Archive through April 13, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through April 13, 2010
   By Mark Stephen Kominski on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:21 pm: Edit Post

*Oils the lock on the OSMTB, just to make sure it doesn't stick come late August*

By Thomas Fairman on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 02:15 pm: Edit Post

Janny, Have you ever considered publishing some sort of bits and bobs book, there must be all sorts of interesting scenes on the cutting room floor so to speak that would add interesting detail to various scenes in the series

By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 05:53 pm: Edit Post

Thomas Fairman, I have compiled heaps of material for such a book - all we need is the numbers to interest the publisher ... I'm ready!!!

By Dan Henby on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 10:44 pm: Edit Post

Janny,
Again, congrats on the completion of your draft. If I remember correctly, there's about a year between finishing the draft and publishing? Although, I also recall you making some suggestions that it might be less...here's hoping.

I hope you have an enjoyable time editing... :-) I know that waiting for the book is frustrating and painful, but ALWAYS worth it!

Thanks again for the many hours of pleasure you provide.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 11:22 am: Edit Post

Dan Henby - maybe not. Hoping not. Production is geared to start right away. I have to finish the draft pages - this process is actually weird, in that, while drafting, I get it down, and polish it best I can (sometimes work over draft three times). But ONLY when the drafted scenes are finished, and I'm not creating more copy, do I see 'final copy.' The edit process takes what is on the page, melts it down into a more compact structure, and polishes it to an edge.

It's very long hours and intense work - but - the good news, it can happen contiguously. I've pulled work days to 3 am....there is no sidestepping the hours...it's a long row to hoe. Good days, I can lay down over 30 pages or more, sorry kick ass days, 20 (curse the very esoteric scenes, they are the slowest!)

There has been a shuffle of personnel in the London office, and I've just now made contact with the delightful person who'll be editor for this book (she's a good old hand, no worries there)...so in the shift as she gets the hot seat running Voyager, I am waiting on word back -- trust me, I am working as hard and fast as I can to get this story into your hands ASAP.

It was just a bugger to write - now we're in the predictable part!

Oh, and the next half - explosive. It won't be an arc start....much better!!!