Archive through January 28, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through January 28, 2011
   By Janny Wurts on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:06 pm: Edit Post

No way to tell. New editor.

I have no idea what the numbers equation will be, either - sales of Stormed Fortress, projected forward for P&L (Profit and Loss statement) to know what margin there is for page length - so many factors. I've held back to tighten this as much as can be done.

On a hopeful note, the last book was sent straight on to copy-edit/no changes. That's been the pattern, with this series, to date...

The length issue is the biggest question mark I can see from here.

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:10 pm: Edit Post

If only there was a way to collectively know who had pre-ordered or was planning to buy on launch.

I'm not one to pre-order and won't buy online - I'd prefer to buy through a store, or from the author direct, so my purchase isn't really trackable until I actually buy :S

Either way, let's all hope that the pattern continues!

By Janny Wurts on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 02:34 am: Edit Post

They will base their projections on how the prior book did, not as much on advance orders, though those also help predetermine enthusiasm.

By Annette on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 03:48 am: Edit Post

Pity about that, Stormed Fortress never had a hardback edition and the trade paperback seems to have not been as available as it should have been.

I have actually never seen any of the books in my local shops and even buying online from Booktopia they never seem to have the books in stock but get them sent over from an American supplier. For a while they never even had all the series, despite some only being reprinted fairly recently. :-(

By Janny Wurts on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

'should have been' - 'pity?'

This is a numbers issue. Plain and simple.

If the books are not 'seen' they must be 'heard' about.

The website has all manner of excerpts, e book samples to download, audio files - so ANYONE with a device can access a slice of the action to see if it interests them. I've been hard at work with the discussions at GoodReads; got Twitter; this chat; an upcoming interview at Off The Shelf (Feb 6), two public appearances (the Mythic Faire in Baltimeore, weekend of March 11, and DragonCon) - I am honestly doing all that I can.

Who's joined the fan group at Facebook?