Archive through March 26, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through March 26, 2011
   By Annette on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:00 pm: Edit Post

Well I have had no luck trying to convince Booktopia to offer a full series yet, still they say their suppliers are out of stock for Warhost of Vastmark and I first asked about that discrepancy last September, I waited months before giving up and buying it from the UK. I brought the other 7, the 3 related books with the short stories and the Empire series from them, but it seems my interest was not enough to convince them to find a supplier for the missing book. I have said they ever get it I would still buy it from them, I might die of old age waiting though. Hopefully a hardback sale inspires more enthusiasm.

So Janny, back to the story, just out of curiosity if we were to discuss the tempering experiences Arithon needs to obtain his hearts desire where would we start? With Kewar, or earlier, the experience with the lane tides and Rockfell seemed like a tempering experience. Do we only count ones with a positive impact? Do they all have to be so painful, or could some good ones such as the healing with the sunchildren be included.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 11:27 am: Edit Post

I've been re-reading the series and a thought just occurred to me about the prologue. I wanted to hear what you guys thought. What if the high kings are never restored to power by the end of the series? I mean, if Arithon or his daughter became crowned, wouldn't his history survive? The very fact that the sages are looking for answers implies otherwise. Unless Arithon's daughter or her descendants are crowned without ever realizing their blood ties to Arithon.

What do all of you think?

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 11:29 am: Edit Post

Sorry if I should have posted the above comment somewhere else. I didn't think before hand. Now I realize there is a discussion section for the CoftheMW prologue. I'd still like your opinions though. :-)

By Annette on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 03:26 pm: Edit Post

Arithon's daughter will never be crowned though, the sorcerers agreed to give up their rights before she was even born. If Arithon is never to know of her existence it would be a bit hard to have her as High Queen of Rathain. That she was acknowledged at all for the sucession, Arithon would know she was s'Ffalenn, and that he had somehow had a daughter.

Davien good as admitted Arithon could choose either path, but still Arithon is unlikely to accept kingship if something more suitable comes along. Davien's plans for Arithon do not include kingship, he is after something a bit more stable than the present compact. If Arithon accepts Davien's alternative, you would think a high king of Athera would still be needed though. I somehow doubt Lysaer will still want the job after he made such a mess of things, I am not really expecting him to survive to the end of the series. Maybe Lysaer has more children, or maybe a s'Lornmein manages to survive. Or there would still be s'Ahelas and s'Ilessid descendants on Dascen Elur perhaps one of them would do if a high king was still needed.

I should think Arithon himself (or perhaps he becomes known as someone else in the last book, bit suspicious of that) is going to survive till the end of the series, Davien seems to have set everything up for him. Every 500 years go for a trip through Kewar and then pay a certain fountain a visit. I doubt Davien is going to all this trouble to only come up with a temporary solution to the problem, he would expect Arithon to live for a very long time.

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 09:54 am: Edit Post

Annette, that was my take as well. :-) I wonder if we'll be right or not. Janny almost always surprises me.

It was funny, going back and re-reading the first book, because I was reminded of my original assumptions. The first time I read CoftheMW I was certain Arithon was going to die at the end of the series, that Lysaer was going to rule and that his religion would still be around during the time of the sages and that it was the reason they were looking into the past for the truth. Guess my opinion was changed. I like that, that I was so wrong. Makes everything a lot more interesting.