Archive through January 10, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through January 10, 2011
   By John Parsons on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

Regarding Koriathain Obligations

SPOILER
SPOILER
(just in case someone hasn't yet read SF!)

In SF there are two instances where Koriathain obligations are mentioned, one was the healing of Sidir where Arithon took on the obligation as Sidir's friend and the Masterbard. The second was the recall of Arithon where the obligation was bound against the Crown of Rathain.
How those obligations are paid seems to be the key to what happens in Initiates Trial, but I wondered (Janny please!) if there are any limits as to what the Twisted Sisters can/do demand as repayment?

Hyperbole: You have an infected toe, the Koriathain heal it and then years later demand your child's life service as repayment - surely not! - but how is it limited?

John

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 10:45 pm: Edit Post

Go, good Tale-Spinner, go!

(And a Happy New Year to one and all here. ;-) )

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 11:40 am: Edit Post

John, since you asked; the competition is so fierce, and, editors do meetings/have little time to 'edit' as they once would. It's pretty much on the author. The manuscript may or may not be 'edited' - by the editor at the desk; if so, it will be tiny technical things, like switching

had once been
to
once had been
(I fix this stuff, now, matter of course)

The manuscript will be copy-edited for punctuation, grammar, word use; etc...

Mine go in very clean; have to, as the style is markedly original. Little I've done since Sorcerer's Legacy's first printing has been 'edited' with a touch you'd notice at all.

I will leave your OTHER point unanswered as it was not directed to me...the answers to both issues are in the text.

On the other question directed to me up the page that I've not answered yet, I am deciding how to respond since it Might affect what you know...;) I have not forgotten the question was asked. The schedule around here has been scorching between writing, holidays, a huge Christmas concert the band put on, and now, year end taxes. Almost in the clear - I've not had any extra time for thought.

By Annette on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:24 pm: Edit Post

Janny how is it they are able to say how many pages the book will have before you submit a final manuscript. Do they tell you how many pages you can have and then you trim the book down to fit, or add extra sections at the back with the glossary. I remember you saying you had an extra 6 pages to fill in one of the editions of the books, which is how we ended up with an extra section.

And after the seven ages of Redemption what comes next? The age of Enlightenment? Did you ever do any story outlines for anything after the ages of Redemption. It seems like the first book almost started at the end. Presumably we get a further glimpse of the seventh age later on, we are all still wondering about those sages and why they were so interested in looking back at what happened in the third age.

By Trys on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 06:19 am: Edit Post

Any numbers that appear on sites like Amazon in advance of the book being produced is pure guesswork. As to having additional pages available this has to do with the actual construction of the book. A book is made of X number of signatures of Y number of pages each. Once the publisher knows the number of signatures and how the text fills out those signatures they will then know if there are going to be any blank pages available. If the pages aren't filled they become waste so there's no monetary advantage to not filling them.

Jeff <-- who is a software engineer writing software that automates the printing industry.