First Sneak Preview - contains Stormed Fortress spoilers

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: First Sneak Preview - contains Stormed Fortress spoilers

By Janny Wurts on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 01:13 am: Edit Post

Hi Stephen - warm welcome here! Chuck away all you want, with those spanners. ;) Probably I'll have a bigger one airborne, already...

By Matthew on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 07:37 am: Edit Post

Hm if the fellowship owed a debt to the sisterhood why didn't they call that in to get back their missing Great Waystone years ago?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 02:23 pm: Edit Post

Matthew - have you read Stormed Fortress?

By Matthew on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 06:08 am: Edit Post

Sadly no :-( the answer lies in Stormed Fortress then?

My book budget got slashed after household bills became too much, 3 kids to feed etc :-)I should probably write up a gift list so people stop giving me jumpers.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:37 am: Edit Post

Matthew - the answer is DEFINITELY in Stormed Fortress - you will have a US release for this eventually...be extremely careful about looking at the topics in this, the sequel's chat space - you could get some whingers of spoilers by accident.

I special ordered some copies of SF to put on the table for sale at DragonCon (I can do this, by contract). If there are any left after the con, in about six weeks, we'll see...cover price plus postage.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 07:11 pm: Edit Post

*Extrapolates*

Ah, now if (on the off-chance that there isn't a standard hardback offering) you can convince them to print hardback of Initiate's Trial by contractual special order, my checkbook will be vulnerable....! :-)

By Angela Bawden on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 12:30 am: Edit Post

To all those who out there looking for Stormed Fortress...*gloat* *GLOAT!*
I got first edition hard back. :D
And I must say, Janny Wurts, that in these last two books, Traitors Knot and Stormed Fortress (abbreviating it to SF makes me think Sci-Fi), You have regained the spark of new plot developments! Horray! I was despairing there for a while - it seemed the books after Warhost of Vastmark were just differing ways of making the Shadow Master suffer. But now he's taking charge - yay! And FREE - Yippee-yay!!!!
I am hoping your next book has Arithon dealing with Mistwraith free-wraiths, that would be exciting and something I've been waiting for since Warhost, and more especially since the sky wards went off...how many books ago was that? at least two...? OR! are they already on Athera??

By Trys on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 08:08 am: Edit Post

Angela,

That hardcover of Stormed Fortress would be the British book club edition, yes?

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 09:42 am: Edit Post

Angela - welcome here. Trys is correct, there was no "hardcover" - what you have is the British book club edition.

Thanks for your lovely notes on Stormed Fortress and Traitor's Knot - I had not "lost my way" but was building the platform for them...grin. If you look back at Fugitive Prince, you'll see the details being laid for the events in both books that arrived in convergency.

I realize that readers at the start of arcs may not realize the importance of the opening stages - but the proof will always be in the pudding. An arc will begin a new platform and build.

To answer: you have 3 volumes coming, one nearly complete in draft as I speak (I am working on 12 set which is barreling ahead)...

Arc IV, two volumes
Initiate's Trail (near complete)
Destiny's Conflict

Arc V, one volume
Song of the Mysteries

Expect that Initiate's Trial will stage this arc, but at a much faster pace, since Alliance of Light was the "tipping point" for the entire series. The payoff for that arc will roar in the second book, and just as Curse of the Mistwraith was all stage setting - Song of the Mysteries is all payoff for the entire sweep.

I don't mind you spreading the word as much as you like, that people realize what to expect - both with the flow of the arc formats, and with the ending volumes, set at 3. Expect the explosive delivery, and ending.

Coming soon...

By Annette on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 02:52 am: Edit Post

After reading the new blurb for Initiates Trial I finally came to a conclusion about this sneak preview. Seldie should have made sure she still had her "bargaining chip" before thinking she had anyone's game cornered. Seems likely she has now lost the enchantress she was grooming as her successor, lost her "bargaining chip" and has no way to force the fellowship to do anything. Be interesting to see how the timing of events occurred.

By jenni bramley on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 05:12 pm: Edit Post

What if the debt is in the past and this is a flashback? I know janny describes the prime but she never mentions her name and I just wonder...mainly because I don't want to think of what we have missed in the intervening years, and the characters that will be gone, like jeynsa

It's very much wishful thinking but I willcling on to my hope until the book comes out

By Annette on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 06:59 pm: Edit Post

Welcome jenni :-).

I believe the first sentence of the last paragraph of this sneak preview tells us this is Morriel/Selidie. I doubt any other Prime was ever desperate enough to use dark spellcraft to cheat death.

quote:

Perfect with youth, though she was in fact aged, her vitality served by dark spellcraft that cheated death, the Prime Matriarch tipped her coiffed blond head to acknowledge his careful greeting.

Janny will give us glimpses of what happened to some of the characters we left in Stormed Fortress. But the story will be set in the future well after Stormed Fortress. There is only around three months to wait now for the next book, but if you are impatient there are other previews and snippets around the message board that you could hunt for while waiting.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:39 am: Edit Post

Hi jenni bramley, welcome here!

As a general note (defined as evil author grin): :-) these books have been very carefully crafted so that the action moves FORWARD or is shown SIMULTANEOUSLY....if there is ever a 'flashback' it will relate to a PRESENT situation character flung into recall, or, if a character is flung forward in 'prophecy' - still, the on scene focus is PRESENT.

The story itself never loops back onto itself. It won't 'follow one course of action' then flip back in 'time' to 'follow another parallel course of action' - (check the date stamps on the chapters) therefore this scene would not be 'back in time'....happy speculation. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: