Archive through March 03, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through March 03, 2010
   By Janny Wurts on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 09:40 pm: Edit Post

So quiet in here, I feel like I've gone deaf.

No dinner yet. Just quit writing - in case anyone thought I was goofing off, eat shoe. Draft count, 940. Status: hitting off the last scene in main chapter 13...still on track with the carefully optimistic projection of 14 chapters sets.

Muahhhhahaaaa! I know what's gonna happen....(is she punchy or brain-dead or starving hungry, or What!)

By Dan Henby on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:29 am: Edit Post

Woo hoo!

1 more chapter set. Awesome!

Janny, just wanted to wish you a happy Australia Day from your Aussie fans. Looking forward to seeing IT, in about 13 months?
:-)

By wayne harper on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 06:32 am: Edit Post

Good going there janny just started reading stormed fortress at last im nearly up to date cant wait for the newest book.

By Walt on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:01 pm: Edit Post

Woot! Almost time to dance a few jigs... and just in time, I found most of my volumes (just to special to be called merely books) after moving from California to Utah! Time to re-read again!

Manic masses managing many marathons masticating meaty manuscripts, making merry memorizing Maitz's matron's masterpieces!

By Neil on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 05:45 pm: Edit Post

I'm *watching* but have given up speculating for the moment...although I was rereading Arithon chatting to Sulfin chez Bieder and that bizarre obligation...

Well, I have "chalice" to read then maybe "shadow isle" and "silver mage" (*someone* made it thro' their 20 year + story last year!) "Under Heaven" and then, then... "Initiates Trial" :-)

By Alistair Clark on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 06:03 pm: Edit Post

(*someone* made it thro' their 20 year + story last year!)

But is it really the end though? :P

Very exciting news tough :D

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:03 pm: Edit Post

Hi Dan - Australia Day - clue me? This is the other side of the globe...:-)

wayne harper - are you new, here? Of so, welcome, if I've already done that, slap me back to THIS reality. Are you an old reader just laying hot hands on Stormed Fortress, or a new one who steamed straight through? (yes, curious)

Neil - if you hair isn't standing on end, yet, it will be...

What 20plus year story - let us bumblers in on the conversation, eh?

Oh, slaps forehead - they come here for status reports...five pages ahead of where things parked, yesterday. May not be done, yet, sparks could still fly. (read: character in hot water).

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:07 pm: Edit Post

I could very well be wrong, but we celebrate Australia Day because it was the day our colony was either founded or discovered - For some reason, that part of my history hasn't stuck in my head.

Basically, it's a great excuse for many of us to have a day off work, have our family and mates around for a barbie and general "piss up"...

I'm not as patriotic about it all as some can be, but I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere surrounding the day. (It's not like "Anzac Day" where we honour our fallen soldiers - it's more just a convenient excuse for a day off)

Think of it to be along the lines of your Independence Day, though for slightly different reasons...

By Hunter on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 09:24 pm: Edit Post

Australia Day is the anniversary of arrival the First Fleet into Botany Bay, to establish British sovereignty over Terra Australis and, more importantly, to establish convict settlements.

I would think the US equivalent is more akin to Thanksgiving than Independence Day as it is more about the first settlers to the (to the settlers) new land.

As Australia becomes more multi-cultural and evolves as nation, what it actually means to be "Australian" becomes increasingly unclear as there are many differing opinions on what this means.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 10:49 am: Edit Post

Thanks both of you - I don't like to presume on things I honestly don't know. Globalization and Political Correctness don't exempt holidays, yes? The same, here. Interesting (everywhere sort of general note) if some folks think adjusting the terminology or whatever is the same thing as righting an inequity by doing...

On the status front, it was a productive night. I squeezed out another page before shut down, then woke up insomniac - and there came the ideas - so it was up again for a frantic, furtive scribble in the bathroom, so as not to wake Don (he woke anyhow, and told me, "turn on the light, already!"

I can do notes in the dark, too, but it's safer when they run to pages to have SOME assurance the pen that kicks about in the bedside drawer is actually working, and not frozen up. I've cursed that happening, won't repeat the mistake.

By Jason Dagle on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

I just finished up "Silver Mage" too Neil, nice to finally see that story conclude ... so I thought I'd check in here to follow up on another long running series to see the status of "Intitate's Trial", any projected dates yet?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 05:41 pm: Edit Post

Status - 950, and the roll for today is still blazing. I hope to wrap this scene, and pitch into the next tomorrow, that was fragmented in previews through last night's furious scribbling.

