Archive through November 23, 2008

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Rampant speculations...: Archive through November 23, 2008
   By motley on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:26 am: Edit Post

['WARE! THERE BE STORMED FORTRESS SPOILER HERE!]

Having asked S'Brydion to quit their stronghold, would Arithon actually join forces with Lysaer, using the Light Religion's cause to eventually create harmony between townborn and clan? Maybe not in this book, but hopefully, this Arc?

At some point the Wraiths are going to invade, and Light & Shadow have to work together this would require a reconciliation - can Lysaer actually go free... can his brother sing him free...

The Necromancers are going to redouble their efforts...

Elaira's crystal going back to the Koriani - the crystals are held in subservience to the Sisters - and see Elaira as freedom? The Biedar are their 'ancient enemy'. Surely that's going to draw some of the Koriani fire, over Glendien's child.

The methuri, the necromancers shades, the Koriani Matriarch, the wraiths, The Curse, wyverns, iyats and grimwards... can they too be scoured out with a blast of Paravian inspired music? Arithon's empathy and mastery can resonate with the old paravian rites - he's not necessarily enacting them, just using the principle of entrainment - resonance. The paravians don't have to return...

Maybe he'll found a new line of masterbards and create a bardic culture that can entrain those mysteries... maybe that's why the future people are able to revision the past, they are adept, yet they don't seem to have paravians around... and then the Dragons will not need the F7... Oooo.

Asandir said that Alestron would be sealed until the Paravian's come to judge - but then the ending - where 'for centuries' the passersby noticed that the F7 flag on the topmost keep didn't fade. Centuries.

hm.

(Message edited by admin on March 26, 2008)

By Neil on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:54 am: Edit Post

Anyone care to speculate on the Biedar obligation that Arithon does not "endorse"?

Presumably the Biedar feel Arithon has a "bizarre obligation" to them but they need his free will permission?

What on Athera could this be?

By Blue on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 05:26 pm: Edit Post

Embracing Kingship?

By Clansman on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:23 am: Edit Post

BEWARE: THERE IS A GAME OF THRONES BY GEORGE R.R. MARTIN SPOILER!!

Embracing Kingship indeed?

I am keeping in mind the manner in which Arithon has resolved other problems in the past without F7 guidance, that no one predicted, and with results that were down a path that arose unexpectedly, but logically, when it seemed there were no other choices left to him.

We should not be waiting for what I will call a "foresighted logical" ending. As Janny said in another thread, the logic always appears in hindsight...Cruel, cruel woman!

One thing we have all learned in this series over the last decade and a half is that Janny is anything but predictable. Everyone was mad (forgive my hyperbole) at the way CotMW ended, but that ending was so important to this series being something more than a trivial escapist lark. And you can really see that with utter clarity seven books later. In fact, I think CotMW gave George RR Martin the courage to kill off Ned Stark in A Game of Thrones and to stage the Red Wedding.

I think Motley's speculation bears close scrutiny, particularly about Arithon's bardic gifts being learned by others and passed on. Perhaps the Paravians will never return, and humanity will finally learn how to live with itself and within its environment, thereby taking the Paravians' place. Artihon will take the path least expected, indeed, the unseen path.

And I think that Lysaer will surprise us all, ere the end...

This being said, we are probably waaaaaay off! Still, it's fun!!

By Julie on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 10:58 am: Edit Post

Clansman, I agree about Lysaer. Most of the scenes with him Stormed Fortress showed his inherent desire to reagin sanity. Somehow I don't think Janey would write him that way or give Arithon so much apparent trust in Lysaer's salvation if he were to remain the same old character.

By Christopher Beckett on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:01 pm: Edit Post

[THERE BE STORMED FORTRESS SPOILER HERE!]

Clansman, I couldn't agree more that Lysaer will come good in the end.

His innate character is good, just shot through with some very ingrained flaws from childhood which have been twisted beyond measure by the Mistwraith's curse. I think that the core of this entire series is leading not to Arithorn's victory against the odds, but Lysaer's redemption.

His gift of justice will surely lead to him overthrowing the curse, perhaps in the name of a 'sacrifice for the greater good.' As has been said manyu times, Lysaer has a choice and can choose to throw off the curse, if only he can see that he needs to, and his greater empathies would have to be roused for that to happen.

HOW this comes about is clouded, as between Arithon's unconventionality, through the potential issues of Elaira & the Koriathain, Glendien's daughter (who could be salvation or nemesis in the end), Davien and the Dragon, the potential return of the Paravians, escape of Desh-thiere or attack of the Wraiths from Marak, not to mention Lysaer's own issues, almost anything could happen at this point....

But I think Lysaer will be in line for a Snape scale redemption, even though it's been much much much better written and hidden.

As for Motley's idea about the bardic culture, I think it's a good one, but Arithon cannot teach the uncanny mix of mage training, F7 implanted gift of compassion and natural talent (let alone hundreds of years of practise) that makes him the greatest Masterbard ever - although his Lyranthe will clearly have more than a little role to play in the endgame which none of us can possibly see the path to.

But isn't it WONDERFUL to try and second guess Janny, sure in the knowledge we will be so very wrong?

Oh, and I don't think Arithon will EVER be King - should Glendein's child live, then there is another outlet for the s'Ffalen gifts, and crown - perhaps Arithon will be spared the need for the crown, and actually be allowed to retire with Elaira.

Nah - thats too nice and obvious for Janny, unless of course she wants us to think that, and..

My head hurts.

C

(Message edited by admin on November 23, 2008)