Archive through November 20, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Wars of Light and Shadow Contest: Paravian Language Translation: Archive through November 20, 2006
   By Konran on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:16 pm: Edit Post

Wah, curse you, I'm supposed to be writing. <.<>.> ... *pulls out her Paravian glossaries instead*

By Jude on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:24 pm: Edit Post

yeah, me too.

on top of which I'm missing some Paravian volumes and may have to go digging about in the basement

By Jude on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:43 pm: Edit Post

ok. I'm going to be brave and have a first bash. Apologies if I throw anyone off.

Nai ffiosh e'elen sliet-th'i, my wild falcon!

>> We have little choice over whom we love, my wild falcon.
(or)
>> We can't choose who we fall in love with, my wild falcon.

Breakdown:
- Nai - ?
- ffiosh - fionne "choice"? "one who brings choice"?
- e'elen - "small short one", or "little"?
- slieth - lie "harmony", lien "to love"
- th'i - ?

Ath iel i'cuelan allesstairient, Teir's'Ffalenn.

>> The first to _____ is the most stubborn, Tier s'Fallen.
(or perhaps)
>> The force of light/the supreme force (of the) ____ (one) is stubborn-most, Tier s'Fallen.

Breakdown:
- ath - "first", "prime", or "supreme force"
- iel - "light" or "to make"
- i'cuelan - root cuel or cu, meaning ???
- allestair - "stubborn"
- ient - "most"

I'll keep working on it. :-)

By Konran on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 07:19 pm: Edit Post

Okay, have to run to work soon, a quick runthrough of my glossaries produces this so far:

Nai ffiosh e'elen sliet-th'i, my wild falcon!

Something something e = small, elen = ? el = short... small short perhaps... i'en being "you"... small short one with the connotation being the one who is spoken to... is it e'elen, or e'el'en? that would help. sliet-th'i... no direct translations, will come back to this when I have more time to think about it... The speaker (I'm assuming Davien to Arithon since he's calling him "my wild falcon") is clearly joking around here, based on "sliet-th'i". jierlieth = to be stubborn enough to cause pain or worry, thorn of worry, jieret = thorn... liet(h) = worry?

Something something small/short worry (joking around)...

Ath iel i'cuelan allesstairient, Teir's'Ffalenn.

Ath's light (the first light?)... (statement of self)+(something) the most stubborn, Teir's'Ffalenn. i'cuelan, or i'cuel'an?

Curses, I wish I didn't have to go to work. I want to follow up on this some more.

By Hunter on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:09 pm: Edit Post

OT - I'm sure Davien has had many occupations in his time, but Relationship/Marriage Counsellor might be a new one!