Archive through February 07, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through February 07, 2011
   By Hunter on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 11:35 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny,

Are you going to give us teasers of the cover art as you're painting it?

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 11:43 pm: Edit Post

Hunter: let me mop up the last bits, (back check, key in pages, proof/final read/TURN IN) before I think of what teasers - I will do cover art asap once the manuscript goes in - let's see how fast I can wipe up the last bits. You may have a clue as to how long that might take - I gave set 13's pause point for backcheck and key in - this set was the same number of pages to start with.

What did it take me, 5 days?

Once I pick up the MESS in here, and once my editor's desk is groaning under the mass of Ye Book, I will look at the next stage...

This novel has felt like melting an iceberg with a blow torch and ONE box of matches....grin. Every day a full day - just took lots of work.

By Hunter on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:15 am: Edit Post

Thanks Janny..

One wonders whether the cover art will in fact contain a teaser/spoiler that we can ascertain?

I was thinking of something similar to the day by day pictures similar to the US Traitor's Knot cover art.

By Annette on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 02:10 am: Edit Post

Being a landscape it would be somewhere some of the action takes place presumably, although Thembrel's Oak made it as a background for Traitor's Knot, so maybe not. So far we have had -

1.Ithamon and Rockfell Peak

2.The Havens and The Havens?

3.Kelahorn Peaks, Vastmark and Althain Tower

4.Grimward and the ruin at Corith

5.Ilswater River, Caithwood and the marker stone near Daenfal Lake

6.River Aiyenne? and Arithon crossing Daon Ramon?(better read the book again)

7.Thembrel's Oak and overlook at Etarra

8.Alestron's Seagate Keep burning and the Wyntok Gate

Personally I prefer the character art covers rather than landscapes. Perhaps for Initiate's Trial we could have something from Havish as the background and Meth Isle Fortress as the icon image. Or even the rebuilt Telmandir as the icon image or Telmandir being torn down again, which would be a spoiler. Personally I hope the army is sent packing and Telmandir survives.

If Janny likes to do a character art cover as an extra cover we can buy, that Exile Returns one would be nice even though it would be the wrong book, or something with Lysaer. Perhaps not the heroic figure, but the one brooding over loosing control of what his religious fanatics and their army are getting up to.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:49 am: Edit Post

:-) Har - authorial duct tape moment: :X

I will be showing the cover art, yes, as it is created...

ALSO, sigh, if I can scrape up the TIME: I have a painting started on the easel that 'would have been' the US hardback for Stormed Fortress; for YEARS I've had the panels created to PUT the artwork on (all the way through the final volume) Makes NO sense not to make those works, one day...

When I get them finished, the 'plan' is, to set up type, book jacket style, and so, you could pay for that 'jacket print' and wrap it over your hardback copy (replace or cover the dust jacket) to make your copy match your other USA volumes. There would likely be collectors among you want the completed set to LOOK contiguous.

Just have to cram in the time. I had this painting underway 2 years ago; wanted to show it at DragonCon, but - NO WAY - was there any time to shove into the schedule. The work on Initiate's Trial was taking every moment.

In case anybody MISSED IT, art prints of the cover images AND full size maps in sepia/parchment toned background or black and white are available NOW. They are GORGEOUS, and color matched to the originals. Prices range by size and paper quality/shipping to your area of the world.

I am now starting the back-check.
The interview for Off the Shelf went yesterday, there will be links posted as soon as I have them.