Archive through April 02, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through April 02, 2010
   By Maggie on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:36 pm: Edit Post

We haven't heard from you in days Janny! Could we get an update on how the writing is going? :-)

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 09:58 am: Edit Post

Darned slow - I have the first scene of the last chapter done, it had to be reworked six times. That's taken me to ten pages. I am now poking at the start of the next bit - have 3 possible angles, all of which need to be unveiled - they have to meld together into one scene to get it going.

Who says finales are easy? (Sometimes they go fast, sometimes they are turtles.) Each day, progress...did I say first arcs of books a tough?

I've got to work exactly what gets shaded in to set the bit for the next book, too...what gets left dangling vs what doesn't get shown until Chapter I next.

It's little engine that could time, for certain. grin.

At this stage of my career, trust me, I've seen it all - from balky to blasting, creativity is a mystery. When the thing is ready to move quicker, it will. Starts of scenes are always the roughest.

By Konran on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 03:16 pm: Edit Post

Perhaps it will be done in time for my birthday? =D A snippet, or a publication date, would make an amazing birthday present... *hopeful grin*

By Thomas Fairman on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 02:05 pm: Edit Post

Finales are always the worst, but the best when completed, (running out of nails now and about to start on the fingers!!!)

By Dan Henby on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 05:54 am: Edit Post

I'll just add to the clamouring for a snippet! :-)

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

If it's not finished by Konran's birthday perhaps it will be by mine. :-) That's another month from now. A snippet would be fantastic!

By Thomas Fairman on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 01:42 pm: Edit Post

Yey, just finished the most horrible essay for my Masters in History possible entitled

'An analyis of the importance of empiricism to our understanding and study of history focusing on its analysis of the conjunction of time and space and the meaning of truth and factuality' !!!!!!!!!!!

If you understand that you are already doing better than me

Anyway can I please, pretty please, have a snippet as a reward

By Trys on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:05 pm: Edit Post

Thomas,

Sounds very esoteric!! <grin>

Trys

By Clansman on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 09:41 am: Edit Post

I do not think that I have ever seen a title with more academic buzz words. Except maybe when I was doing my Masters in History, but even still, this takes the cake.

Thomas, that ain't a title. It is a paragraph!

By Sue on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:05 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny and everyone!

I'm new here to posting but certainly not new to lurking!! Been visiting for years and finally decided to reveal myself... figuratively speaking that is. The excitement has finally gotten to me - the wait for your new novel has me counting the months to its release.
I am currently reading 'The Ships of Merior' which will be my fourth re-read. A log-on to Harper Collins a few months ago gave me heart palpatations with the anticipated release date, however I understand this is somewhat premature. The back-cover description made me want to get my hands on the new book even more!
I think your writing is fantastic - the only complaint I have is that you make it very hard for other authors to impress. After reading your novels I find it very hard to pick up and read anything else. I seem to go through a transition period where I have to lower my expectations before I can hope to complete a novel from start to finish. This, as you can understand, is a somewhat mixed blessing as I am an avid reader!
May I join the chorus for a new snippet?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

Hi Sue - welcome here.

Thanks for your lovely words - HC London has back cover copy posted??? I didn't know that - wonder what they put up? I HOPE they didn't spoil the wrong stuff!

As to authors - two favorites of mine: Guy Gavriel Kay and Carol Berg...those two set the bar very high, in my opinion. If you haven't read Berg's Lighthouse duology, it's a treat, and I've heard (from an advance copy reviewer) that Kay's newest (due April) Under Heaven, is the best thing he's done since Lions of Al-Rassan.

By Jason Dagle on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 11:23 am: Edit Post

Some of my other favorite authors are Katherine Kerr's Deverry cycle, this is another long involved series encompassing 15 books. Some people I know have found her use of flash-backs throughout the series to give back story into the characters past incarnations disconcerting, but I really loved the series.

Janny's former collaborator Raymond E. Fiest early Midekemia books were very good, though his more recent books have taken on a D&D novel hack and slash approach.

Terry Goodkind's early Sword of Truth books were also good. His later books became very preachy and don't even get me started on the new TV series, though for some reason I keep watching ... I yell at the TV alot about how badly they are perverting the original story much to my wife's amusement, lol.

Others are escaping my mind right now ... I'll have to go through my library sometime for others.

By Neil on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 11:54 am: Edit Post

Janny,

There is quite a shocking "introduction" to Initiate's trial on the HC website. Note sure whether this is a good thing...and it is being "passed on" to Facebook for the moment too.

Regards
Neil

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:48 pm: Edit Post

Well, I found the excerpt - it's a disaster, but not the way you would THINK...if you read it (don't if you haven't) and know nothing, it would give you a pretty skewed look at what this book is REALLY about. And it's not accurate, either.

I honestly don't know how they would "cover blurb" this volume NOT to give away anything vital.

If it helps at all, none of the MAJOR plot developments are messed with, and what it "says" is gonna push all the wrong conclusions, I should think.

An annoyance.

By Neil on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:59 pm: Edit Post

Janny

Well...either way, it is going to be a surprising story. I guess the title War of Light and Shadows implies the "war" goes on in some form or another for the next 2 arcs :-)

Looking forward to the new book immensely. WoLaS has been an obsession of mine for many years.

Guy Kay had the good grace to release his new novel around my birthday this year. This will distract me for a little bit :-)

By Jeff on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 01:35 pm: Edit Post

Hi, Janny.

I wonder, might your publisher be receptive to you preparing a blurb to replace the one that is posted?

Also, for the two future volumes, are you considering preparing blurbs for the publisher in advance that might generate interest without spoiling or giving a false impression?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 04:43 pm: Edit Post

Jeff - that's a nice idea. Usually they do ask me.

In this case, it is a devil you do, devil you don't sort of thing - because almost NOTHING can be said that will not become a major spoiler.

If I could think of something to put there, I'd ask them to replace it - more important for me to keep working. If something occurs to me, then I'll say something.

The description is SO skewed, really, I doubt you'd recognize too much. I can guarantee the person who wrote it hasn't read the book!

By Hunter on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:12 pm: Edit Post

The page also seems to show a proposed publication date.. happy birthday to me again!

By Brian Rowe on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:27 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny
As an avid fan of your writing, I also like Guy Gavriel Kay. Another that I am also an avid fan of is James Rigney AKA Robert Jordan and the WOT saga. However about a Year (?) till we see your current opus magnus - have to wait - albeit with a large degree of impatience. Dont let us impatient types distract you from the MAIN EVENT

By Sue on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 04:59 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny
I've read Carol Berg's 'Flesh and Spirit' and 'Breath and Bone'and her latest 'Spirit Lens'. All top reads - books that are hard to put down. My other favourites are Dorothy Dunnetts 'Lymond Chronicles'. These are the books, together with yours, that keep me going as re-reads every 12-18 months.
Sorry about the back cover thing. Shouldn't have tried so hard to find things out! Blasted internet.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:17 pm: Edit Post

*Pointedly ignores HC site until IT is published*

By Sue on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

Now someone's done something on facebook? urgh!!
Would never have posted anything about Harper Collins website had I known it wasn't a legit thing approved by the author..

By Hunter on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 06:17 am: Edit Post

If it makes you feel any better, that it is posted on the UK HC site means *someone* would have stumbled across it eventually.

Given that nothing in this series is really what it seems, it is not surprising that Janny has indicated this is a skewed view of the book.

Janny - is the HC UK site blurb for IT factually incorrect? Or is your issue mostly that it is factually correct (mostly) but failed to illuminate the central tenets of the novel?

There are a number of statements there of things that either have or will happen during the book. I can understand that someone with a 30 second precis of the book might choose what they think are the salient facts to write into the blurb (whatever the real intent of the author), however if correct (if!) then the blurb does outline some interesting possibilities for plot directions in IT and beyond. Which might be best in a separate thread which those who haven't or don't wish to read can avoid.

By Sue on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:30 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Hunter. Makes me feel a little less guilty!

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:36 pm: Edit Post

Against my better judgement, I went and read the blurb the other day...
I was disappointed to learn that it was indeed a skewed version of the actual story - no matter what was true about it, it's just disappointing that this could happen.

This is one of the main reasons I'm part of this little community - the fact that we can talk directly to Janny herself and get the REAL word on dates, plot hints, extra side-story snippets and main-story previews is just so much more satisfying than reading a blurb about a book that is just completely misleading and will ultimately confuse readers into "waiting" for events in the blurb to occur.

We'll see in time whether this affects the final product at all...

By Hunter on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:45 pm: Edit Post

I don't believe it will affect the final product.. Janny is disappointed because it may affect our *perception* of the final product if we're looking for resolution of quandaries and happenstances indicated in the blurb and the story Janny has written has a thousand other items to get resolved - or not - depending on what she wants to write and what we, as readers, think we ought to read in the novel. :-)

Given Janny is still writing the book (albeit close to finishing) the blurb writer can't seriously have all the details.

In any case, I suspect this isn't what will end up on the back cover of the finished product (Janny will see to that!!!). And, all the other books have contained layer upon layer upon layer of intricacy that no few lines of blurb can hope to encompass, however good it is written. So to me, the blurb is simply a brief inkling of what I might expect in the novel.

This is usually blown out of the water before I've reached the end of Chapter Set 1 so I think the blurbs are somewhat irrelevant (to me as a long time reader of this series).. For Newbies the blurb should start with -

This is book 9 of the series. Please buy me and put me in a safe place. Now go and get book 1, Curse of the Mistwraith, and start reading..

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 04:51 pm: Edit Post

Well, Hunter, you asked....aren't you the most, with your trickiest ever bag of ploys to pry out what's in the next volume ahead of time.

I won't answer this...rather keep you guessing, as to which points (misleadingly) appear in that silly blurb...haven't you learned not to trust blurbs, anyway? ;)

I will only add this much: MANY of the clues you are looking for are IN the last chapter set of Stormed Fortress. An astonishing number, in fact. The seeds for a lot of this book are straight out, right there - not to say you'd get em right, but - there's a LOT of information exactly placed in the lines written. I'd suggest you look at all that occurred at Athir in the last volume. It would be more informative than That Blabby Blurb.

And for the other post - absolutely - the person who wrote that copy DID NOT READ THE BOOK. They can't have. I have not handed it in, yet, not a page of it. YOU have seen more of what's coming in the sneak peeks in this chat than the folks in the London office.

For the US readers who haven't got Stormed Fortress to read the Athir passages - that title's shipping right now, if you order online, it will be IN BOOKSHOPS in just a few weeks - April - (if it hasn't shown up already, at least one independent reports having it now) and it's already OUT in Kindle format you can download it straightaway. Go forth and indulge :-)

By Theresa on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05:03 pm: Edit Post

Janny - just thought I'd pop in and mention that Stormed Fortress is already in the bookshops. I picked up a copy in a local B&N... a week ago? Perhaps more. In fact, it was quite fine to see them -all- there, made pretty by someone in the bookstore with some fronting outward. Obsessive person that I am, I put them in the correct order. :-)

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05:58 pm: Edit Post

I know that feeling Theresa - every time I'm in a bookstore, I find Janny's books and put them in order and make sure they've got precendence on the bookshelves :-)

My local bookstore's manager is a massive fantasy fan, and I'm working on getting her to keep at least the first three of the WoLaS series on the shelf - shouldn't start half-way through!

By Hunter on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 06:01 pm: Edit Post

A thousand thanks O magnificent authoress.. I will scurry off to my Stormed Fortress copy to revisit Athir.

I sometimes feel like Jim Hacker asking Sir Humphrey questions.. never really sure what answer is going to come back and whether I will understand it.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

I also saw your books at B and N. I bought Curse of the Mistrwraith because my original copy had soup poured on it by a friend.

I haven't read the blurb on HC, but it's my experience that they're rarely accurate. Invariably they're misleading. Hopefully anyone else reading it will know that as well.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 10:23 am: Edit Post

Hunter - well, tell us what you find in the Stormed Fortress discussion...

Kirsten Laurelle Wallace - that is a first! I hope it wasn't a terribly vicious food fight...grin.

By Pablo Krause on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 06:19 am: Edit Post

Hi everyone out there!

I finally decided to delurk as many did before me, because i've got some things on my mind regarding Dakars prophecies.
Normaly i prefer just to read your posts as english is not my first language. Please don't mind my mistyping and spelling.
Unfortunatly i read the Harper Collins 'blurb' before i took notice of your warning Janny. I understand that it might lead to misintepretations or expectations of how IT's story will unfold.
What is disturbing me is one of Dakars scryings in Fugitive Prince. I'm currently rereading the german FG edition while waiting for my english copy of the book (i had to order the english versions because i'm waiting for years now that TK and SF are published in german; AND it's more entertaining to read the orginial) Well, back to the topic:

SPOILERS??? SPOILERS???

In chapter four of FP (german ed. vol. 1) Dakar tries to use his talent and sees glimpses of the future related to Arithon. One of these glimpses goes something like this (roughly retranslated):

"Grim and black darkness encased him, saturated with the pure sound of a lyranthe played by a true masterbard. [...] while decades of spiritless/soulless? pain slowly passed by."

So here's my question: Is this look into the future somthing that will take part in the upcoming story arc? Or between them? It's just so similar to HC's blurb... ?!? Or maybe i'm totally wrong and that text passage refers to something i missed in TK and SF...? Arithons "visit" at Daviens?

That takes me to my second question: There are other glimpses of Arithons/Atheras future at that point, that i cannot link to things already happend before IT. Like this thing with an bloody sword on an altar, or that of a new town?!? - black rose prophecy? - in Daon Ramon barrens.

I'm truly excited about IT and looking forward to it. Digging for hints about the upcoming story arc in the released books is really thrilling. But maybe i'm seeing things that aren't there :-)

Best regards,

drukhi

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 08:57 am: Edit Post

Welcome here, Pablo Krause - how nice to see a reader from Germany delurk! Keep on pushing for a translation - not every reader is so fortunate, being able to read the stories in English.

With regard to the passage you referred to in Fugitive Prince - here follows the original passage in English. If the translation was not precise, this may clarify your view:

'Darkness rolled over him, unrelenting and bleak, stabbed through by the rippling, clean harmony of a lyranthe given voice by the hands of a master. Notes plucked out in Arithon's best style fell like sprays of dropped jewels, or sleet tapping brass, while decades slipped by in a drawn-out, mindless slow agony... '

People should know I don't put anything in that doesn't count. :-)

For the rest - to counteract that silly blurb - I think I will post up a snippet in a short time that will set the stage for this volume properly...wait for THAT.

By Pablo Krause on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 04:48 pm: Edit Post

Hey Janny,

thanks for your reply. The original passage sheds some different light onto things or can be interpreted a little different. The german translation highlights the "mindless" more, because "decades", "mindless" and "pain" are standing beside each other in the german sentence. That caused my little hunch probably.

As for my luckiness to be able to read - not fully understand, or get every detail without a dictionary though - your books in english: There's no other way. I did a little net-search and the publisher bastei-lübbe does not even list your books anymore on it's website and one commentary of an amazon.de customer even said they refused in 2007 to get any of the following books translated, as (translation and publication) cost and benefit calculations mismatch. Maybe thats an result of the german language, because almost every volume of your books has been split in two as the count of pages is almost doubled in german. Of other publishers who might be taking over i do know nothing.

As there is no established german fan community like here, it is hard to push with someone at hmm... whom? nowadays. Hiring Frauke Meier - the german translator - or even translating it in a fan-project is currently no option.

But if i'm finding someone, i'll try to push considerably :-)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 05:30 pm: Edit Post

Pablo Krause, if I get an offer from another German publisher, you bet, I'd consider it seriously.

I could not support a fan translation, that would be a violation of copyright.

At the moment - on GoodReads or LibraryThing - there are few ratings on the German edition, and no reviews to help pique reader interest, although there are copies listed, or at least, space for them.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 07:09 pm: Edit Post

Status - page count 1035, at halfway through the main chapter sequence. This IS the finale bit, and probably been the hardest last 23 pages of close to, my career...what to show, what not to, how best to angle this, how to make what's to happen concise and taut to riveting has been nigh onto unbearably difficult. I am getting there....!!! Even if I feel stomped on by turtles, passing....grin.

Usually when I tip the scales past the half point of a chapter, the next bundle of pages go faster...let this be SO!

At least, I do see the shape of what the ending of this scene will encompass....I am ready for being through this, no question.

By Sue on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 11:02 pm: Edit Post

Janny, no matter how long we have to wait, the end result is always worth it! The complexity of your writing would always be a demanding task but the finished work must compensate and be immensely satisfying. Keep up the good work :-)

By Dan Henby on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:49 am: Edit Post

Hey Janny, great news on page count and positioning. For the record, I haven't read a blurb in more than 15 years. Once, I waited more than a year for a David Eddings book (I think book 3 of the Mallorean) and got my hands on it, saw the back cover and it COMPLETELY GAVE AWAY the ending! I was devastated.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, and keep tapping away at that little keyboard. By the way, would love to have you down here in Sydney one day.
:-)

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 01:13 pm: Edit Post

*Turns the weather back to Feb. and sends the East Coast Snowmaggeddon down Janny's way.*

None of this Spring-time-to-be-outdoors nonsense. There's a book to finish!!! :D

*Pastes slogans like "I live to write", "The write stuff", and "Write-of-way" up on the walls of Janny's studio, then slips back out, whistling innocently...:

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 01:59 pm: Edit Post

Dan Henby - I'd go back to Sydney in a slick second - just hoping for such an opportunity!!!

Mark Stephen Kominski - if we get SNOW here in FL that would set me back you have no idea how much!!!
Not just damage to everything from water pipes to my just planted garden, the amount of work to recovery from that would stall the work inordinately.

No, we want nice spring weather! That keeps me ON schedule.

By Walt on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:15 pm: Edit Post

Just finished my re-read of the whole series... my copies are riddled with little post-it notes, especially the last chapter of SF! So many little tid-bits of information to and questions to be answered!

I don't suppose anyone'd like to help me with this case of gray spray-paint to cover the studio windows to help defray distractions?

Uh oh... here comes Don and the gryphon...

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 06:48 pm: Edit Post

Walt - sounds like some of those sticky notes would make good discussion questions...good time to kick the Stormed Fortress chat awake, it just came out in the USA.

I got more done today on Initiate's Trial....

By Brian Rowe on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 01:57 am: Edit Post

I second Dan Henby's suggest to come to Sydney (or anywhere else in Australia) You would be most welcome

By Clansman on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:21 am: Edit Post

1035, hmmm?

Any chance this will be finished in ten pages??? That would coincide very nicely with a prediction made by a certain chat member some months ago...

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:17 pm: Edit Post

Finish in ten pages? Killed off that hope. Sigh. I wish. Everything is solidly in line and progressing, however...for the life of me, I don't know how to do this one shorter.

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:51 pm: Edit Post

If Janny is coming to Sydney she is coming to Galaxy Bookshop!!!

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:57 pm: Edit Post

If coming down under, I'd do my best to arrange whatever I could for Melbourne :-) It would just be so awesome.
Janny, if you want a Melbourne holiday and can spare the time, just let me know ;)

By Talia Barnes on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:24 am: Edit Post

I'm going to put a vote in for Brisbane - Queensland is lovely and sunny :-).

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:41 am: Edit Post

Last time I came, Swancon did the ticket. Then HarperCollins arranged the tour around that. The whole event was a blast of fun.

I am, oddly, shredding ten pages of draft in revision. Argh. I revised it till the wee hours last night, then realized - it had to be whomped and morphed a lot more, some action that was going to occur later has to be pulled forward.

This book - giving me fits like no other since Fugitive Prince....HOWEVER! You didn't see how it could build and get tighter, after Stormed Fortress? Hah!

A series does not have to sprawl or get vacuous...that preview, down-page is just the Opening Gambit...naturally I cut it off before it unveiled anything truly explosive.

By Thomas Fairman on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 02:26 pm: Edit Post

You say that but your enjoying it really, I always start thinking like this when doing a D of E expedition you know along the lines of 'never again' and 'why am I such an idiot for volunteering for this', buat soon enough after I decide actually it was good fun and I cant wait to start again!!!!!

Anyway good luck with the editing, that was the worst part of my Masters Dissertation, supposed to take 3 weeks, hah

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:01 am: Edit Post

What?!

Did you say shredding?

*Curls into a ball, fetal-like, and moans softly in denial*

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 09:46 am: Edit Post

Well, yes, electronically vivisected - shredding.

The scene got tweaked and amped up for 7 pages. Then cut. Then a new insert that brought forward another bit FAR better set here, than later...added the adrenaline jolt this area badly needed, upped the stakes with ferocious aggression...the last bit - was lame anyhow...it will be re-angled so the same material doesn't drag.

Trust me, this section will NOT be dull. Nothing lost - just every thing presented in slightly different alignment to achieve the taut finale you EXPECT by now.

