Third Sneak Peak - scavenger hunt

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Third Sneak Peak - scavenger hunt
   By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 07:26 pm: Edit Post

A little sneak peak has been posted at a site some of you are familiar with - go scavenge!

Be First To Post the Link Here!

By Sarah on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:41 pm: Edit Post

Ok I posted this in another topic but I saw this itty-bitty-teaser-one-sentence-snippet here:

http://www.librarything.com/topic/50143

I don't know if this is the one you meant but if this is all you can say without spoilers then you cannot imagine how excited I will be to get my hands on this book! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:35 am: Edit Post

Ah, no, that wasn't the hidden one I meant (it runs to 3 paragraphs or so)...but you get a point for the fifth line on page 56 of the going manuscript!

Keep seeking....

By Zorana Lewis on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:11 am: Edit Post

Well I -thought- I knew where it was....but it ain't there. So I'm either on the right website, but the wrong section, or I'm on the wrong website and the wrong section. :D I shall carry on searching.

By Walt on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:15 pm: Edit Post

It's too bad the internet isn't organized like Athera... then we could all split up into Lane Watches...

Dag nabbit! I thought I still had an old link to an old old snippit (Fugitive Prince) and can't find it now. Drat that Diligent Archiving!

By Clansman on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:07 pm: Edit Post

Okay, I tried one of Janny's faves (Redroom.com), and that was a bust. Her last post there was in March, unless I am missing something obvious.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

I tried the most obvious and searched through the discussion pages pertaining to "sneak peaks", "stormed Fortress", and "Initiate's Trial." Also a bust.

Quote: "Clue: think back. I've done this one before."

I don't think I've been on here long enough to know what you're talking about. (pout)

By Clansman on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:56 pm: Edit Post

Me neither, and I checked the Chrons, just to be sure. Nuthin', unless she posted it in the Lounge or some such place.

She is crafty, as we all know to our chagrin (and joy).

By Jay_Jay on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:09 pm: Edit Post

You're all looking in the wrong places, and Janny is enjoying this. Hint: you need to go north! ;-)

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 09:24 am: Edit Post

So wait, you've found it but your not going to tell us?
(puppy dog face) I'd tell you...

By Walt on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 09:39 am: Edit Post

Good luck Kirsten... Jay has a streak of gleeful deviousness that rivals Dakar in an Iyat storm.

hmmmmm....

North... north... Oh! I get it! North Pole! as in Santa knows, but he's not tellin' us...

By Janny Wurts on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 01:15 pm: Edit Post

Ah, you are all spinning about like weathercocks...and Jay, you are very cruel!

C'mon, you Canadians, she's one of your own!

That, folks, is a double entendre HINT!

By Clansman on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 01:42 pm: Edit Post

WINTER!

By Clansman on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 01:43 pm: Edit Post

NO. SANDTIGER!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 02:25 pm: Edit Post

I'm just really confused... :-(

By Walt on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

AAAAUUUUUUUUGHHHH! I lost Sandtiger's web info!

By Clansman on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:25 pm: Edit Post

I have sent her an e-mail, and it hasn't bounced back. I can't find nuthin' beyond her email address.

Probably thinks I'm some weird internet predator...unless she's lurking and laughing her head off with Janny at at the hoops they've put us through.

By Trys on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:39 pm: Edit Post

Right church wrong pew as they say. :-)

By John Parsons on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:56 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Dakar...his initiates reserve ... as much sensitivity as his former master.

His former master..Dakar..Initiate???

(Sound of boiling brains...)

John

PS Because I'm a helpful soul - try searching the chat area archives for Sandtiger.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 04:23 pm: Edit Post

John - you are Truly Cruel!!! And naughty, too. The stampede you are causing (in the wrong direction!) might just rebound.

Sandtiger, perhaps, could be kind enough to put the lot of you out of your misery...if she's even aware her ears are burning...helpful soul that she is (usually).

KEEP SEEKING!

By John Parsons on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 05:25 pm: Edit Post

Not Cruel!!!

A search for 'Sandtiger' as a message author gets you to message
http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/show.cgi?tpc=1544&post=29352#POST29352

I thought that was a very helpful clue!!

John

By Jay_Jay on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 05:52 pm: Edit Post

Indeed, John, indeed! :D

By Kirk Besette on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 05:56 pm: Edit Post

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&artid=<49405da3.0@news.sff.net>

By Walt on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 06:29 pm: Edit Post

ooooo....

Brain spinning!
Maddly boiling!
Mad Prophet Whining!
Speculation Resulting!

By Neil on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 07:24 pm: Edit Post

czerneda I figured already but where exactly...several christmas party red wines later :-) {REMEMBER UK time and this was soooo difficult to type.... }

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 07:24 pm: Edit Post

I already found both of those by searching through the discussions here for Sandtiger and I... to my chagrin... don't understand how they help us.

By Sandtiger on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 08:50 pm: Edit Post

::laugh:: I come in to find I am a hot topic. Who knew?

I did get - and respond to - Clansman's email (No, I did not think you were a predator...) - so I had to see what was happening. I've been horribly remiss in posting lately - work just keeps getting busier - and time flies.

But hey - this was a great excuse to post again - even if Clansman didn't post the link first.

Sandtiger

By Dave on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 08:55 pm: Edit Post

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.people.julie-czerneda&artnum=3117 82
iam too nice a guy cant stand the suffing sorry

By Sandtiger on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 08:55 pm: Edit Post

Thoughtfully done. Although torment can be fun. :-)

By Brittani on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 09:34 pm: Edit Post

Oh Thank you so much Dave. My google search page was about to go on strike.

After our legion worked together to get a snippet, they turned against eachother when it came time to finding it. I am at a loss for words.

So onto speculation, why would clansmen want to bag the Mad Prophet? That is just backwards.
Also I am thinking Dakar has made some pretty big improvements in the 200 or so years that we have missed.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 04:44 am: Edit Post

Methinks it's just Dakar, inadvertantly wandering into Clan scout lines instead of announcing himself, personally, but wth do I know? (Clanny's not allowed to answer that one!). 200 years can change a LOT of things...and yes, am with you on the demise of the Legion. Still, we all know that Janny delights in turning us on our heads, so the LEGION achieved its goal of getting her attention, AND a snippet, Mme. Brittani. If need be, we will rise again *maniacal laughter follows*

By Julie on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 06:14 pm: Edit Post

Thank you Janny..please ma'am may we have some more??? I don't think Dakar "blundered" into clan territory. He was either passing through the free wilds close to Paravian sites or hostile town territory. BOth would require use of his mage talents. It seems even though his skills have improved, details elude him!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:00 am: Edit Post

For the record... if I had found it first I would have announced it immediately. Forever loyal to the legion.

Thanks for the snippet, Janny. And, Dave, thanks for having pity on the rest of us.

By Clansman on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:09 am: Edit Post

YEAH!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:48 am: Edit Post

Quietest response to a sneak peak, ever....is this pique because I turned it into a hunt, Chez Julie? (Who's a good talespinner in her own right.)

She's the one who has the tradition of "Birthday snippets" - without her egging, too, who knows?

(Arithon-in-waiting snippet - still waiting).

By Walt on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:15 pm: Edit Post

Naw... no pique here. As promised, your snippit has broiled our craniums to a light golden brown with a side of brussels sprouts.

;^)

Perhaps we could be persuaded to awaken from our crisped state with an Arithon exerpt [note that I didn't say snippet!!].

We luv ya Janny! As I've said many a time, Don's a lucky man.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 01:31 pm: Edit Post

My brain is lightly boiled as well. Sorry for the lack of comment. It has more to do with my hectic life and all of the crisis' surrounding it than with your snippet.

No pique here.
As always, you do more than impress.

By BillBob on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 02:20 pm: Edit Post

Real life has precluded the time to read the snippet as we just implemented a new version of our HR software here at work and post implementation issues although minimal have been enough to keep us running through the day and into the early evening.

By Konran on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 02:24 pm: Edit Post

Grateful for the peek as always, just trying to mull through the few clues before I comment fully :-)

By Clansman on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 02:35 pm: Edit Post

What everyone else said.

Sorry, swamped with pre-Christmas child access motions.

I think my head is about to explode.

By Brittani on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 07:04 pm: Edit Post

Ditto,

Only I am dealing with pneumonia and college finals at the same time.