I will give you projected dates, at the finish - very much nearer, now.

Welcome here, Jason Dagle, you are likely a few more days away from the party, check back to see when we pop the corks. Should be soon, now.

By Alistair Clark on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:19 pm: Edit Post

Wonderful news!

Am definitely very excited about this. All the books I read are just to pass the time until the next one in your wonderful series comes out :-)

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 07:11 pm: Edit Post

Yay! I'm getting my emails ready to bombard my contacts at HC - hmmm, at least a month?- after you've told us you've submitted the 'finished' manuscript! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:09 pm: Edit Post

Nailed this sequence, which wraps 13's main sequence - status of draft, page 952.

It's the end-run, now, folks.

I have a bit of polish on this, and a nice pack of notes to kick the cold start of the first subchapter of 13 into motion, tomorrow. The best news of all, the action's straight on target. 14 sets ought to peg what's left on the tack board for this opening volume of Arc IV. Here's hoping!

By Cyndi Reeves on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:32 am: Edit Post

Janny - I am fairly new to here- do I recall reading someplace that it is about a year from you wrapping up the actual writing to book on shelves? If that is not right, what is the approximate time frame. I LOVE this series, my favorite after Lord of the Rings - and I am dying to get more of Arithon!!

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

Cyndi Reeves - welcome here!

Hoping for a better time frame than that...please wait for the announcement, which will be firm once I've got the last scenes down. And there are only a few to go. It's a double bang finish, one's kicked in motion, the fuse for the next goes off, today.

I'm into the first subchapter of 13.

Fourteen sets is the projected finish.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 03:26 pm: Edit Post

Wow. What a nice surprise after having not been on here in a week. I've been busy adapting to the new member of my family, now one week old. I'm so excited for this book to be done. Good luck. Can't wait for the next update. :-)

By Phome on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:09 pm: Edit Post

Janny - I'm curious whether you get what we call "finishing fever" among academic writers? Not everyone has it. Some people have "starting fever" to get onto new projects, but have trouble completing them. Others (like me) wake up in the middle of the night or work all hours to work till the end ...

(Good luck with the completion! So exciting).

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

Ah, close to finished. In the interest of completion, will abstain just this once from snippet mongering! ;-)

By wayne harper on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 08:22 am: Edit Post

just finished stormed fortress all i can say is wow dont think i can wait for the next book drooling allready to find out more about the story.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:26 am: Edit Post

hi wayne harper - thanks so much for making my day!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:12 am: Edit Post

After several days carefully laying in pages, scene, detail, repeat/the meat of the chapter tumbled out yesterday.

Could be I could hit the twist and cap this scene, today, and knock off another milestone. Let's see...

By Benjamin James on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:30 am: Edit Post

Keep up the good work, im really looking forward to "the wait" if that makes sense. At least then ill know roughly howe long its going to be!
On the upside i get to rampage through loads of random books ive bought and got pushed to the side for re-reads of most of the series i own (especially yours).

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 05:40 pm: Edit Post

Benjamin James - you'll be pleased to hear I'm going at these final scenes like the hammers.

I thought this bit could be wound off in just over 20 pages of draft...wrong. It is, darn it, quite a pivotal scene. I'm closing on 25, and probably will need 30 to hit finish, on this bit.

Then it's a hop to finish 13, the BIG sprint through the finale scenes in fourteen set, to jump/jump (two subchapters for closure), to the little one liners that zip this thing up and stage....the NEXT.

Oh, man, Destiny's Conflict...I already KNOW the first scene. grin.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 10:04 am: Edit Post

Now then, let's not be getting ahead of ourselves....

*Gently takes the Talespinner by the hand and leads her back to Mehalla's throne (think LeBron James and the Sports Center commercial, and you'll get the idea), places her hands back on the keyboard in front of a screen with "Chapter 14" in bold, then covers the Whiteboard containing "Destiny's Conflict" ideas. Waggles an admonishing finger*

Finish Initiate's Trial for us long-suffering types, or I'll renege on my Snippet Baiting Moratorium! ;)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 11:02 am: Edit Post

cough - I have a scene to finish off and polish, and another subchapter, and 3 one-liners to go before that XIV goes up on the screen....who's jumping ahead?

(puts down the story binoculars and digs back in.)

One windup scene - after a left right punch doozie. I have spent 950 pages of careful steps leading up to this - now the Whammy of the delivery. That feels so darned good I could SHOUT.

(Arc openers are BEARS.)