It's a textbook case (from my tips for authors) for Why the Chapter was going too Slow - the passion was misplaced and wrongly ordered. Fixed now. One more tad to do and it's ready for test.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:51 pm: Edit Post

*Haltingly uncurls from ball with the intention of seeking therapy, but stops short with a wicked green glint in his eyes at the thought of a test...*

Do Tell....

By Thomas Fairman on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:02 am: Edit Post

can I be the test reader, grin

By Maggie on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 12:11 am: Edit Post

*pushes Mark and Thomas out of the way, kicks them while they are down, and then puts a rug down to hide them*

As seeing there is no one else who is willing to volunteer to be a test reader, I suppose I could do the job...

By Laura Langley on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 04:34 am: Edit Post

Hi everyone, I am another delurker i must have been reading the comments here for years and have finally decided to post. Well lets just say mmm "test" that kind of forced me out of the closet!! I have been waiting patiently (ha) for the next installment I am now re-reading the series AGAIN my poor COTM, SOM and WoV now needs replacing as the spines cannot take another read. I re-read the entire series before the next comes out, I have been very good and not visited this site since before Christmas and then i gave in and what happens IT is soooo close to being finished I couldn't help myself so my family now has to fend for themselves until i finish reading again. I must say i have learned to slow read now after the what atleast 10th time of reading I can now put the books down and go to sleep at a decent hour (who needs sleep anyway)before i would just consume the books one after another staying up all night until i finished (yes i know I have a problem, probably the same one as most of you guys). I have to say I have to agree with Sue that you have ruined a lot of other writers for me as I measure everything else against your writing. I started many years ago (when I was in high school, man that was years ago...) with a little copy of Daughter of the Empire and well what can I say I have bought everything since then and am now waiting for the next book in the series. Well i probably go as my family is waiting for dinner and seeing they are all boys the waiting isn't exactly quiet!! Thank you for your wonderfull books oh and I am also a resident of Australia so anytime you visit, noone has said South Australia yet I am in the lovely little town of Port Lincoln (lots of sailing here)so feel free to drop in!!

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 11:10 am: Edit Post

Welcome to de-lurk, Laura Langley! what a lovely entry note - I am amazed you have been able to hold your tongue around here, with TEN reads under your belt, you have probably picked up a lot of nuance!

Enough to rebut some of the whacked theories bouncing about, even :-)

South Australia? SAILING? When do I get on the plane, I'm packed yesterday!

By motley on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 03:38 pm: Edit Post

prebooked on Amazon. It makes it feel closer!

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 04:19 pm: Edit Post

I can vouch for Port Lincoln Janny, it really is a wonderful region :-) Nice to meet a fellow South Australian Laura, though I must confess to having lived in Victoria all my life I still hold a certain pride for coming from there...for some reason ;)

By Sue on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

Go South Australia!

It seems to me that us South Aussies have brilliant taste in books. Must be something to do with the fresh air and clean living!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 01:37 am: Edit Post

*The rug elevates, and Maggie finds herself staring at the cobwebs above the mantle, 8 feet up. Helps Thomas up, offers him first spot in line, then passes the duster up to Maggie... *

Speaking of clean living, might as well tidy up while we're waiting, no? ;-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

Status - page count, 1060
This is the climactic scene.
Up to catch my breath and look up a fact from Peril's Gate.
Could finish this subchapter tonight...could well.

And the windup scene after - I have most of the pieces.

There could be a virtual shout and a party - before the weekend? Maybe?

I promise you, the windup of this vol will bust a few theories, rip hair, and seams, and unravel goodness knows how may singed socks. Better buy yourselves extra drawers, too, while you're at it.

By Clansman on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

Janny wrote: "Better buy yourselves extra drawers, too, while you're at it."

Do you mean furniture, or undergarments?

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 04:00 pm: Edit Post

Just for safety Clansman, I'd bet getting both ;)

By Maggie on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 10:26 pm: Edit Post

*Tries to gasp, but breaths in the cobwebs and sneezes instead*

A virtual shout and a party before the weekend?? This wouldn't be some sort of super extra cruel April fools joke, would it?? Because that would be super extra cruel... :-)

I'm so excited, we should all show up at your door Janny, and help with that party!

By Kim Murray on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 06:30 am: Edit Post

OK since everyone else from Downunder is delurking...so should I ! have been a casual fan for many years, but started rereading series only last year. Had lost/loaned/misplaced my copy of CoTM, so when it was reprinted in Aust last year picked it up and started rereading (before reading SF).

Gee it makes a difference when you read the whole series back to back...rather than 1 novel every 2 years (no offense Janny !). Now I can't wait for IT :-)

By Hunter on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 08:14 am: Edit Post

Good to see more Aussies on the board.

What I find amazing in re-reading the earlier books is starting to see the links that are placed there.. and also keeping tabs on what is placed in a novel that is yet to see the Light (he he)....

Such as Lysaer getting thrown out of the Compact at the start of Fugitive Prince and threatened with the justice of the Paravians. Which of course is only likely to happen when the Paravians return, which kind of requires Arithon, Lysaer ( or somebody) to deal with the wraiths.

One wonders given that it appears that Arithon has a century to battle the wraiths, Davien has Sechkrozshiel to heal the unstable grimwards that have been leeching the life out of Sethvir whether Asandir, Sethvir and Luhaine (and I guess Dakar is back now) might not try to spend more time working out how to battle the Mistwraith themselves?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:32 am: Edit Post

Kim Murray - a very warm welcome to delurkdom! Cool! (another realizes we don't bite!)

One hopes now that all the books through Stormed Fortress are contiguously in print that, yes, readers will discover this series as it was meant to be experienced. :-)

Ain't it a bitch to be contemporary with the writer? Did you know it took Tolkein some 17 YEARS to compete his trilogy? That wait would've been horrid!

By Jason Dagle on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

All I can say is WOW!!

You continue to astound Janny, please continue to keep us posted on your progress.

I would also like to to offer my services as a test reader ... anything to get my hands on the book early.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:21 pm: Edit Post

Status: draft page count 1071...mere pages and a few paragraphs to go, now...wheeee.

The final blast is shaping up nicely.

By Dan Henby on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 11:33 pm: Edit Post

Janny, I'm drooling. That sounds so excellent! :-)

I'm supremely looking forward to getting my copy of IT. That sneak peek only made me more anxious to get my hands on the book!

Happy Easter to everyone, and especially to you Janny. Thanks for the years of good writing, and we look forward to more.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:45 am: Edit Post

Thanks, Dan -

Down to the wire - I have only the last little scene to close, and some touch up work...calling it in for tonight - expect a big whoop, surely sometime tomorrow.

In time for our Easter weekend jaunt, hopefully so, that will be the most HUGE relief. This book tested limits, in so many ways. Cannot wait, now, to see it released!

By Hunter on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:48 am: Edit Post

Yeah!! Great to hear the book is *almost* finished..

so.. when does the cover painting begin.. :-)

By Laura Langley on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 08:07 am: Edit Post

I hope everyone has a great Easter this weekend and I hope Janny finishes the draft and has a well earned rest (only the weekend mind you, needs polishing yet)!!

As for Tolkien and his 17 year wait for a trilogy, yes I know this series is up to the equivalent x 3 but do you remember the year when COTM was released, my copy says 1993 let me see 1993-2010 well what do you know 17 Years and we still have around another 4-5 years to see the finished result. I don't know, i must agree with Janny but I can say from experience that yes the wait is horrid! But also exciting, and thrilling and I can't wait to put my preorder in to Galaxy bookshop for IT!!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 10:08 am: Edit Post

I am so excited. :-) Thanks for always giving us updates, Janny.

Oh, and I second the vote for test-reading.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:36 pm: Edit Post

Status: page count, 1081. One last detail - three pages or less, and I'll have this one clinched.

Chill the champagne, folks!

I don't care if I'm up packing, far beyond midnight for tomorrow's flight - this book will get finished FIRST.

Back here, later...

By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:05 pm: Edit Post

DRAFT FOR INITIATE'S TRIAL IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1084 - may need a touch up here and there, and a bit of fleshing out, but the sequence is all completed!

YAHOOO!

I do not want to count how many hours went into this...for the series in total, wow, it's all denouement from here forward!

By Maggie on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:16 pm: Edit Post

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Yay! Congratulations Janny! I can't wait to read it!

Enjoy your vacation, you have perfect timing I guess :-)

By Konran on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:20 pm: Edit Post

Squeeeeeeeeeeee! Congratulations Janny! Have an awesome vacation, you deserve the break! I am so excited for this book...

By Catherine Wilson on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 03:38 pm: Edit Post

Fantastic, Janny! Congratulations! Enjoy your break. Happy Easter