Archive through August 20, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through August 20, 2010
   By Chana on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 01:24 pm: Edit Post

Why is it that you can only meet people who read Janny Wurts and Carol Berg online?

By Sue on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:08 am: Edit Post

I think that we all tend to congregate at the same meeting points, Chana. I would hazard a guess that most of Janny's loyal following would be bored stiff with the run-of-the-mill mass market crime and romance novels that seem to satisfy the masses.

Thank heavens for writers like Janny and Carol Berg who challenge the reader with tightly written plots and language that satisfies!! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 09:08 am: Edit Post

Carol Berg's a favorite of mine, too.

So are Sarah Zettel and Barbara Hambly, if you have not tried them.

By Nikki Hayes on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 07:54 pm: Edit Post

Well I have finally now completed buying the whole Wars of Light and Shadow series with Stormed Fortress and I now have 8 shiny new paperbacks. Any further news on a release date for Initiate's Trial yet? That is my only gripe about reading long serials (which are still being written), the waiting and waiting for the next book (yes, I'm impatient, LOL!). My idea of reading heaven would be a never-ending story but the reading hell comes in with the waiting a minimum 12 months (and not too many authors manage that even) for the next episode ;o)

By Clansman on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:35 am: Edit Post

Well, Nikki, if you have read the rest of the boards here, you know that IT is written, and it is in the final proofing stages (very slow, precise and tedious work, that). Once the final proof is done, I understand that at that point, it goes to the publisher, and the clock to a release date starts ticking. During that pre-publication time, Janny does the artwork for the book.

SF got released in late October of 2007. Here we are, not quite three years later, and the next mammoth book is about to be released. Unlike a certain other epic series that tops the best-seller lists, with a book that was promised by the author in 2006, and who is still writing the darn thing (amongst other activities). Also unlike a certain other epic series that releases one book a year (or thereabouts), but in which the writing could be tighter and continuity errors abound.

I'll take a little waiting in exchange for quality, and I'll take a firm commitment to an author's integrity to work on and finish a long series (thereby showing loyalty to those who support it) in exchange for one who's love for his own story has cooled significantly (I mean, it has been six years since the last book, for crying out loud).

No names, no pack drill.

The thing with epic series is, if you wait to buy the thing once it is completed, the author is starving for an income during the writing of it. Each book must sustain the writing of the one that follows, or the series will stop, because the author goes broke, gets discouraged, and goes to work at Denny's. So we who enjoy quality epic fantasy must do our part, and support the series as they are written.