Archive through November 02, 2011

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial: Initiate's Trial Status: Archive through November 02, 2011
   By Sarolta Csik on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 05:14 am: Edit Post

Reading the first chapter just made the waiting for the book more enjoyable (grinning all the time just thinking about it) End of October can't come soon enough.
Just to make sure: Janny, you will have copies of the book with you in Lucca? If everything goes well, than I will be there on the 30th. Hope to buy a new poster, too. The tree from the cover would be perfect for the space over my desk.

I think the kilt will stay whole ;) I can see Kerelie falling for him, but Arithon falling for her is quite a different question....

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:28 am: Edit Post

Sarolta Csik - welcome here!

Wow! coming to Lucca? This will be SO COOL, do let me know who you are! We will have a booth with a prominent banner (Don Maitz and Me). So far, I have a very LIMITED amount of books - not Initiate's Trial. That would be difficult to arrange as the 'on sale' date happens after I've left here for Italy. Best bet (so far) would be to get the book and bring it, I'll sign it for you.

We are putting together a shipment of books, prints and posters, coffee mugs, book marks and sundry stuff. Yes, we've run some of the tree from the cover, small size, and medium size. NOT a huge quantity.... but if they run out, they can also be ordered from here.

If anyone else is going to be at the Lucca Comics and Games Fair, let me know!

By Julie on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

Why would it be so awful for Arithon to "get together" with Kerelie? She is so far removed from the violence, intrigue, hatred that has marked most of Arithon's life. It could be a more simple innocent and healing relationship. Also at this point we do not know how long Arithon and Elaira had together before his imprisonment and her exile. In any event Arithon will outlive Keralie by at least a century.

By Annette on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 11:51 am: Edit Post

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, spoilers...

Actually we can work out from the clues in the first chapter the year Arithon was captured. And we know where he was at the beginning of the year.

By Clansman on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 12:19 pm: Edit Post

I didn't say it would be "awful" if Arithon and Kerelie got together. I merely said that I'd eat my kilt, because I don't think that it will happen.

One does not walk away from a love like that between Elaira and Arithon. Arithon remembered it even though he can't remember it (forgive the oxymoron, but that's pretty much what was said while he was imprisoned). Right now, Arithon doesn't even remember speech, as part of his protection from searchers. How long will that protection last? As soon as he starts regaining memory (assuming that he does), no woman will do for him except Elaira.

By Julie on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 02:09 pm: Edit Post

Didn't quite get your meaning- too much cold and cough medicine on board, which is why I did not even bother to do the math Annette! And you are right Elaira is his soul/life mate. Which does not mean he cannot find comfort elswhere- he has before. I am merely speculating that someone as lost as Arithon would find emotional and physical companionship healing. Also we already had one offspring acting as savior, who is to say we can't have 2?

By Walt on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 02:20 pm: Edit Post

Julie, your comment reminded me of one of the Sorcerer's complaints about Arithon's staunch celibacy (Dalwyn notwithstanding). I think it was Sethvir(?) who bemoaned the lack of by-blows from Arithon. This may be the chance for an illegitimate offspring if Arithon and Kerelie were to somehow have congress before his memory is completely restored. Would Arithon still be under the influence of Morriel/Seledie's malignant little seal that tried to ensure conception with Elaira? The seal was dissolved in Elaira by the Beidar, but I don't recall it being broken from Arithon...

By Julie on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 02:29 pm: Edit Post

Hi Walt

I cannot honestly remember if the seal remained after Arithon regained all of his powers- I would think his self awareness would pick up on that glitch in his aura.

By Annette on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 05:14 pm: Edit Post

Selidie/Morriels seal is long gone, never had a chance to snag Arithon. And Arithon had all his powers when the that problem was discovered.

From the comments about the bull in the first chapter, I do not see a child surviving to be born even if one got a chance to be started. The reasoning would be the same as for why Arithon did not want to father a child in the first place. Pay close attention to what the brothers say. And yes as soon as Arithon even gets a hint of a memory of Elaira, Kerelie will lose her chance. More likely the brothers will suspect who Arithon is before then, or just grow to frightened of the unknown and Arithon will find himself without a home again, or worse. But if something did happen before Arithon remembers Elaira, that would create more problems for Arithon and that over active conscience if he still has it.

By Annette on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:19 pm: Edit Post

And after one experience trying to train s'Ffalenn offspring, I doubt Selidie/Morriel would bother to try something like that again. She does not want any more s'Ffalenn's to be born.

By Julie on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:38 am: Edit Post

We'll see soon enough. This struggling family has never seen Light/Shadow warfare and I doubt they ever think about the Clans or protection from darkness. They had a heavy responsibility thrust upon them and are seemingly far removed from the political turmoil. Arithon has always been able to mix well with the "under class". Primarily because he is such a hard worker. I imagine he would move on once memories resurface to spare this family any trouble

By Dorothy on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 10:18 am: Edit Post

Spoilers

So, does Arithon's release mean that all the wraiths on Athera have now been Named and put to rest? Was M/Selidie keeping him imprisoned for further purposes and that was why his daughter freed him? I'm not sure about this at all. If the Biedar planned this far ahead, I wonder what else has been put in place by them. It is so exciting!
I am still rereading the series and have got as far as Grand Conspiracy. M/Selidie has ruined her hands which cannot be healed because of Morriel's possession of Selidie.I was wondering: Morriel's personal crystal with its longevity bindings was cleared;Selidie's didn't seem to have any longevity bindings ie I can't find any reference to them, so does that mean that S/Morriel would have to use unclean rituals to maintain her youth? Perhaps this is what Asandir is disgusted with.

By Dorothy on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 10:57 am: Edit Post

Ooops I've read the chapter again and my first 2 questions are answered.Are the wraiths on Rockfell still imprisoned?

By Paige Madison on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 04:29 pm: Edit Post

Dorothy, based on my reading of the text, the wraiths in Rockfell are still imprisoned. The free wraiths that Arithon dealt with were the ones that came to Athera as a result of the Fellowship's conjury to try and help Khardamon get back.

By David Cornelson on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:12 am: Edit Post

Just got an e-mail from Amazon that Initiate's Trial is delayed until January.

I am sad.

David C.

By Annette on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:47 am: Edit Post

The UK release is delayed? The American release was always going to be January. If you live in the USA you could always order it from the UK yourself, and get it long before January.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:00 pm: Edit Post

No. The UK release, to my knowledge, is NOT delayed.

From what I have heard directly from IPG, that distributes to the US - it takes three months to get the books over from London and into the US 'system' - I've been trying and trying to get accurate information on this; knowing the listings were this way and that way.

Editorial in London said one thing, and the system here said another.

But no word, anywhere, has said the London release is anything BUT Oct 27th. All my deadlines were met/everything was turned in on time - so there is no reason for rumors or panic.

Today, I asked about author copies...which, I should think, would be arriving at any time.

By Dorothy on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 02:00 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Paige.
Given a chance I will read the excerpts again if I can get my hands on my husband's laptop. Mine has took the huff and needs repairing so my access time is further limited than it was before.
I must also correct the book I was reading. It's Peril's Gate not Grand Conspiracy.
And the fact that there are still wraiths around explains the non appearance of the Paravians (I think)

By George on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 07:43 pm: Edit Post

Am I missing something? How do we know that the Koriani healer who allowed Arithon to free himself is his daughter?

George (de-lurking after 6 years!)

By Annette on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 08:57 pm: Edit Post

George did you read all of the first chapter, or just the main chapter, the daughter was discussed in the first sub chapter, titled Hard Reckoning.

By George on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 09:06 pm: Edit Post

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!

Duhhh! I just realised that there are tabs at the top of the excerpt page which link to other parts of the excerpt. All I read was the main chapter.

Thanks for the tip Annette.

George

By Annette on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 07:40 am: Edit Post

Initiate's Trial actually made front page news on the Voyager site.
http://www.voyagerbooks.com

Or in case it vanishes.
http://www.voyagerbooks.com/2011/10/27/initiates-trial-by-janny-wurts-27102011/# comments

Still no sign of it turning up in Australia yet though, bit disappointed it missed the release date.