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

Ah, so Arc openers follow the stock market, then....

*waits for canned laughter*

Saw that you had some more to go on 13, good Talespinner, but thought the chapter milestone might be a more prominent reminder...plus it gets me an update on where things are at! :D

Now, if you were up here in Md., the snow would leave you no choice BUT to write!

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 12:29 pm: Edit Post

Nah, I am in Florida, WRITING, and not in snowy Maryland, therefore NOT SHOVELLING OUT.

Don't miss that bit.

You want an update? - page count is 980. Subchapter should end in 5 more, story willing. It's another fire-starter.

If the real bears had a say in the stock market circus, certain greedy bastards and bankers who fund hostile mergers would be treed!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

Treed? Eaten, more likely, and I DON'T mean in the hostile takeover sense (brokers are a good appetizer for a large batch of Chinook salmon, of course). Puts them in the same entree selection as AIG execs who accept bonuses and golden parachutes on my investment AND tax dollar after THAT mess last year...

Shoveling...

*goes momentarily weak in the knees*

2.5 feet already removed from driveway, walk and a foot back from front gutter (ice dams highly undesirable). Resting for later assault on 5 foot snow bank created by plow in front of driveway....

*Senses Gryphon lurking above the storm and hastily returns to IT discussion*

Well, my 1001 page estimate looks to be a bit short....Clanny's guess would seem to be in pretty good position....

By Trys on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 02:04 pm: Edit Post

Mark,

I started a winter storm topic in Miscellaneous. :-)

Try

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 06:59 pm: Edit Post

The subchapter topped out at 27 pages...whopper long, but there it is. I'll worry about that later.

Into the roll to finish, now...the punch that I worried about is definitely happening with the effective intensity I pitched for.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:06 am: Edit Post

I for one am glad that you don't have to shovel snow and can focus on finishing IT. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:00 pm: Edit Post

Guess what's happening?!?

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:02 pm: Edit Post

OOH! I have to know, though I don't know the right questions!!

By Danielle on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:33 am: Edit Post

Hey Janny

This is my first post.
In October '09 I read the first two Arcs. I then had to wait till Christmas for Arc 3 of the series. Which would not come soon enough. I finished them last week. As I was nearing the end of Stormed Fortress. I couldn't wait to finish it. But on the other hand I didn't want it to end, if you know what I mean. I absolutely loved them. Am now looking forward to the following books. All the best in your continued writing.

Danielle

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:36 pm: Edit Post

Hey Danielle - welcome here!!! So pleased you had a fun ride - not long to wait for the next, now.

Here's the "insider view" of where 'THE PROCESS OF AUTHOR' was yesterday (picking up the ENTRY into the opening scenes of the second sub-chapter of 13 set, prior to the closing set slated for the finale finish, at 14...and (which today, WAHOOO!) is now underway and picking up thundering pace ---

What's fascinating here at the writing desk: (shrug) (yay, no e mail from the editor asking why it's NOT DONE ALREADY!!!! eep, grin, nearly there, sprint, sprint, gotta sprint c'mon IDEAS - rattles Muse, Hard...) Ah, here's just the atmospheric bit opening the scene, with the first concrete ACTION line looming, still... the catalysts for the explosive next step are still morphing - idea/nah/idea?/nope/IDEA?/Better, not quite/IDEA???/almost, kick it back/kick butt some more, daggonit, because - sorry, muse, that (idea) just did not cut it, too slooooow, and just NOT enough IMMEDIATE BANGO LIVE CHARGE/ I_D_E_A???/nearly, but top it!!!! (yup, I am such a freaking task master. I hate stuff that just goes bouncy, bouncy boring me with mere 'adequacy'....) it has to surprise ME to burn the fire hot enough.

It's like hit miss/hit miss/hit miss, hit, bang thumb, hit, whap out a curse, HIT HARDER - ah HAH!!!! NAIL THAT BIT - but, crestfallen, there's only a partial spark, here, so, back to it - hit and miss again, no ignition, yet, and just keep chasing mental thought tails in blasted circles till the launching explosion Happens.

Conversations with the muse are SOOOOO boring for outsiders. Grin. My creative day isn't nearly filled with news worth mentioning. Or stuff I can talk about.

Makes for pretty dull correspondence - a whole other UNIVERSE to draw on, and it has to stay "dark" till the book is out....probably friends have concluded, "she's obsessed"....perhaps not the case, but the nature of the job.

And You, lucky people - have surprises in store!

