Status Updates

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 5: Song of the Mysteries: Status Updates

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:53 pm: Edit Post

I have been reviewing the notes and the scraps of jotted scenes and putting them into chronological order/setting up the time line spread sheet and generally ordering the layout of the scenes.

This involves the tricky bit of starting to ORDER the play of the suspense, and it requires NO backsteps in time, which demands a lot of logistical work and what goes before what kind of decisions. The main structure of the book - I know where it is going - it's the actual laying the pieces into place, like masonry - the bricks have to go in the right order.

Officially, I began the first page of the draft. Tinkering with the opening scenes.

Note: this office is also being cleared for a DRASTICALLY needed renovation, and my whole universe is in here, so the dismantling, re-do, and rebuild will be happening around my work day craziness. Don and I have talked about this for years, (Lord knows, we ought have done it at the same time we built the studio, but - priorities prevailed and my work space was in such heavy use, finishing Empire, the window was lost) I'm happy we are getting to it at Last, and it will have to be finished off Quickly as Possible due to the upheaval factor - I can't put my life on hold. Read: I have the jitters. And the cats will be furious at having all their sleeping nooks moved.

The website is also slated for an overhaul.

So here we go/but bear with the construction.

By Clansman on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:16 pm: Edit Post

Allow me to be the first to post in this, the ultimate status thread for the Wars of Light and Shadow.

Janny, it's been a wonderful journey so far, and thanks for sharing your stories with us. I look forward to seeing where it ends up! Though, it won't really end, will it?

The Road Goes Ever On, after all.

Angus.

By Auna on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:41 am: Edit Post

Wow, a lot going on there. Just take it one day at a time. And maybe practice breathing exercises to manage all the stress. Perhaps some catnip to appease the irate felines is also in order!

A friend of mine inspired me to write after I helped him edit his first book and I've come to appreciate just how crazy it can be to construct a standalone novel. I feel like I'm the story board editor, scriptwriter, camera director, editor, and producer dealing with recalcitrant actors all in one. I don't even want to think about writing something as intertwined as this series is. But that is what makes it super special.

So excited to see this threat starting after looking at its locked up status for so long. Woot!

I desperately want to read the end but it won't really be the end unless the entire world gets destroyed because the survivors will continue on with their own stories to tell. The real question is will I hurl my Kindle across the room or melt into a weepy/sappy puddle of goo! Or maybe a bit of both.... hmm....

By Melanie Trumbull on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:30 pm: Edit Post

It is inspiring to read that the work with Athera continues regardless of Hurricane Irma. Somebody must be watching out for our Talespinner.

By Annette on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:03 am: Edit Post

After all the excitement of Destiny's Conflict, any chance of an update Janny?

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:00 am: Edit Post

Today: having just completed a cross check (and having received word from my most trusted test reader) that my memory was exact, (it was) regarding the mentions of Davien's black and silver mantle/cloak - where and when it changed hands in the direct text, and where I left the last clue to its whereabouts - I am proceeding to connect the dots and open a scene where I NEED TO KNOW precisely where each and every character and faction is/what they are now doing/how they have spent the interval between the closing scenes of Destiny's Conflict and precisely where they are and what they are doing (all of them) since the OPENING scenes (several) of Song of the Mysteries, which are written/still being adjusted for careful progression and characterization so the reader will see stuff they haven't, before.

And about which I can say :X at the risk of spoiling not one, but two books.

I am also listening to narrators; and starting to write character descriptions/story overviews/listening to narrators/setting up to record pronunciation guides - since there's to be an audio edition of Destiny's Conflict, and so far, only that book - so SOMEHOW I have to create material for the narrator so that they won't be at a loss about what they'll be dramatizing.

And lastly: I need to winnow through reviews and find the BEST ONES that give overviews of the entire series (without spoilers) to assist the sales dept. to know what they are selling.

If anybody has a favorite review that encapsulates what this story IS, and wants to drop me a link, that would be just fantastic and helpful. Getting the marketing correctly targeted can make a very big difference.

By Annette on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:14 am: Edit Post

Thanks Janny for the update. Now you know, I hoping for a book as big as Peril's Gate. :-)

They are sure they are doing an audio book this time? I remember for Initiate's Trial at first it looked like we might get one, if you look on the back of the hardback and trade paperback, audio book is shown, along with the ebook, yet nothing ever came of it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: