Archive through October 27, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Publication date?: Archive through October 27, 2011
   By Sleo on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:29 pm: Edit Post

Hey! For those of you in the US, Kobo has it available RIGHT NOW in EPUB format! 12.99 but I bought it! Whooppee!

I checked Barnes & Noble and they have it for preorder, available Oct. 27. They also have all of her books available now in EPUB! They didn't have them for a while and I wrote them and complained. They sent a vague message back blaming the publisher. But anyway, they have them all now in eformat. I also have the hard cover on order, but prefer to read on my Nook to save the beautiful books! Just wanted to let you all know in case you want to start reading immediately.

By Annette on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:57 am: Edit Post

Thank you Sleo, do not mind adding yet another version of Janny's books to my collection.
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-Wars-Light-Shadow-Initiates/book-9jvyPy4WWU6zjgSZM7XsOg/page1.html

I was going to start a new topic for discussion, but have just discovered something much more fun to do. :-)

Edit - Soon as I work out how to use the new software.

By Sleo on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 01:04 am: Edit Post

Yeah! I downloaded Adobe Digital Edition sometime ago and it automatically loads into that, then I can transfer to my Nook.:-) Now I'm going to bed. It's 2AM here.

By Annette on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 01:13 am: Edit Post

I just downloaded the PC software, no fancy gadgets here, and it is only 5.15pm so plenty of time to read once I get all the work done. :-)

Nice sketch to start with, much better than the kindle versions so far.

Janny was Abner Stein your agent?

By Sleo on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 08:35 am: Edit Post

Which PC software did you download? I agree, the art work is beautiful on my computer, so if I see something in the Nook version I can't see, I will bring it up on the computer!

By Annette on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

The free Kobo desktop reader, seems pretty good and Janny has not yet come up with a word not in its inbuilt dictionary. The individual maps came out a bit strange, so I will have to wait for the hardback version to read some of the updates. One of the towns on the border of the mystery area in the middle of the map has been named. Cannot read it though, so hopefully it is mentioned in the book some where. I am only up to chapter five and Arithon's unorthodox solution to avoiding capture.

By Sleo on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 08:53 am: Edit Post

Maybe we should set up chapter by chapter discussion threads? I couldn't keep my eyes open last night or absorb what I was reading, so I'm still on part 1 of Chapter 1.

By Annette on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

It is 2am here so probably I will not last much longer, but just have to see how the sub chapter goes. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:59 am: Edit Post

Wow, Kobo selling before the 'on sale' date - that's not terribly ethical....that doesn't make for a level playing field for the others who abide by release date.

I am checking on this; meantime, those who have the book - enjoy it!

Yes, Annette, Abner Stein was my London agent for many many years. His business has stayed in the family, since he passed. I have one in the USA and another for translations.

By Annette on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:27 am: Edit Post

Definitely enjoying the "book"

Still waiting for the real ones though, somehow it is just not the same unless it is made of paper and you can curl up with it and relax while enjoying a good read. And in this case actually see the finer details on the map!

By Reading_fox on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:01 am: Edit Post

"Hey! For those of you in the US, Kobo has it available RIGHT NOW in EPUB format! 12.99 but I bought it! Whooppee"

Also available in the UK!
Which is almost unbelivable the US and UK ebook versions are available simultaineously!

Want=Have I liek ebooks.

Tricky question though is how much re-reading to do? The whole series? (probably) or pick up from a couple of books back?

By Sleo on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 07:03 am: Edit Post

Well I lucked out and had just finished my third reread, so... I'm almost halfway through and Annette is probably finished by now.

By Annette on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 07:39 am: Edit Post

I finished yesterday. :-)

By Sleo on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 07:42 am: Edit Post

I figured! Now you'll have to reread unless you have a microscopic memory! :-)

By Annette on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 08:02 am: Edit Post

Not sure microscopic is the right word there. I have a lousy memory which is why I had to read the books so many times to have a chance of remembering anything, typing up a few quotes so I do not forget them. When I get a real book in my hands I can then add the page numbers when I re-read in comfort. I do not mind re-reading it when it officially gets released.

By Trys on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

Book Depository shipped my copy yesterday (Oct 20) so I should see it sometime next week I'm guessing.

Sleo, do you recall how long it usually takes for a book to wing its way from Book Depository?

By Sleo on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

I've never ordered from them before

By Trys on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 09:45 am: Edit Post

Then we'll find out together. :-)

By Annette on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:54 am: Edit Post

It took between 6 and 10 days for my books to all arrive, and I live in Australia. Our postal service here is hopeless at delivering anything fast.

By David Cornelson on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:10 pm: Edit Post

Yay Kobo!

Dave Begins to read.

By Sleo on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 01:54 pm: Edit Post

Good for you Dave! I do hope to have my actual book before too long.

By Trys on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 02:25 pm: Edit Post

Postal Service in the US is pretty quick and depending on the method used to ship from the UK can be as little as 3-4 days. This is based on Amazon.co.uk shipping.

By Nathan Kemp on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 06:30 am: Edit Post

Today is a good day....my book has just arrived from Amazon.co.uk!!!!! May the reading commence :-)

By Sleo on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 07:32 am: Edit Post

:-) It's a lovely day to spend in Athera, isn't it?

By David Cornelson on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

Dave finishes reading.

By Sleo on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:01 pm: Edit Post

Well? Come comment in the spoiler thread.

By Annette on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:29 pm: Edit Post

Perhaps we should start a new thread for those who want to say what they thought of the book once they read it. Might perk Janny up enough to give us the update for Destiny's Conflict when she gets back from Lucca.

Still no sign of the book in Australia. :-(

By Sleo on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 06:27 am: Edit Post

That's not a bad idea, although Dave already posted his thoughts. But I could post my review.

I've seen no sign of mine, either, in the US. :-( I want to see its delicious beauty.

By Trys on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:03 am: Edit Post

Sleo, it is likely a little early to see books from across the pond. I'm hoping by the end of the week and I'm REALLY hoping that Amazon will have the Kindle version tomorrow.

By Sleo on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 06:57 pm: Edit Post

It came today!!!!!!!!!!! And it's beautiful!!!!!

Anyone else in the US get theirs?

By Hunter on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 11:25 pm: Edit Post

My Kindle version just downloaded.. woohoo!!!

By Hunter on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:57 am: Edit Post

Arrrghhh... what's happened to the maps?? The Kindle version has three maps at the start - the first is the overall map of Paravia, the next two seem to be mis-mashes of different parts.. shows Rathain to the west of Shand for example.

By Annette on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:57 am: Edit Post

The individual maps are two pairs made up of four individual maps. You are looking at an open book with a different map on either side. Assuming kindle actually got it right. I have been a bit disappointed with the kindle maps when they bothered to include them, will stick with the kobo version this time.

By Devena Haggis on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:37 am: Edit Post

My copy came from the Book Depository to Japan in exactly one week.....so they are fairly good at dispatch...Yippeee :-)

By Trys on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 05:27 am: Edit Post

I got my Kindle version. The real book has not yet arrived but I live out in the hinterlands. :-)