Archive through May 01, 2009

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Sneak Peak number four.: Archive through May 01, 2009
   By motley on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 06:40 pm: Edit Post

Maybe they can do something with wraiths...

By Lauren Willis on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:44 am: Edit Post

I haven't checked into the website in ages, but I finally got my mass market sized Stormed Fortress and freaked when it said it was the last for the series. Knowing Janny's books I hoped it meant the Alliance of Light set and I am thrilled my hunch was right. I am so excited to go through all these snippets properly once I have devoured Stormed Fortress! I didn't even realise the boards were here.

By Robert B Finegold, MD on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 04:35 pm: Edit Post

Just a note of appreciation, Ms Wurts.
Ever since I read and greatly enjoyed your Empire trilogy with Raymond Feist, I've collected your Mistwraith series in hardcover (except for Stormed Fortress, which I cold only find as a trade market PB from amazonUK) since 1993. But I withheld from reading them. Since I read SF "concludes" the "The Wars of Light and Shadow", I finally took them off the shelf where they have set pristine for years and read all seven heavy volumes over the last few months.
They were very much worth the wait.
Truly epic and character driven, which tend to be what I find most satisfying in a fantasy novel.
I noted shared fantasy elements with other works (Tolkeinesque majesty of elder races, dragons, Amber-like patterns that provide transport, Darkovan crystal matrixes to focus will/cast spells, spellsinger, swords of power, female magical orders, etc) but all represented in fresh and novel ways. And the hints of science fiction regarding the origins of the Fellowship sorcerers and the destroyed worlds of men was a nice touch.
Quite enthralling.
Time well spent.
Of course, I just discovered that "Stormed Fortress" is NOT the completion of your epic series. And having been so deeply enmeshed in Althera (I could draw your map from memory!), I will be unable to repeat my 16 year restraint from when I first bought "The Curse of the Mistwraith". Instead I will devour each new volume, beginning with "Initiate's Trial", as soon as made available. >smile<

Respectfully,
Bob

By Clansman on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 07:52 am: Edit Post

Bob:

Your self-control awes me. Really, especially for someone who obviously loves excellent books.

Go look at the bibliography, and get your hands on the short stories "Child of Prophecy", "Sundering Star" and "Reins of Destiny". Then your reading will be complete, at least as complete as it can be.

Welcome to the board!:-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:28 am: Edit Post

Hi Lauren Willis - glad to say you'll be happy, there are three more volumes to finish to reach the conclusion of the series.

Welcome Here Robert B. Feingold, MD!
And wow, thanks for the very nice words, and most of all for the fact you're not sorry you plunged now. The series certainly will do best if people realize I try very hard to make each book, and each story arc deliver.

The good news for you is the last three volumes are in fact under contract - let's hope very much the re-release gains new readers so we can win back the hardback. Picture me jumping for joy if that happens.

The three short stories Clansman mentions cover various elements of the back history, and they are published in various anthologies. If you want a steer, let me know - wikipedia may list them already, for all I know. (I have seen Wiki get snarky if involved people like authors directly correct their own stuff, but the readers are usually very accurate).

By Trys on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:33 am: Edit Post

Here's the link to the page on Janny's website that lists the short stories: http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/website/Books/ShortStories/ShortStories.html. There is also the Paravia Wiki as a resource: wiki.paravia.com.

Trys

By Robert B Finegold, MD on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:25 am: Edit Post

Dear Clansman and Trys,
Thanks for the welcome.
...And for telling me of three short stories of Althera of which I had no knowledge. I just ordered the three collections in which they are contained. Amazon.com is a wonderful thing.

And Ms Wurts,
Thank you for your notice. And your wonderful news. It is obvious your publisher recognizes the quality of your work compared to other fantasy novels that have flooded the market, warranting the re-releases. I hope, therefore, there is promotional marketing planned in accompaniment.

I, too, would love your new works to have hardcover conditions. I am, admittedly, a bit persnikety with the books in my collection. It was a challenge to read a novel of "Stormed Fortress"' girth as a trade paperback without creasing the spine or blunting the corners (I was successful, though >smile< ).

I am also an admirer of your artwork. It has been fun visiting this site and finding your Altheran paintings and sketches. Any chance of a collection of this art someday a la "Pictures by Tolkien"? I will add it is a shame Karen Wynn Fonstad is no longer doing fantasy atlases (as she did for Middle-Earth, McCafferey's Pern, and Donaldson's The Land), for Althera would be a fine addition.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and the good news that we have at least three more adventures in Althera to look forward to.

Respectfully,
Bob

By Clansman on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 11:40 am: Edit Post

Bob:

Great to have such a contributor of profundity!

By the way, it is "ATHERA", not "ALTHERA". Sorry about that, but I have a terrible tendency to be pedantic.

I'm working on it, but my wife says I'm not making much progress. Then, you come to chat areas like this, where there are a lot more of us (eh, Grim/Mark)?

By Trys on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 01:13 pm: Edit Post

PEDANTS UNITE!! <grin>

I'm one but I'm currently in remission... ::BIG GRIN::

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:41 pm: Edit Post

Hi Bob -

Thanks for your huge vote of confidence - I am not alone in hoping this re-launch makes a difference - and a big enough one at that to have that art book!

I hope you will have wondrous fun with the short stories, when they arrive - I know they've raised a few crows of astonishment.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 07:54 pm: Edit Post

Welcome from me too, Bob. And since all Wurts fans approach "Seshkrozchiel" with no small trepidation when it comes to spelling, I think we can relax pedantic posture a little! The Gryphon (Trys) I've not figured out yet, but Clanny loosens pendantic hold if you sing him a good drinking song...;-)

Seriously, do get the short stories, though. Enlightening, indeed!

By Clansman on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:10 am: Edit Post

Ach, Mark. You know my weakness too well!

Oh, I love to have a beer with Duncan,
da dum da da dum dum dee...

With the spring comes not only the flowers and the birds, but also the fine pilseners and blonde ales. Particularly good to enjoy with a friend, and some song, in the sunshine on a lawn patio of a good pub, or a back yard.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:19 pm: Edit Post

Blonde ales appreciated here, as well. Don't forget the mai boks and the white ales, too. Maybe Dakar will turn into a beer connoisseur for Initiate's Trial....

*lights come up on a scene in a tavern in Havish, where we find our friend the prophet immersed to his chin in suds....*

"Fatemaster forfend! Serve me any more of this pilfered Etarran swill they're calling pale ale and I'll be a week in the privy...."

*fades, only to resurface in the Captain's Quarters on Khetienne (liberties abound, it seems!)...*

Arithon: "Ale? But what of the Shandian reds in the hold?"

Dakar: "Finished that 40 leagues back, I did. There's a heady Vastmark Porter still untapped...."

By Clansman on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

Porter from Vastmark???? All they can grow there is stone and goats!

I would have thought Porters would be more likely to come from Fallowmere or Camris. Even Lanshire.