By Sleo on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 08:01 am: Edit Post

Hey! That's fantastic! At least they're promoting it a little! Yahoo for Janny! And US!

By Sleo on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

I posted it on Facebook. There's a now defunct group there that needs to be revived. Anyone interested?

By Annette on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 10:50 am: Edit Post

Unfortunately Sleo a plague of starveling wraiths could not get me to join facebook.

The author tracker notice from Harper Collins Australia turned up earlier telling me Initiate's Trial is now available. The message turned up at 12.05am on the 2nd. Unfortunately none of the retailers down my way have received the book yet, so I am not getting my hopes up I am getting it later today. Maybe the 3rd of November is a chance.

By Trys on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 11:11 am: Edit Post

Angus & Robertson lists the pb and hc on their website (http://www.angusrobertson.com.au) but Dymocks does not.

By Clansman on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:29 pm: Edit Post

Hmmm. I think that I might like a bookstore named Angus & Robertson.

:-) ;) :-)

By Trys on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 01:50 pm: Edit Post

You mean you aren't co-owner? <g>

By Annette on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 04:35 pm: Edit Post

Well Fishpond now say it is in stock as well, have since yesterday, but still waiting for them to send me the book! It has not left the warehouse yet. If I had not already paid for it, I would order it from the UK, because it takes at least 6 days to get something sent from the mainland, and the Book Depository can have it sent from the UK in only a day or two more. Fishpond actually send it from the UK it seems, so I will probably be waiting a fair while to see my hardback version. Not being rich I have to wait now for one I have payed for to turn up. But I can go down and have the local one picked up in a few hours and not wait for our hopeless postal service, except the book has yet to arrive in Tasmania. The library system usually get books a few days earlier, and they are still waiting for their books as well.

Booktopia have it as well, because the little sods had to admit the trade paperback was coming out at the same time, in order to get the most for pre-orders they made out only the hard back($50.95) was going to be out this year, they never changed that till the last few days. Their stock is also sent from overseas, usually America.

If anyone had been co-owner of Angus & Robertson they would be weeping for the ruin of such a prestigious and profitable business, I would wait and see how the newly owned online business goes, they are hardly the same thing now as they used to be. Dymocks would probably not list the book till they actually know their supplier has it.

For anyone who actually has the book, how many pages did it end up having?

By Lisa on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:33 pm: Edit Post

Sadly it still isnt available in Sydney. Galaxy Bookshop has been expecting it 'any day now' for a week.

By Annette on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:57 pm: Edit Post

Ellison Hawker down in Hobart were also expecting it last week, since they usually get the books the week before the release date. Most publishers do like to be sure their books arrive before fans are expecting to buy them. In the UK suppliers had them early, aussies missed out. :-(

By Sleo on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 06:26 pm: Edit Post

554. It is shorter than some of the other books.

Do you live in Tasmania? Wow!

By Annette on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 07:45 pm: Edit Post

Yes Tasmania, along with the rest of the tassie devils. :-)

Curse of the Mistwraith was only a few pages longer, maybe it is the curse of introducing the characters and setting up the story that we get shorter books? If so I am hoping for a slightly bigger Destiny's Conflict, although I am not sure Janny is going to cram everything in there I was expecting.

By Sue on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 01:23 am: Edit Post

Hi all, I live in South Australia and my paperback copy of Initiate's Trial was despatched by the Book Depository on the 20th October. I received the book on the following Wednesday much to my excitement! Still reading it as I try to make it last as long as I possibly can (can't do the reading till the early hours that I used to be able to). I figure that with the years it takes to produce these books, I should try to control my urge to just hibernate and 'gobble it up' so to speak!

The only downer for me really was that the book turned up with a slight damage. In the packaging process the corner of the book was bent over. I was disappointed but on informing the Book Depository they offered to refund half of the cost of the book which I felt was reasonably fair. I have made numerous purchases from them and this is the first one that has arrived damaged. Never mind .... Worse things happen.

And needless to say, the book is everything I had hoped it to be. Absolutely terrific! :-)

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 10:45 pm: Edit Post

Yay! Just got my hardback :-)

Now just waiting for the trades to turn up for the store :/