Archive through October 04, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through October 04, 2011
   By Hunter on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 10:46 pm: Edit Post

As far as I know, there is only one Koriathain with nine scarlet bands - Morriel Prime. The description is:

"She came, swathed head to foot in a violet mantle, sewn with nine scarlet bands upon her full sleeves."

And I doubt Morriel would let just any old enchantress deal with Arithon in a cage made from magecraft.

The list of people who've been intimate with Arithon is not limited to Elaira. There was Dalwyn, then Glendien. And Dakar stumbled into an intimate moment along the way as well. That Arithon's a harlot, no doubt!

By Sleo on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 11:24 pm: Edit Post

I meant emotionally and physically intimate. And the ones Dakar 'stumbled into' were Arithon and Elaira. He was not 'intimate' with Glendein as her body was inhabited by Elaira.

And Annette, Arithon remembers a love while he's in captivity still, way before he meets up with the crofters.

By Annette on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 12:37 am: Edit Post

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers...

Yes but Arithon's memory was completely wiped once he was released, what he once had is not going to make one bit of difference now he has nothing.

quote:

Every artful line of his own refined melody deserted his cognizance, lost to him as though hurled to oblivion

the obliteration of his identity provided his only protection

“Arithon’s remembrance had to be stripped. Completely, without reservation. To stay undetected, safely out of sight, he could not have access to the least knowledge of his identity.”

“Arithon doesn’t know me!” Elaira cried, pained. “He may never remember. Why should he not be set free of a past that is dangerous unless it stays lost to him? Where I have the bitter-sweet joy of remembrance, he has been left nothing at all! Is my love so small that I cannot let him discover anew what happiness life has to offer? Who will he have at his side, and what caring, unless he finds joy in another companion?”

It would seem, in Harry Potter vernacular that Arithon was obliviated. So he not only lost his identity, but all memory.

He will not remember Elaira, and Elaira will not do anything to change that. Elaira herself said he should be free to seek happiness with another, and there is nothing in Arithon's nature that would make him avoid female entanglements. It was his training as a sorcerer that caused that, who knows what he might be like if it takes a while for his memory to return. He could turn out a completely different person, still ruled by compassion and empathy, but perhaps different. Perhaps even when he gets his memory back, the auric imprint Seledie/Morriel has would still not match with the new Arithon.

By Trys on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 05:08 am: Edit Post

Pleased do use the "Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers". Not everyone wants to read the excerpt in advance of the book being published and if the "Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers" is the first thing in the post then a spoiler could appear in the page that comes up after a search.

By Sleo on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Well, I can see I'm wrong on all points! I bow to your superior powers of observation.

However.... I, for one, will be EXTREMELY upset if Arithon gets together with Kerelie. If he gets together with anyone, it has to be Elaira, although I think it's likely to end with Arithon playing his lyranthe for all time to keep everyone in touch with their humanity....and the world of Athera in balance with the Paravians back and the F7 finally able to retire and fade... poor old things. :-)