Archive through January 25, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through January 25, 2011
   By Sleo on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 06:10 pm: Edit Post

And horrah on 117.

By Annette on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:11 pm: Edit Post

But way back when Janny was writing an early chapter (4 or before) Janny had this to say about Dakar.

quote:

By Janny Wurts on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 04:19 pm:
Sometimes bringing these books up to speed make me Rip Out My Hair! (It's all Dakar's fault, today).

I always say, it takes me until chapter Set 5 to hit stride....and this one, so far, is proving to be a hair raiser (that's what I get for not repeating the same plotline, or doing the predictable...)

Holding the fat prophet in line as an apprentice isn't the half of the mess - writing his next line would, absolutely, challenge a Fellowship Sorcerer to fits...

Once, I could count on him tripping over his own feet and throwing in a monkey wrench or three, by way of forehead slapping stupidity...

Now, he's not so blooming stupid..

I do not think Dakar would be stupid enough to bite a Koriani, taste test was around chapter 6 I think. Dakar does not feel like eating when he is recovering from a fit of prescience or using strong magecraft, he could be a prisoner or perhaps injured.

By Sleo on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:20 pm: Edit Post

Yes. Or pissed off!

By Annette on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:53 pm: Edit Post

Well I could think of a reason Dakar would be pissed of with Arithon, and was a bit suspicious when Janny indicate Traithe would be getting some attention in what seems chapter 7.The title of main chapter 4 was Dispossessed, which had me picturing all sorts of things happening, but then Traithe gets centre stage a few chapters later which narrowed my focus down a bit.

It seems unlikely to happen so early in Arc 4 but at some point Arithon is going to be visiting Rockfell Peak with intentions of breaking in. If it takes 2 sorcerors to set up the wards it seems likely Arithon is going to need help and I cannot imagine any of the sorcerers giving him any. Dakar seems the likely accomplice, Dakar hates Rockfell! If Traithe was in danger of dying, the best way to help him would be to restore his full powers. To do that Arithon would have to deal with the remaining wraiths held in Rockfell. Still does not explain why Dakar would need to be hand fed, but it is an idea.

By Sleo on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

How do you know this stuff? I was picturing Dakar captured by the Koriathain which would piss him off and make him bite anything.

I've read four sneak peeks of IT, and didn't see any of the stuff you're talking about.