Archive through July 16, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Elaira: Archive through July 16, 2010
   By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:19 pm: Edit Post

Relevant Passages for possible clarification:

From Curse of the Mistwraith, p. 140, ASANDIR is only addressing Elaira's curiousity about the Prophecy at the West Gate in Enithen Tuer's alcove, not intervening on her behalf with her crystal. He notes that, while the Koriani order is "...dedicated to intolerance...you (Elaira) are different...". There's no mention of crystals, oaths, etc.

From Curse of the Mistwraith, p. 508, however, TRAITHE drops the first clue in his response to Elaira's concern about her order's ability to leash Arithon thru herself:

"You're not alone, brave lady. Nor are you entirely Morriel's plaything, not since the day you chose to seek out Asandir in Erdane."

This would seem to imply some level of request for intervention already.

From Ships of Merior, pps. 148 and 9, we see an event that speaks clearly to the status of Elaira's crystal in the passage that describes LUHAINE's intervention:

"....even Morriel would never discern that the crystal's unnatural attunement had been arrested, then erased, its forced effect of lengthened life span realigned to a kinder patterning source by the laws of grand conjury.
She would live the same years as Arithon, but suffer no ill effects. If the hour came that conflicted interests broke her faith with the Koriani Order, the Prime who presided in judgment would gain no further power through the white quartz matrix of Elaira's personal crystal. Her vows of initiation upon the Skyron focus jewel alone would hold influence against her."

I think this is the event Blue references above (although, if there was another similar such situation with KHARADMON, I can't find it...).

So, I think the personal crystal is out of the picture as a tool for coercion. It's subsequent choice to remain in service to the Koriani order doesn't necessarily have to mean that it can be used against Elaira. Thoughts?

By adam saunders on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 01:11 pm: Edit Post

Hi, I don't normally post messages although I love reading other peoples opinion and seeing how it agrees or differs from mine. I don't think some of you are giving Elaira enough credit. With all of the hints various F7 have given, the knowlege learnt from Ath's adepts about LoMB and her experiences with Arithon she knows that at the end of the day she is bound by her choice to respect her crystals decision and not her oath. Also I agree with DarthJazy that she knows that the sisterhood would just use someone else with her personal signature (experience, feelings and memories of Arithon) gained from her crystal and recorded in the skyron focus.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 09:55 pm: Edit Post

Hmmm, the book baldly states that she's still influenced by her vows of initiation upon the Skyron focus jewel. No argument with potential consequences involved with honoring the choice of her personal crystal, although I rather imagine that the crystal itself is now free of Koriani influence, and is choosing continued service to be "in the right place at the right time" for whatever the Talespinner has in mind....if this is true, then any experiences after Luhaine's intervention may not BE recorded in the Skyron focus jewel....

By Technetus on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:33 am: Edit Post

How often has one line three books earlier come back to haunt us in this series?

I believe it's in Peril's Gate, just before Elaira goes on her round of crystal-cleansing; the elder she buys from in the marketplace says something along the lines of "Stone speaks, for you". It's a line that's stuck with me as perhaps having more import than just in that moment.

*Nods to JW and anybody else who happens to remember him from way back*

By Sandra Jacob on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 07:30 am: Edit Post

WOW! What a fascinating thread! Have to come back and read the whole thing after work.