Archive through November 17, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through November 17, 2010
   By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 09:27 am: Edit Post

Brian, now that is a first!
(narrowly missed coffee spray on the keyboard, that one!)

Would make an interesting anecdote list:

A Book's Life

By Konran on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 08:24 pm: Edit Post

A couple of times I have considered doing something like BookCrossing -- you "tag" your book with a unique ID number, and then "release" it into the wild (i.e. leave it in a public place for someone to find.) Hopefully, they pick it up and read it, and then the idea is that they can go and enter that serial number into the website and say where they found it and what they thought of it and then go leave it for someone else. I've thought about doing that with a couple of copies of Curse of the Mistwraith before :-)

Other than getting my dad and a friend into it, I'm also going to attempt to get the boyfriend hooked. He claims he "never has time" to read but there's loads of times when I'm feeling lazy and just wanting to lie around and he's playing a mindless video game or something, so I've taken to reading to him out loud to get him into some of my favorite books. I didn't want to drag him into a huge long series at first so we're doing "Heroes Die" by Matthew Stover right now, and he's enjoying it :-) I might try and see if he'll get into Curse one of these times (even though it'll take forever to read through ^^;; ) or maybe something a bit shorter like the Cycle of Fire. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I can do :-( I suppose the review thing is a good idea, I just feel horribly like a spammer going around for the sole purpose of promoting my favorite books lol. Maybe if I get around to doing a bunch of them on LibraryThing it won't be so bad. I've been considering doing a review website or blog anyway...

ANYWAY, the point of this overly long piece of drivel is to say that you have loads of loyal readers all doing their best to see that you get the love and distribution you deserve! <3 And that if there's anything further we can do, all you need to do is say the word!

By BillBob on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:00 pm: Edit Post

I'd just like to add my two cents in here. I usually just lurk, but I had to comment on talking up the WoLaS series. I was on Facebook IM with a friend Friday night and she said she was looking for something new to read, so I suggested this series to her and talked it up for 5 minutes or so with her. Then just tonight we were having some friends over for dinner and got into discussing books and stories that had depth and were substantial in length. I suggested this series again as something he could really sink his teeth into. A lot of his friends had been suggesting the Dune novels and having read those we had a long discussion about those and its relative merits. Hopefully one or the other of those will bear fruit.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 09:14 am: Edit Post

Thank you, BillBob!

Reward time!

I am thinking - perhaps - I might (ought?) to post up the changed blurb copy I sent to London....as a snippet thread. Mind, the publisher may edit it (when they get the re-posted copy up). But at least you'd have the spirit of the thing as a preview...grin?

What say you?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 09:43 am: Edit Post

Konran - thank you too!

I am familiar with Book Crossing - grin. Wild.

Name recognition takes repeats to catch, so I have been told. So a person hearing or seeing an opinion about a book will not necessarily bite the first time - unless it is a trusted friend, that is the most reliable link.

What can be done for ANY book you like:

If you are on Facebook, join the active forum (yes there is one, I am not present, it's been pretty dormant - new activity helps lots).

If you are on a book forum site, such as LibraryThing or GoodReads or Shelfari or BookCrossing: RATE, REVIEW, and if the site allows, MARK OTHER REVIEWS YOU LIKE, it moves them up in the algorithm.

Post your reviews, ratings, and 'likes' on Amazon, B&N, any other site you buy from; many don't have any rating or reviews at all. If you do a book blog, spread that review post around.

If you buy from Amazon, TAG the books!

What this does: it reflects the average reader's satisfaction (keeps the ratings sound, since some readers don't finish, and pan the title, which is inevitable and fine) but your participation raises the average, and increases the algorithm for a book you like; when you tag a review as 'helpful' or you 'liked it' - that review rises to the top of the page. The more popular a title, the more people 'tag' reviews they 'liked' and those show strongest - it makes a nice first impression.

Always say WHY you liked the book - that gives readers a chance to see a reason they might also be intrigued (or to stay the heck away if they don't like the concept)

DO NOT SPAM FORUMS, thanks, that is just annoying. But nothing stops you from running down the bottom of the page at Amazon, where they allow you to 'start a conversation about this book' and putting in an entry.

Konran: if your boyfriend is a listener, check out the new AUDIO version of Cycle of Fire from Audible/narrated by David Thorpe - it is fully out, and available from all of audible's sites, and also from the i-tunes store. iTunes is a FREE download; and there are other MP3 options, from Audible's site. Once he's listening to MP3, there's a whole range of download excerpts available from THIS SITE; look under Excerpts in the menu.

What am I doing for 'outreach'? Running the discussions at GoodReads - AND - what I do best: writing.

Your enthusiasm is invaluable/always welcome when it's natural, not forced. So stick to rating and tagging if you are the silent type.

I appreciate you people here so much!

On Initiate's Trial - Don is reading the final manuscript for the first time; he just walked in having read the 'midpoint climax' and was fizzing. You have some great fun in store....