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:50 pm: Edit Post

Janny

If there is one thing i have learned since first reading your books and reading on this forum is one thing.

You always have surprises in store for us!!!

Yay Janny

By Brian Rowe on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 07:23 pm: Edit Post

Mark
Don't knock the "I already KNOW the first scene. grin" I am sure that Janny roughs (polishes) tthe paticular story line and decides wich bit goes in this book and which in the next - continuity almost demands this approach when you have such a complexity of characters and plots/sub-plots and wheels within wheels.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 06:08 pm: Edit Post

A wave and a wink to Brian Rowe - knowing a first scene in advance just speeds up the writing of that, when I get there.

Status: Ack - crap!!! 992 pages, draft, already, tipping into the scene that will shift the zap into high gear for this bit chapter.

(ah, damn, length (sound of hair ripping) there will be a severe trim needed on my own polish up before turn in...pray no editorial cuts, outright, this volume definitely deserves THIS ending.)

(snaps fingers, presto! solution: more readers can support a fat press run/eyes squeezed shut to pop off the happy wish made delightfully possible by the N. American re-issue - and - just six more weeks to Stormed Fortress, on this side)

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 09:37 pm: Edit Post

By DarthJazy on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:18 pm: Edit Post

993 pages so far not much more till you at the legnth of "the stand". This is going to be one heck of a release!!

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 01:07 pm: Edit Post

Draft pages are not print pages. Melt off about a third, when converted to typeset text...and melt off (I hope) a hundred or MORE, when I prune it down, before turn in.

Ack. Crap. The editors may uproot some of MY hair...or, er, I'll do it fussing to shorten what I can.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 02:55 pm: Edit Post

By DarthJazy on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 03:11 pm: Edit Post

they were able to print the stand at overa 1000 pages in a single binding so your safe i hope.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 04:30 pm: Edit Post

Thought, on a gray rainy Friday (here) you'd like to see the creation in 'real time' --- any guesses what the page count may be by quit point, today?

Darth Jazy - the BOOK will not be 1000 pages - typeset text is tighter than draft manuscript. I do not have the numbers of The Stand (yet....snort!) to be worry free, over a length that might not cost out easily for the publisher.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:34 pm: Edit Post

By wayne harper on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:47 pm: Edit Post

Lets have a party for page 1000?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 09:14 pm: Edit Post

wayne harper - glory be, I wish!

Pause for a scene change, feed cats and horses, jog, put in the dinner, change cds.

Adjust a few lines, caught stride again, (this will ramp up to become the peak moment for this subchapter, likely, yes.) Looked up as Don came in the door from an opening and -

By DarthJazy on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 10:33 pm: Edit Post

good job janny you da woman 998 at end of day woot.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

Last night: one more paragraph was completed before I quit at close to 11, by the chat's clock.

This am - reviewed/revised the last bit....skidded forward and created two pages of advance snatches of the next scene - high points, chunks of dialogue, separated by holes.

Once the flow settled into sequence, 999, 1000....

with the typed jottings of fragmented notes skipping ahead, awaiting the bridging bits to fill them in.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 04:42 pm: Edit Post

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 06:28 pm: Edit Post

Well, 1001 was my guess, and you still have Chapter 14 to go, don't you? Clanny's 1045 is looking better all the time....

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 06:39 pm: Edit Post

Time for dinner, OUT, and a beer break - I have book pressure cabin fever something terrible.

Hope to jump back in for the finale of this scene, tonight - band practice will eat half of tomorrow and I'd like to be done with this bit...that's ambitious, however.

Five page days are very good progress.

If the ideas cooperate on the one-liners, could be into the last set by Monday...IF the clean up on these scenes goes quick.

By DarthJazy on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 07:21 pm: Edit Post

Janny your a work aholic and we love you for it. Three cheers for the best author

HIP HIP HAZAHH!
HIP HIP HAZAHH!
HIP HIP HAZAHH!

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:08 am: Edit Post

By DarthJazy on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:04 pm: Edit Post

wow Janny well I hope you havea nice day off Janny and enjoy a wonderful Valentines day with your hubby!!

By Maggie on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:00 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

This is my first post, and I debated whether I should do my homework, or write here instead. You can see what won! I just needed to tell you how very evil your books are. They are evil because they are way too good. You have ruined all other books for me, forever! Since I first read your books a few years ago, I havenít read a single one I liked more, or thought was better written. Itís not fair, because you havenít written enough books yet to keep me occupied for the rest of my life!

In all seriousness, I have found your books to be top notch in so many ways. Not only is the storyline captivating, your ability to write without grammar mistakes or awkward phrasing means I am never distracted from the storyline for the writing.

That being said, I am impatiently waiting for the next book!

Now I guess I need to go back and read my uninteresting textbook instead of yours :-(

By Janny Wurts on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:34 am: Edit Post

Valentine's day - I took time off for my guy. :-)

Maggie - welcome here - wow, do you know how to make an author happy - thanks for your so very kindly note! I could recommend that you look in the Book Nook (or ask there) for reading suggestions while you wait - the people here have some pretty good ones, and time to time, I list my favorites, too.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:48 pm: Edit Post

1012...check.

I am now lacing up the one-liners, which will put this subchapter at 30 draft pages, and wrap 13 set at 1013 total count.

The past few days? Had to set up a ringing finish, then be SURE all the little threads dotted their i's and crossed their t's - no logic gaps, all the bits settled in place as they should.

Now to peg the one liners to set the stage for 14 set...no room for waste, if I am to round out the book in 14 sets, and not spill to 15. This IS the finale scene, however...that action is bursting onto the stage, bang on full thundering course.

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 01:27 pm: Edit Post

*drool* Wow i think that is worse than your teasers im so drooling with anticipation I may need a bucket to catch all the saliva.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

Ha ha - p. 1013 is one last, measly little one-liner from being done.

Then....da da - I start XIV.

By Alistair Clark on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 04:45 pm: Edit Post

:D So, it'll be a "Happy (possibly-slightly-belated) New Year 2011" message from the Wurts camp then? *poke*

Kidding - Can't help but be one of those people who got that "takes about a year to edit and 'stuff'" info outta my brains...

This is awesome news, and must be so immensely satisfying for you!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 05:45 pm: Edit Post

I'm with DarthJazy, drooling in expectation. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 06:07 pm: Edit Post

Wrapped it, on to 14 now.

This is IT!! last set, if things slide forward smoothly - and I can fit everything into place.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 06:51 pm: Edit Post

*Pats Clanny, who can hardly bare to look, on the shoulder....*

No worries, she'll surely wrap up 14 in 33 pages.....NOT! ;)

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:11 am: Edit Post

Well, yes, I am excited. This book has been long, difficult, challenging in the extreme. I am VERY proud of it - at nineth book along in a series it MUST deliver and not go where you THINK - so as the last pages get done, I will share the excitement. Because, folks, the "tipping point" passed with Arc III....grin.

And now to debate how to celebrate...

Because ONCE I have the manuscript entire, there will be no doubts left - only a fixed pub date! So given that when that happens, you will KNOW how long you'll suffer to wait - I will celebrate with a snippet. A big one....one that will pop eyeballs...yes, perhaps that!

By DarthJazy on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 10:13 am: Edit Post

Most eye balls are already poping you may blow a few heads some heart valves and I am sure cause quite a bit of hair ripping out of the scalp. OH and quite a bit more drooling I am having a pool installed for mine.

By Clansman on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:31 pm: Edit Post

*tears eyes away from Olympics (and derisive British press coverage of soggy Vancouver)*

Mark, I might still be closest...did I say 1045? I meant 1065! Yeah, 1065, that's it! (apologies to John Lovitz and SNL (boy, am I dating myself).

By Ruth on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:25 am: Edit Post

...I can hardly wait...(has just signed up for an account and delurked)

By Dan Henby on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 08:07 am: Edit Post

Janny, looking forward to a snippet! Mandy will be pleased too.

If we had another daughter, she would have been Elaira.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:05 pm: Edit Post

Janny, you're killing me. :-) Excitement isn't the right word.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:29 pm: Edit Post

Ah, great to see you all sweat - (I'm sweating harder - grin, deadline)

Ruth - welcome here! Cool, stick around for the party. (Are you a New reader or and Old reader?)

Dan Henby - that is very almost cool - I know there is a Jaric and a Taen out there...no Elaira yet, though there is an earth based sailboat named Talliarthe, so I've been told...

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:43 pm: Edit Post

Speaking of which Janny, I think I forgot to mention that I legally changed my name in late 2007 and Sffarlenn is my legal surname now :-)

By DarthJazy on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:49 am: Edit Post

I named my son Lysaer so we have a circle of light in out lives

By Jason Dagle on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 10:00 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the welcome back in Janny, I've been lurking here off and on for a while there's probably a couple of other posts scattered around here from me in the past. Been reading this series and your others since shortly after Curse came out on paperback. Any progress on getting another US Publisher?

By DarthJazy on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 11:38 pm: Edit Post

She has a new publisher and most of the books are being re released on amazon that posted around here somewehre

By Ruth on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

...I've taken to rereading the whole set while waiting. This means I now have to hunt down a new copy of Warhost of Vastmark from the various bookshops in Singapore, half of which misfile science fiction and fantasy together anyway, because I can't find the copy I own. And the libraries have all loaned out their copies as well. Argh. I suppose I'm something of a old reader? Found a copy of Ships of Merior in the public library, and have been avidly reading ever since.

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:38 am: Edit Post

Sounds very exciting Janny!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Wow, how fun, to see the chat waking up! (grin, thanks you guys for airing your 02c in the forum threads)

I have not been neglecting the writing - started the last, had the first scene, then whoops, had to re-angle that start to make it more effective. Poised to go forward, again, and - wham - yesterday, the Day From Hell.

My mother's on vacation, her dog fell critically ill, and I had to call the shots. :-( The outcome wasn't good. She'd left me in trust to handle emergencies, but damn, it hurts to know she'll come home to an empty house. No "right decision" feels right, this way. I was with the dog at the end. My excellent vet did everything possible. No stone unturned, as it were.

Well.

anybody live in my area (Sarasota) and want to adopt 2 SWEET cats? (either/or?) They were ferals. One tortoishell female, and one tuxedo female - they have all shots/both spayed. They came in totally near death with respiratory flu. Now recovered - they were on the county's feral spay program, and their left ears are "nicked" to mark they've been done - the plan was to turn them back out - but they are TOO AFFECTIONATE. They've tamed so sweetly, they ought to have families...the tuxedo is probably only 4-5 months old - and I mean, they are affectionate.

Barn cat/house cat - they're up for adoption. I'd hate to see these ladies turned out - they are too interactively sweet and enjoy people way too much. My two older ex-ferals have damaged immune systems from their bad start in life, and I can't bring in new kitties, for fairness' sake.

This pair for adoption are healthy. And beautiful!

By Ruth on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

Kitties! Pity I can't. I rather doubt international shipping's good for them, and I live a rather long way away...

Started the last? Last chapter? *gnaws fingers in anticipation*

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 09:23 pm: Edit Post

Man, I just feel the overpowering need to blow something UP! (book frustration, hear the hair sizzle? This is because the brain is fried OUT.)

By DarthJazy on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 11:44 am: Edit Post

Take a deep breath Janny and just let us know if you need ideas im sure this whole forum is full of them lol

By Clansman on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

DarthJazy said: "Take a deep breath Janny and just let us know if you need ideas im sure this whole forum is full of them lol"

NO! I DON'T WANT ANYBODY'S IDEAS BUT JANNY'S!!!:-)
Even though I don't know them yet, they are bound to be the best.

Now, that's sorted.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

Not lack of ideas - impatience. Getting the mess of them in order. Making sure there are no dropped stitches, or mistakes. Wringing the most intensity out of each scene, since there's no time to pause on an infodump....impatience, I WANT THIS DONE YESTERDAY. It's closing in too slowly for my frustration factor, which is yelling.

I want to post you that tempting snippet.
I want to announce a FIRM pub date.

All waiting till this is blasted finished. Soon.

By Dorothy on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:31 pm: Edit Post

Not sure if this will help, Janny, but whenever I get worked up over something I remember a dear friend who used to say "poco a poco"(not sure about the spelling) which makes me take a huge breath and start again on the problem in hand.For some reason the english equivalent doesn't have the same focusing effect lol. You will get there : )

By DarthJazy on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

Clansman:

It was a plot to get a snippet cause if she needed an idea she would have to fill us in some of what is going on. I was being impatient and greedy.

:-) sorry Janny the dark side was getting the better of me

By Maggie on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 07:38 pm: Edit Post

Of course, you could always post the snippet and THEN get back to writing the last chapter... :-) I think that would certainly get rid of some of the stress, and we are always happy to help! ^_^

By Julie on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:32 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny,

One self care suggestion to nurses is to read fiction which has nothing to do with illness, hospitals, death, dying, our health care system, etc. This nurse understands that you are really trying to finish the book. However I will join the voices asking for another snippet sooner rather than later. The last few weeks at work have been very tough.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:23 am: Edit Post

*Urges Walt to reconvene the chorus, that the snippet clamoring might be channeled*

Julie's snippet suggestion is (surprise) seconded by this Healthcare IT sort.