Archive through June 17, 2008

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Elaira: Archive through June 17, 2008
   By Laneth Sffarlenn on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 05:22 pm: Edit Post

I think the way the Koriani are bound to the focus stones, (in Elaira's case, the Skyron), is through their own personal crystal.
The two beings are inexplicably linked, and since the Crystal still has its own free choice and that is to serve the Koriathain, Elaira has no other choice other than to follow.

The crystal can choose, the reason being noone knows - however Elaira's vow to the order is a voluntary bonding into a form of slavery to the Matriarch.

I'm not the most eloquent right now...just woke up on a Sunday morning...sorry all

By Trys on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:52 am: Edit Post

This is NOT a spoiler topic!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 02:41 pm: Edit Post

I actually think that the reason Elaira doesn't ask for help to be freed from her oath is because of the way the oath was explained to her. My understanding is that she feels that the fellowship can only help if she was forced or tricked into the oath. Because she chose it I think that she believes that it is 100% binding and that they can't help her.

By Trys on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:47 pm: Edit Post

Kirsten,

You may be right about 'because she chose it'... but my interpretation of the situation is that it is exactly because she chose it that she can exercise her free will and unchoose it. Thoughts?

Trys

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 04:03 pm: Edit Post

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I hope that's what Janny has her do actually. I think that the reason she hasn't done so is because it hasn't occurred to her that it could work both ways. It's pretty philosophical actually. A lot of people do the same thing. I have a friend in college who picked a degree her freshman year and isn't as happy about it now as she was then. Still, she won't switch it because she chose it and now she thinks that she has no choice but to stick with it. Not nearly the same situation, I know, but it's where I got the idea from.