come up with anyway. Fishpond have a strange way of doing business, once I receive the book, if I ever do, they say I can return it for a refund, seems suspicious, I will keep the book, if they ever actually send it.

By Andrew Ginever on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 02:05 am: Edit Post

Annette, Fishpond don't seem to be much brighter at their New Zealand head office, though they seem happy enough to cancel pre-orders and issue refunds over here (seems to be their preferred way of dealing with problems, unfortunately).

I have been chasing them up for a couple of days since their website availability for the hardcover doesn't match up with what their customer support team has been telling customers (and accepting money in advance and then saying they might not be able to actually deliver the book - like their support team was telling customers yesterday - is never a smart business idea, let alone that it's probably illegal under New Zealand Fair Trading laws).

I have no idea how many unhappy pre-order or post-release-date customers they actually have (and you can count me in that list) and I definitely don't want Janny's fans getting frustrated, so I'm trying to stay on top of the situation and get it resolved asap.

As far as I can make out from all the emails back and forth, their original UK supplier failed to supply them with stock by the official release date (apparently that supplier is still claiming to have stock in its databases, but is not able to supply - which is causing headaches all down the distribution chain - probably a result of an incorrect Nielsen's entry).

After I pointed out that at the prices they were charging on their New Zealand website, they could actually buy stock themselves from Book Repository at retail if they had to in order to keep their customers happy and still make money they seem to have changed their tune somewhat.

Fishpond told me earlier today that they have now ordered stock from at least two separate UK suppliers to try to get this matter resolved, and get enough stock on hand to meet existing orders within the next 7-14 days, even if that means they end up double-stocking the title.

By Annette on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 05:19 am: Edit Post

It would seem I cannot cancel either Fishpond order because I pre-ordered too early, they have your money so long they think it is theirs whether they supply the item or not. I am certain of getting the hardback whether Fishpond send theirs or not. I will sit back and wait them out now. Since I pre-ordered so early I did not pay that much for the hardback, if they swap it for the trade paperback it will still be cheap(for Australia), although I will still complain. You would think, having made a mistake on the price for the hardback ($24.97) they would be more than willing to give me a credit and get me to buy something else, that they actually have in stock.

By Annette on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 01:00 am: Edit Post

I think Fishpond might have been telling a bit of a fib when they said they were making enquiries about the downloadable audio version.

quote:

Hi Annette,

The release date for Initiate's Trial: First Book of Sword of the Canon (The Wars of Light & Shadow) [Audio] is still listed as 27th Oct 2011 however it hasn't quite hit the shelves. There are plenty of copies on order and they are probably just putting the finishing touches on it.

Rest assured, that your copy has been reserved and we will ship it to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

The Fishpond Team

Well it is not going to hit the shelves, and I do not want them to ship it to me, just giving me the download link will do. Fishponds current estimated release date is Dec 8th, but I think that is just a wild guess. I eagerly await the release if they can manage to find an audio version. From the info under the barcode on the back cover of Initiate's Trial it does look like an audio version would be available at some point.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

For what it's worth, I have no word that there is any audio version at all in the works.

By Annette on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 02:26 am: Edit Post

Just noticed Janny got Author of the month from the aussie voyager team, so every page you look at on the blog shows Initiate's Trial. Nice to see a bit of advertising.
http://voyagerblog.com.au/

Now if they had posted the first chapter extract I would have noticed earlier. I sort of gave up on them when I realised they were not really that up to date with some things. But at least they did notice Janny's new book!

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 09:29 am: Edit Post

Very cool! What a nice little lift, today.

Annette or any interested aussie - might draw their notice to the link to that excerpt at Paravia - they are quite free to add it!

By Sleo on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 11:36 am: Edit Post

Very cool!

By Annette on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:55 pm: Edit Post

Although I tried so many times to cancel my Fishpond order, it seems Fishpond is determined they are going to make sure I have the hardback. I received a second book from them today, I now have 3 hardbacks and one trade paperback, I only wanted one of each.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Janny%20Wurts/Initiates_Trial_x 4.jpg

How can you complain about a retailer that gives you two for the price of one. I am not even going to try and go through the hassles of returning it. I will donate my free book to my state library, it seems the copy of Initiate's Trial the local branch had has already been stolen.

By Louise Flintoff on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 01:54 am: Edit Post

Hello, I'm new, but just wanted to say Initiate's Trial has just arrived in shops in my town, and I purchassed it yesterday. As I hadn't caught up with the news it had been published I am a little behind everyone else, but at least it makes a wonderful Christmas present at the end of a truly horrible year.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:44 am: Edit Post

Welcome here, Loise Flintoff - enjoy the story, and don't neglect our family!!! ;O -- just be warned it doesn't have many pause points...:-)

Also - wow, I have been overwhelmed busy - there are a LOT of delurkers - See? - we don't bite!!!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:54 pm: Edit Post

Wonderful present yesterday found under the Christmas Tree; Hardback copy of Initiate's Trial. :-)

Having surfaced from lots of annoying disability paperwork, I'd just started a re-read of Stormed Fortress. Real question now is whether I will have the discipline to finish the re-read....BEFORE opening IT. ;)

By Nurgle on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:39 am: Edit Post

Mark discipline is for the weak... just READ IT!

By Sleo on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:54 am: Edit Post

"Discipline is for the weak!" - Love it!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:59 pm: Edit Post

*Beads of sweat break out upon his brow, but his resolution holds.....for now*

By Annette on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:04 am: Edit Post

Mark, you do not actually have to re-read Stormed Fortress before reading IT. The important events from Stormed Fortress that are brought up in IT will be explained in more depth anyway. :-)

By Annette on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 06:54 pm: Edit Post

I notice Harper Collins has the info up for the Mass Market version.
http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/34557/initiates-trial-janny-wurts-97800072 17830

UK: 16 August 2012
Australia: 01 September 2012

Will be nice to read a version that is not so heavy. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 04:17 pm: Edit Post

Thanks, Annette, I didn't know that...

By Annette on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 06:13 pm: Edit Post

I see the publication date for the mass market version of Initiate's Trial in the USA has been delayed again, the new date is the 16th October. The previous delayed release date was I think the 25th September.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 08:34 am: Edit Post

I just learned this last Friday - apparently there were stock problems.

The books are printed in London on Forest Stewardship Council approved paper - and they are sent to the USA to go into distribution. I don't know what the delay was; but the books have to get into the system once here. Better done right...

I am sorry for any readers who may be disappointed by the delay - I still run into many who have not yet FOUND THE HARDBACK EDITION - so hopefully nobody waits beyond the explosion point.

There is nothing the author could have done about this. Please don't kill me, grin, because it will also delay the first Destiny's Conflict sneak peek...

By Annette on Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 08:47 am: Edit Post

No worries Janny, I am sure a bit of waiting is not going to kill us. A page update for Destiny's Conflict would be nice though, we have not had any news for a while. Some of us were interested in where you are up to at the moment, but we will settle for a page count. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 10:08 am: Edit Post

Annette - I will post an update very shortly...revision to correct and finalize a few shifts in detail on one already drafted scene (the others are sanded into shape) will finish out the current bit in front of me - getting that out for test read today comes first.

By Annette on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

If any Australian fans have yet to buy Initiate's Trial, Booktopia are selling off their trade paperback versions for only 5.95 in the current sale.
http://www.booktopia.com.au/initiate-s-trial-janny-wurts/prod9780007217823.html

International postage from Australia would be a bit expensive for oversees buyers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: