Archive through October 03, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through October 03, 2011
   By Walt on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 07:09 pm: Edit Post

Spoiler...

Possible...

Spoiler...

It is undoubtedly Morriel: Janny describes the old crone as having NINE scarlet bands of rank on her sleeves, nine bands denoting Prime rank...

It also makes sense that she would appear as her true self, rather than Selidie's purloined form..

By Sleo on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 07:18 pm: Edit Post

Oh! Is that right? I remember nine bands, but forgot the significance. Hm.

By Annette on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 07:19 pm: Edit Post

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers...

Sleo, the old woman handing Arithon the lyranthe had 9 bands of rank, which only the Prime has, unless Lirenda made it to ninth rank and is first senior again. But would Lirenda appear as a crone even if she is old enough to be one? In the scene where Fionn is shape changed the crystal seemed to see Lirenda as she was normally (Grand Conspiracy pg 29 pb version). And at the end of chapter one, Arithon remembers nothing, not even how to talk it seems, Kerelie seems to be a girl he would like. Hope they come up a better solution than they did for that poor bull though when the crofters realise who they took in.

I think Selidie/Morriel has definitely lost the plot, she seemed to be attributing her own machinations and thoughts to the fellowship. Maybe she is having a similar perspective problem to what Lysaer had when thinking of Arithon. Hate has twisted her view of reality.

It does not say spoilers in the thread title, and I believe we even have to have spoiler warnings after IT is released, so probably Trys will be after us if we do not put all the spoiler warnings in.

By Sleo on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 07:30 pm: Edit Post

No, I'm sure it's not Lirenda. Probably all the spell wards make Morriel appear as herself. Still, she couldn't even walk when she did the grand spell that transferred herself to Selidie's body. And I'm sure you all are right about the nine bands.

By Annette on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 08:15 pm: Edit Post

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers...

Morriel's body is long gone, burnt to ash, so what physical infirmities she had back then is not going to make any difference to how crystal would perceive her. Perhaps re-reading the scene in Grand Conspiracy might give further insight into how Arithon was imprisoned in the first scene. The other clues might perhaps be found in Peril's Gate where Selidie/Morriel was trying to entrap Davien (pg 394 in the newest paperback version). The relevant line would be.

quote:

Once the Betrayer lay at the order's mercy, she could seize the Named imprint of his consciousness. Given that template, she could then craft the specialized sigil to rule him.

There could be other clues, but those were the only two that caught my attention after I had read the Imprisoned teaser.