Archive through March 29, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Sneak Preview #5 - retort to the lousy blurb: Archive through March 29, 2010
   By Thomas Fairman on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 01:47 pm: Edit Post

I am not sure. I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of 'as long as every tree and living thing that had leant its lifeforce to the beacon remained the wraiths would have a path to Athera'. Is it not possible that over 200 years we have now reached the point where the spell has faded and can no longer be traced. Moreover I hardly think that the Seven would have been idle during this period. Surely one of their main tasks would have been coming up with a more foolproof shielding method and defence against the wraiths so the whole problem may no longer exist

By Julie on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:03 pm: Edit Post

Can't remember which book this happened in but when Morriel goes to Althain to have her Waystone restored to pre F7 "tampering" Asandir tells her about the beacon. She surmises at that point that Arithon's bardic talents may be used to deal with the wraiths. I think as corrupted as she has become, she still holds to the tenets of the Sisterhood to protect humanity . The seals at Rockfell have been compromised and reinforced- perhaps those are wraiths Arithon is dealing with once and for all.

By Pablo Krause on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:58 pm: Edit Post

I just realized why it's such a pleasure to come here and look. All these thoughts about lose ends in the story, how they might fit togehter or what makes them fit togehter into one colour-woven carpet. Still it's not possible to go back and see the whole thing, just glimmering facets. Maybe thats what drives storytellers - besides the word crafting.

Some language thing: Is there a difference about "throwing my $0.05?" and "throwing my two cents in"? It's describing the same content i think. I had to look for this expression on wiki. And Dan, was this meant ironical? Still working on my english.

I agree to Thomas. The spell of the beacon might have faded now. Like the spells around rockfell do, or even the barrier thats around Athera. What's the point about building some huge, invulnerable barrier in a story that won't crumble? Doesn't make sense IMHO. And the barriers need some regularly update from the F7. Which are in some kind of trouble, because they need a new caithdein for Lysaer (snippet one or two? That tawny/talith like girl?) And Necromancy might also play a role, in this wraith thing, but i'm still thinking about the necromancy-koriani-biedar connection (some hunch. I'm still re-reading and just finished FP).

So many lose ends... A half dragon/davien, what's with Elaira (happy ending: queen of rathain or koriani prime? sethvir mentioned real trouble if elaira would become prime matriarch somewhere in FP). Lirenda also has to play a final role (bringing the koriani down, because of her suppressed passion), Arithon imprisoned, some half/sane? Lysaer, Cyladis still missing on (Los Lier? Another energy plane?), koriani-biedar conflicts that are solved by Arithons descendants?, wraiths...

... my head is spinning ...

By Pablo Krause on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 06:12 pm: Edit Post

Oh and Dakar has to become a full member of the Fellowship, if everything fails to get them restored to seven. Would be realy funny, after all of his trials :-)

By Jeff on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:33 pm: Edit Post

Thank you, Janny!

Regarding: "when the edge of his temper reached a peak intensity", I'm anxious to read more to find out why that is when Arithon is given the lyranthe; and what happens to cause him to relinquish it.

To other posters:
1. Regarding whether or not Morriel/Selidie is prime and the condition of her hands, read or re-read the first sneak preview. In this (5th) preview, when the "old woman" brings the lyranthe, no mention is made of her hands.

2. Regarding Dakar (or Verrain) becoming a replacement to complete the Fellowship, I believe that Janny has mentioned somewhere in the forum that that won't happen. I think it has something to do with the nature of the dragons' binding. If I understand correctly, no amount of training could produce a Fellowship sorcerer. It was a one-time event that could not likely be repeated as the confluence of circumstance and potential was unique.
Then again, maybe mature dragons could do it with the benefit of human insight/perspective. Even then, it would be unlikely as there would probably be a different 'congregation?' of dragons than the one which bound the Seven.

--Any corrections are welcome-- :-)