Archive through July 27, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Elaira: Archive through July 27, 2010
   By Julie on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:09 pm: Edit Post

One problem of looking at the individuals used as examples in this discussion is that they are just that- one piece at one time. The Sisterhood and the F7 see things over spans of time. I think the F7 are just as capable of using people. They are much more subtle. They had the capacity to intervene over 500 years of Clan slaughter but did not. Ater all Arithon was able to enspell a protection over the free wilds in Stormed Fortress.The F7 pledged surety for Paravian survival and while they can be compassionate to all living things, humanity does not take precedence. The Sisterhood pledged to save humanity: physical life and cultural heritage- the cost has become sacrificing the natural world.

By Clansman on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:45 pm: Edit Post

One thing that is easy to forget is that humanity has no "rights" on Athera. They came to Athera seeking refuge, and under the terms of the Drake's binding upon the F7, which was to ensure Paravian survival, if human occupation of Athera threatens Paravian survival, humanity must be removed from Athera. The F7 don't have free will in this, as they were bound to the Drake's will magically.

Also, the F7 might manipulate and cajole, but they never force. The Koriani make no bones about giving a Hobbes' choice to someone, and take advantage of whichever way they choose (i.e. accept a Koriani Oath of Debt, or let your wife/husband/child die.) We have not seen the F7 do that. We have seen the F7 do a good deed for nothing, not even gratitude.

Now the Sisterhood seems to forget the fact that humanity on Athera could be destroyed, or not fear it as much as they should. The F7 are not there to be humanity's benefactors. If the Koriani were to be humanity's benefactors, then their actions would show as much. They are there now to benefit themselves, and for the purpose of power and domination. I'd wager that some few of them are like Elaira, but without her intestinal fortitude.

By Trys on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

quote:

We have seen the F7 do a good deed for nothing, not even gratitude.

I think a good example of this is the scene where Asandir goes to name Jeynsa as heir to Jeiret. He uses magic to help cure the pelts but uses not one whit of magic to dry himself.

As to the purpose of the Koriathain, I think that varies according to how high a position in the hierarchy a particular sister occupies. Morriel has a very clear purpose. Lirenda is ambitious. But we've seen other sisters who have had somewhat negative reactions to what Morriel is or is about to do but because of their Oath cannot or will not say anything (I seem to remember a prioress having this reaction but can't place for sure when... possibly when Morriel is laying down her grand conjury in Fugitive Prince). But I believe they hold to the original purpose of the sisterhood.

By Sandra Jacob on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 10:56 pm: Edit Post

Several days ago there were some posts about Elaira's crystal. I'm rereading all the books and found a passage in Ships where Luhaine goes to visit Elaira when she's going through the crystal-resonance realignment for longevity. He does something to undo the Koriani spell so that the Koriani had no power over her through her personal crystal. Only the Skyron crystal that held her vow still binds her.

I had completely forgotten that and it may hold a clue as to why her personal crystal chose to return to the Koriani hospice.

By Julie on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:13 pm: Edit Post

Yes but neither Elaira nor Seldie seem aware of that. ALthough I think Seldie still used that crystal as an avenue to Elaira at thte end of SF during the impregnation.