Archive through February 14, 2009

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through February 14, 2009
   By Konran on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:04 am: Edit Post

Glad to hear you're on a roll there, and nice to know even the pros have trouble too! XP *says the girl with three more reference pictures to draw*

By Julie on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 08:06 pm: Edit Post

Janny- Just wanted to put my vote in for a Sulfen Evand snippet.Of course I will appreciate what ever you toss to us!

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 07:06 pm: Edit Post

Time for a BEER!
Just slugged it through the middle bit, one bit of the puzzle slid into place and - ah hah! - one scene, two scenes, a little skip and a jump - NINE SET will take me into the zoom that leads to the FINALE!!!!

Do I feel happy and smug?

AND the page count, by gosh, has been held in check - ample room for the wattage to light up and explode. YES!!!! :-)

Silly grins are the best. And, to boot, the temp climbed up out of the fifties for the first time in days, this afternoon (F scale, not C) so I got to stop writing under a darned blanket.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 06:58 am: Edit Post

Then you definitely don't want to try writing here in Maryland, Janny. We've been hanging out in the twenties and thirties Fahrenheit for most of 2009 so far (although yesterday was pretty decent). At least we Yanks don't have to face what the poor folks in Australia are going thru...

Now, about that spoiler.....;-)

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:14 am: Edit Post

Mark, I'm looking for one that doesn't require ten lines to the page, blacked out, to avoid Major spoils...and I know, about Maryland, I spent part of my childhood there, and a whole lot more of my life in Pennsylvania, then a short span in Connecticut...if I NEVER bust ice off a watertrough AGAIN, or deal with snow without skis on...see the grin?

Though, wow, after all the frosts (multiple) that browned up the planting, here, and the fact it stressed the live oaks into an early shed - we had one chilly cloudy, wettish day last week that REALLY looked deja vu, for November or early March...colorless, cold, gray...I miss none of that.

By Hunter on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:35 pm: Edit Post

46.4 degrees Celsius here in Victoria on Saturday, bushfires and 108 people dead so far. North Queensland has had 300mm (12 inches) of rain per day for several days. Not good..

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:51 pm: Edit Post

Hunter - sympathy to the stricken. Pictures of those fires in SE Australia made the our local paper - amazing, since the publication is tiny. Means the scale of event in world affairs must be utterly devastating.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 06:26 pm: Edit Post

My apologies for not posting in a while. I've been concentrating on finishing a book that I'm hoping to send off to a literary agent. I honestly haven't gotten on here in over a week and while I realize statistics say I'll get turned down I'm hoping for the best.

Once again, thanks for all the advice on books to read and what to do, Janny! :-)

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:49 pm: Edit Post

I am lurking - if not posting much. Work's keeping me nicely insane - although I've been keeping busy in other ways as well.

Most important of these - I am 50 pages from the end of my YA novel - which is a good feeling. If I can just find two weekends to get away, the draft will be done. Fortunately, I can do revisions anytime. My goal is to have it polished by the summer.

I also have the AGES OF WONDER Anthology Lauch in March at the Ad Astra Convention in Toronto. I have a story in this anthology (edited by Rob St. Martin and Julie Czerneda) called, "A Swift Changing Course" - it will mark my first sea adventure story, so it has a special place in my heart.

Jana ::Sending good thoughts to Kirsten for finishing *her* book!::

By Janny Wurts on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:36 am: Edit Post

Jana - go, Jana, go - certain of us have been waiting a Long Time for you to finish this book!!!

Kirsten - wishing you the very best, getting your finished work placed. You've done the first half, on the road to success - the second half, Never Give Up, and keep looking out for those opportunities - they may not always take the shape you expect.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 08:36 am: Edit Post

Congrats as well, Jana and thanks a lot to you and Janny for the support. We'll see how it goes. :-)

By Sundancer on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 03:35 am: Edit Post

Conratulations Jana, look forward to hearing when it's out, and good luck Kirsten.

Flew over Victoria today for work (commercial flight) - the fires are still burning, I could see where the smoke rose, though not so hot with this cool change. I still can't believe the temperatures of last week. But I'd still rather be hot than inches of snow and sleet.

Janny, you sound so bubbly and excited about this book, we're all cheering you on! No energy for speculation at the moment - too many 12+ hours working days lately. No time even to read :-(

By Hunter on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 06:37 am: Edit Post

Congrats Jana! Hope it all goes well.

By Sandtiger on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 04:23 pm: Edit Post

Thanks to everyone for the votes of confidence - and for Janny's many years of encouragement. ::Grin:: Go Janny.

As to seeing it come out - well, we'll see if someone wants to buy it when it's done. Who knows.

But - if you want to get a kick out of how my brain works - ever since finishing my first screenplay last summer, I've been considering what to do next.

Yesterday, I was chatting with a friend at Starbucks. She reminded me it might take a while to write the second script, since I wasn't going to work from a treatment (i.e., a comprehensive outline).

My response..."What I want to do next is something fun - fantasy - adventure - special effects that would translate well to the screen. Nothing too big budget. Something like my book. ::Pause as a brainwave hits:: Oh. OH!"

So - looks like when I am finished the book, I'm going to then turn around and write the adapted screenplay.

I keep thinking there should be something wrong with doing this - but who cares. I am going to do it anyways because I will have a grand time doing it. I am already itching to start.

But not until I finish the book. Seriously. Nope. Not allowed.

Jana ::who now really can't WAIT to finish the book::

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:24 pm: Edit Post

Go Jana!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 06:52 pm: Edit Post

That's wonderful, Jana!

On a different note, I did get my first rejection letter, but it was probably the best I'm ever going to get. She said, "Thanks so much for the kind words. Alas, Iím not too fond of angel/demon type urban fantasy, so Iím going to pass. But I do wish you the very best of luck on your publishing journey. Remember to enjoy the ride! :-)"

In my defense, I looked to see if she was into it and thought that she was. Turns out that she likes paranormal but not angel/demon stuff. Oh, well. I am now looking for another.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 03:17 pm: Edit Post

Kirsten - another step on the journey - that was not just a stock reply, and that bodes very well in your favor.