Archive through March 03, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Publication date?: Archive through March 03, 2011
   By Brian R on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:53 pm: Edit Post

Although a confirmed computerholic, I really like to pick up a "real" book and settle down to read.
I have had to struggle with too many computer based programmes and units to want to use an electronic version. With an actual book, not too much can go wrong with it apart from the odd cup of coffee which might get spilt very occasionally

By Clansman on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

I too prefer a real book. If you take a paperback to the beach, and it gets lost or falls in the water, you are out $10. If you drop it in the tub, it gets really really fat, but it is still readable. Not so with a kindle or IPad, etc.

While the convenience of electronic readers is obvious (hundreds of books in one small device), they are made from toxic industrial processes, whereas paper and forestry production has become increasingly 'green'. Sustainable forestry is a reality in many countries, whereas there is no such thing as a sustainable petro-chemical industry, which is what produces the components of electronic readers.

There is also the simple feel of the paper in your hands, and the smell of an old book just can't be duplicated. It is, at its heart, an emotional experience that technology cannot match.

By Trys on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 12:08 pm: Edit Post

On the other hand one has to deal with aging eyes and the ability to read very fine print. Granted, glasses are an option, but I've found that the Kindle as rejuvenating my reading. :-)

By Theresa on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 01:31 pm: Edit Post

Trys: Yes. Exactly. Nothing will stop me from buying the printed books, since there's nothing like having a book in hand; it's a tactile thing for me, and they look lovely on the shelf. But the eyes... oh, the eyes. I would not trade the iPad for anything. Adjustable text and a library in my bag on the iPad and the phone, perfectly portable and extraordinarily handy. Printed, e-books and audiobooks. I'll take all three and -do- for a lot of authors. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 03:17 pm: Edit Post

I have sent across a request to look in to Ships availability in Australia - also, you can also get the books at the iBook store if you are wedded to your iPad.