Archive through April 15, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through April 15, 2010
   By Clansman on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

That the same as the very North American "I'm screwed", meaning something bad has happened, and the consequences are going to be worse, as in:

"I forgot it was our anniversary. I'm buggered (i.e. "I'm screwed")."

"I wrecked my dad's car. I'm buggered."

etc.

One could, if one wished to be more profane, insert the "F" word with the "ed" suffix, and it would mean the same thing. It would, however, be a little more, ah, colourful.

By HJ on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:07 am: Edit Post

Haha! Yep, Clansman, spot on!

Trys, I honestly always thought it was a really frowned upon word in the States, and only used for the sexual meaning. How interesting.

In the UK we also use it as an expletive, eg. you drop a heavy weight on your toe. "Bugger!"

It can also take on different shades of meaning if you put an adjective in front, eg. "He's a funny/noisy/smart/tightfisted/sarcastic/badtempered bugger."

My father-in-law is from a little village in Warwickshire and his definition of a bugger is "someone who farts in the bath and bursts the bubbles with his toes!" which I've never heard anywhere else. I have to say, it's my favourite swear word, so versatile. You have to be very careful around small children, they seem to latch on to it really easily. My father-in-law used to threaten to teach our girls to say bugger when they were barely talking. Thankfully he didn't!

What an interesting conversation... :-)

By Trys on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:54 pm: Edit Post

Since we are on the subject of pseudo profanity... just how bad is the word 'bloody' in Britain. I've gotten mixed feelings... everything from it's almost as foul as the F bomb to it's just not used in polite society.

By Dorothy on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 04:12 pm: Edit Post

Hi Trys
The word "bloody" is a very mild swear word but like any swear word you wouldn't use it in front of strangers or small children.
It can be an exclamation of surprise or shock as in "bloody hell"(Ron Weasley in one of the Harry Potter films uses this when Professor McGonnagal transforms from a cat to a human) or as a sign of frusration eg "I can't get this bloody thing to work".
Like most swear words it's capacity to shock has dwindled, mainly (to my mind) because of the increase in the use of the "F" word.
When I was a child we used to chant "bloody's in the bible, bloody's in the book, if you don't believe it, take a bloody look" which was very daring and was never said any where near adults!
Did anyone's parents threaten to wash their mouths out with soap and water if they were caught swearing?
Hope this helps.

What do you think HJ?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:36 pm: Edit Post

I thought 'bloody' had religious profanity connotations, as in, the reference was originally to 'Christ's blood' - am I wrong?