Archive through February 16, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through February 16, 2011
   By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:03 am: Edit Post

The series was written for people like you, Annette. :-)

I have always felt the best stories give you more - that the more time spent, the greater the reward. There are depths and heights to this series not yet apparent...won't be until they are all out.

By bookwurm on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:53 am: Edit Post

Curiosity certainly will not kill you in this instance!! We moved to a small rural village about five years ago (left you behind at my old book club with my sister and friends Janny!!) My sister bulk buys from Amazon - or takes up the 3 for 2 offer in Waterstones (if it's available at the time) for my old club Janny so please check which serves you best as that's what I do for my current club. I am nearly forty (shhh don't tell anyone) but I am the youngest member by nearly twenty years. I wondered along to the local pub to meet with the knitting club (I wanted to meet people) and it was great because there was far more drinking of wine and chatting than actual knitting (I can't knit) and they are a wonderful small group of 'older' women (59 - 88 years) and they happily evolved into a book club because I was missing my old club.

Two of them are retired M&B authors so there's a lot of romance. Most of them are 'very English' so there is a lot of Classics (which I've enjoyed reading this time and happy to remember from my English Literature days). Crime and thrillers dish out lively debate although being voracious readers they love the 'let's guess whodunnit' game which can sometimes ruin the actual reading of the book! Whoever wins has to buy the bottles (yes, you read that right, bottlesssssss)of wine so it's handy that I'm normally wrong! I haven't been sussed yet but we don't have that many 'whodunnit' books!

When I introduced Fantasy to them (that was a jocular session let me tell you - I was worried about heart attacks and, yes, I think one or two were a little disappointed initially to discover that fantasy did not mean erotica) I am quite chuffed to say that was a real revelation for them. Witches, Wizards and Magic for Grown Ups was how I managed to sell it I vaguely remember.

The general consensus is we all feel like we are reading exquisite poetry. Some ladies did struggle initially with your prose but they are all glad they kept at it. For some they have had to re-read in order to retain the characters and story lines (please take in consideration their ages) and it is a testament to your writing that they want to since your books are not short! Interestingly they all refuse to see Arithon as the supreme hero. They always refer back to CotM when Lysaer needs defending!! Bearing in mind the number of books you had already written in the series I wasn't allowed to introduce another author for a couple of years!

They are all Football Fans too - discussion of games is really feisty and I'll be glad when the Season is over. It's really a battle at the top the Premiership right now so you can only imagine. . . . unless you follow the English Premiership of course!!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

bookwurm - what a blast of a group! They sound like lots of fun...thank you for sharing your story.

Honestly - grin, what a picture! And the funny bit: the little dark guy cannot be the hero...amazing...

The persistence of those people, and you, warms my heart.

I belong to a neighborhood book club - mostly older people (past 40) - and yes, I can relate: I've put them through a number of fantasies and Hambly's historicals. The reactions were mostly favorable and even, hysterical.

I have to pause and realize for some people, imagination is SCARY - something beaten out of them as kids.

Honestly - I don't know which venue is 'best' - the fact you are bringing multiple people aboard at once - truly? - just get the books! anything through Waterstones or Amazon will be a 'number' as long as (for the latter) it is not a 'reseller' - as in, they also deal used/sell for other vendors. (when copies are listed for under the price that Amazon lists at the top, that is usually a reseller).

By Dan Gamble on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 02:34 pm: Edit Post

Congratulations Janny on turning it in. Apologies for my absence, a number of personal tragedies have rather taken my focus lately. It's been a long time since we had those first teaser sections yet felt like no time at all. I can't wait to read the final version when it's released (hopefully not to long to wait now, just enough time to finish my re-read). I'm more excited about this arc, simply because I have a feeling we're going to have a gear change and I don't have any idea where the story's going - I prefer that, I like to be pleasently surprised - and will like to see the advancement or crushing of many of my theories and ideas. Here's to the next few months of prep til we get to see the culmination of what has been a lot of work and what has sounded like some very meticulous editing!

By Hunter on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 03:03 pm: Edit Post

Past 40 = Older people? Hey, when did that happen?

I resemble that remark and I'm not happy!

Annette - like you, my original copy of CotM is pretty battered from continual re-reading. I do have a hardback version of Curse with the painting of Lysaer (boo..) and Arithon (yeah!) on the dust jacket which is great. I have the signed prints of Curse and Ships that Janny had available many years ago - these are framed and on my study wall and look magnifique.