But I am very very happy about the tid bit. I wonder if the term "bagged" was used in sarcasm?

By squeak on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 09:58 pm: Edit Post

It took me a bit, but I found it! Thank you Janny for the snippet. I came out of lurk again -I will be out for break soon (which I desparately need from my students):-) and will probably re-read the tid bit again. I have, however, given up on pre-guessing overmuch. I am never correct and enjoy the surprises all the more.

Lee Ball

By Kimberly Israel on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 08:19 pm: Edit Post

Read the snippet (a tease, as always - way too short!) but am confused - is Sandtiger Julie Czerneda? Because if so, and if she stops here, I need to take a minute to rave about the "Species Imperative" series where she can actually hear me!

By Trys on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:40 pm: Edit Post

Kimberly,

No Sandtiger is not Julie Czerneda. Sandtiger is Jana Paniccia also a Canadian author and co-editor of Under Cover of Darkness with Julie. :-)

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 03:47 pm: Edit Post

A wave to Squeak, and the other delurkers - and Kimberly, you can tell Julie how pleased you were with her title in her newsgroup at sff.net, where the snippet was posted.

By motley on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:33 pm: Edit Post

snippity yum. Thanks for the birthday/yuletide offering - also been a-moving and a-christmassing. Just found it!

Motley-in-BrightonUK.

By Sundancer on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:52 am: Edit Post

Happy New Year Janny and all

Thanks for the snippet Janny, lovely Christmas present and another tantalising glimpse, though I am much relieved to learn there are still clan-folk about protecting the deep wilds.

I love Dakar's evolution - one day I'll make a collection of all the ways Janny describes him - some of the best are in Vastmark I think, just before he starts to change. But now he's not an apprentice any more (or does the reference to his 'former master' mean Asandir has gone from Athera?), and yet he still manages to make mistakes.

Now there's a wild bit of speculation - Davien has broken the dragons' binding and the F7 have scarpered off to Alithiera and left the rest of the humans to look after themselves (and Athera). Even if they could - would they abandon us all mid-stream before the Paravian restoration was assured?

Just remembered that Asandir makes appearances in both other previews, but I still like the image of them all flitting off to heaven together and abandoning all their earthly cares.

By Craftsman on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:58 am: Edit Post

[Quotes Traitor's Knot, therefore spoilers]

Davien:"...We are bound to our fate. Paravian survival will be enforced, since our fellowship has not found the means to break the binding the great drakes laid over us."
Arithon:"Would you try?"
Davien:"Ciladis would willingly speak on that point, if you should ever chance to encounter him. Whatever he might say, the primary issue was never in doubt. Paravian survival is paramount."

Point of interest, that Davien's answer could imply that Ciladis had a different veiw on the subject...

[Stormed Fortress Spoilers]

Also, with Seshkrozchiel hanging around, do you think that the Fellowship could really manage to break their bindings? To quote Janny in the FAQs, "you do NOT want to get entangled with a Drake"

By Trys on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 01:02 pm: Edit Post

But what would Ciladis's point of view be... for or against?

By Craftsman on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:27 am: Edit Post

Ciladis is the most joyful of the fellowship, and the one who took the leaving of the paravians the hardest - it is hard to imagine him willingly abandoning them to die.

However, there is also Janny's comment in the FAQ's... that Ciladis has two colours because he changed. Davien's comment is that the Paravians are the most important, whatever Ciladis might say. That would imply to me that Ciladis thought differently.

To summarise, our illustrious author has us all tied up in knots, and our pale attempts to fathom her intentions are all in vain! :-)

By Sundancer on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:23 am: Edit Post

['ware Spoilers]

Craftsman quote of Janny: "You do NOT want to get entangled with a Drake"

Hmmm, so what has happened to Davien this book with his entanglement with Seshkroschiel? Has it dragged him off all unwilling to adventures he never foresaw?

How has it changed the dragons?

Craftsman, I have always interpreted the conversation about Ciladis as being one where Davien states/implies Ciladis expected Davien to want to break the drake's binding more than he cared for Paravian survival. I find it hard to believe Ciladis would value the Paravians less than Davien does. Still, interesting suggestion... Janny excels at the ambiguous and tripping us on our assumptions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: