Archive through July 20, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Elaira: Archive through July 20, 2010
   By Chana on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 01:29 pm: Edit Post

It is fascinating! I was just reading the part in Traitor's Knot where the novices are taking their oaths.
"My hands, my mind, and my body, are hereby given to enact the will of the Prime Matriarch, WHO'S WHOLE CAUSE IS THE GREATER GOOD OF HUMANITY"

In GC Elaira mentioned that the cause of the order had in fact once been about helping people. I was simply wondering if the Koriathain always attached strings to their services, because if so, I don't see how they could ever be considered 'good'. Invoking a life debt is cruel manipulation, whichever way you look at it.

By Sandra Jacob on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 07:08 pm: Edit Post

Well, the Koriani have never stopped at cruel manipulation. Look at Fionn Areth. Look at how they have forced Elaira against her will, although that hasn't worked entirely without flaw, has it. I was just rereading the scene in Fugitive Prince where Karadmon visits her to give her another chance to ask for help from them to gain her freedom. At the time I first read it, I was aggravated with her for her stubborn perversity, but now am beginning to wonder ....

Your thoughts expressed here have brought me back to wondering why her crystal chose to return to the sisterhood. Perhaps it does have something wicked in mind... wicked towards the sisterhood, that is.

I think that the Koriani have gotten far far away from their original purpose. Morriel is clearly insane and so intent on keeping her own power that anything she does is warped and short sighted.

By Chana on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

I agree with you completely, but I want to know exactly what their original purpose was, and how they got to where they are today.

It seems to me that permanently tying up someone's free will and putting it in the hands of another person (in this case Morriel) is perverse; even if the Koriani are dedicated to the good of humanity, which they obviously are not.

Also, it's interesting how the F7 strictly respect free will, and Koriani principles are the exact opposite.

I wonder if the Koriani will still be around by the end of the series, and I wonder what would happen if the Waystone were taken into one of Ath's Hostels....

Any Ideas?

By Hunter on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:50 pm: Edit Post

Koriani fully respect free will. Is not fully submitting yourself for your lifetime, unconditionally, an act of free will? Whether the individual is actually capable of understanding the magnitude of their decision is completely another matter. I wouldn't have see Fionn Areth or Elaira were sufficiently mature to understand the ramifications of what they were agreeing to.

The difference is that the Fellowship ask free will each and every time they need something; the Koriani ask once and demand it hold for a lifetime. But both view this as free will.. :-)

By Salticidae on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 04:06 am: Edit Post

Chana, in fact it is interesting that the F7 respect free will to such an extent that some knowledge they will not volunteer unless asked for it. In one of the books (can't remember) a sorcerer is hoping that she'll ask a question, which she doesn't.