Archive through April 18, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through April 18, 2010
   By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 01:36 pm: Edit Post

Oh, the parents were the soap type, in my house. Never mind the brand, it all tasted vile.

And HJ - trust me to recall trivia on old usage...it just sticks. Couldn't say where I saw the reference, it is probably accurate. Which would rule the term as a blasphemy rather than an oath, technically....:-)

By Phome on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 05:13 pm: Edit Post

I'd put my money on it being to do with christianity and referring to Christ's blood. Certainly most of the French swear words here in Quebec seem to have some kind of religious connotation, one of the worst one having to do "chalice".

By Dorothy on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:16 pm: Edit Post

I've also been told it's a shortened form of "by our Lady" a common religious oath in the Middle ages.

By Konran on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:53 am: Edit Post

Speaking of words, and going off your tweet earlier today Janny, I recently came across a super-cool word: limerence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence Enjoy!

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:00 pm: Edit Post

Konran - I'd heard of that one, oddly enough - :-)

The tweet word for the day was

Afterclap

which is defined as a consequence, or a ramification....I was searching for a new chapter head to avoid a repeat and this is PERFECT.