Archive through July 18, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through July 18, 2010
   By Dan Gamble on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 09:04 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny,

Very, very long time lurker, but all the excitement as you're all but finished Initiate's Trial has finally delurked me.

Been a massive fan of yours for more than a decade now, started out with the Empire series, up through the Cycle of Fire, through to Sorcerers Legacy and upto the WoLaS. I love the fact that you're on of the few authors who can challenge me both in the language and the plot of your books, very few authors can do both. I'm full of questions, and starting my re-read of the series again in preparation for the release of IT has raised more, but I'm trying to hold off to see how much Initiate's Trial will answer before I start bombarding people with questions!

Anyway, very excited and can't wait til the book's out there for all to see and read!

Ps, now I've been de-lurked hope to be fairly active on here as things really start to build up!

Dan

By Janny Wurts on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 09:32 am: Edit Post

Hey, Dan Gamble, I am thrilled - welcome to De-lurk! :-) What a nice note!

As to questions - bombard us!
First, people will speculate (and I get to chortle to myself if they're off - hah!) Better - Sometimes, such questions point up an area that needs a fill in, in depth - and we get a new chunk in the FAQ area for questions, OR, I write a satellite story to show what really happened - or I write a scene (appropriate to the action) that deepens that area for you readers...rarely, but it has happened once or twice.

Sometimes I will answer if it doesn't spoil.
Sometimes I'll make you wait if it does.

However - it adds to the fun, and shortens the wait - I will say Quite a Lot of things open in Initiate's Trial...but likely not what you think (quite per usual).

If you want to bombard where there are newer readers, there are several discussions of the series ongoing at GoodReads. Freely join in.

By Dan Gamble on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 10:28 am: Edit Post

Well Janny, you did give me free rein, so I'll throw in my $0.02 for some of the things that have occurred to me recently. Most of them are just musings rather than questions, as most of the subjects would be major spoilers. Well here goes;

Dakar - after starting another re-read and going over some of the sneak peaks, I wonder whether Dakar's role has been massively under-estimated, and whether he will play a bigger part in the fate of the F7 in the end then is obvious right now. Also I don't think he's ever been given enough credit for his role to date. After all it was him that delivered the Black Rose Prophecy that has ruled the F7s actions since CotM, and his support of Arithon and the Fellowship has been key in a whole host of areas.

The F7 reunification & Ciladis - there seems to be an undertone that the reunification of the F7 would produce or allow something greater than simply increasing their active numbers, and that together they can achieve something that as 5 or 6 they could not - I believe there has been some speculation on this line already. Also if we assume that Ciladis is the sorcerer set under wards with the unicorn, and that those Wards were set under the Law of the Major Balance, then he must have consented, which would mean he was told or shown something to gain that consent.. I have no idea what that would be unfortunately.

Lysaer - I am wondering, especially as the language to do with the Alliance has started to mention temples - which also ties in the with the prologue - is a forewarning that in the end Lysaer could be ejected from the religion that he helped create, if he manages to overcome the curse and help Arithon against Desh-Thiere (a big IF I know), and that is his legacy, but he would no longer be part of it.

I have other ideas, but that's enough for now, especially as it covers a whole spectrum of things. I'll probably have to start or add to other threads going on to go into those in more detail. But for now thats my $0.02.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 08:12 am: Edit Post

Dan Gamble - oh boy, this is fun - certainly, absolutely material for not one thread, but several - anybody care to speculate, too? We haven't had this kind of question here in quite a bit.

By Raelene Monahan on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 07:57 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny and Dan

Well I certainly agree with your comments about Dakar being underestimated. There is a clear deepening of his character and actions throughout the series and I suspect this will continue. I would also like to bring your attention to the words of Davien (Peril's Gate)

"Dakar's no liability. Despite his excesses, his idiot vices, and his ungovernable passions, he will achieve the stability of a diamond, though a thousand years may be needful to mold him."

I think it will be very interesting to watch as his role develops further, especially regarding that sneak peek in Shand (if I have that right). We know he's no longer with Arithon but he seems to be not with Asandir at this time either, what mission is he on?

And i especially like your idea of the Fellowship of Seven being more than the some of it's parts. Tantalising!

Some good suggestions there Dan and welcome to de-lurkdom! It's becoming quite the fad!

Cheers
(especially for Janny - nearly there!!!)