Destiny's Conflict, second sneak preview

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Destiny's Conflict, second sneak preview

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:48 am: Edit Post

*wonders what the Ilitharis paravians used for footnotes (hoofnotes?!), then ducks a potentially deadly strike from the Tale-Spinner's ink bottle and beats a hasty retreat*

By Julie on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 01:02 pm: Edit Post

Nice cross over Mark!

Janny- do you mind the meanderings?- gives you a glimpse of your fans and we seem to get back on track. Although I understand the distraction is not to everyone's taste, were your characters viewing us through the lens of these postings, I don't think they would mind so much.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 04:55 pm: Edit Post

I don't mind meanderings, personally, though for a reader using this chat for a resource (some do) the digressions take away from info they may be looking for.

Digressions are lovely - good rule of thumb, if they spark a spontaneous conversation, move to the Misc thread and fire away.

I only weighed in here because a reader did. Spontaneity is to be valued, and mostly, I'd let it go. Since I monitor the book-related threads pretty closely (to field fan questions IF they are directed to me personally, and also, to check for trolls) - this discussion was different than many in that, most of us (me included) had no idea what y'all were talking about. :-)

By Dorothy on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:29 pm: Edit Post

I was just in awe of how much work they were doing as well as running a family! lol

By Dina on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:58 pm: Edit Post

Oh, we were talking about that Chapter where Arithon and Dakar were sent to the arcane Library of Knowledge and got bogged down in the footnotes until Dakar burned it all down in a fit of prescience. Arithon was able to get them out using the Law of Major Balance and the World Wide Web.

I jest. :-)

By Robert A Smith on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 01:00 am: Edit Post

Just wanted to say that I just finished Trial and decided to start the whole thing over again. Been 10 years plus since I read Curse really enjoying and noticing foreshadowing of later events.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 09:18 am: Edit Post

Dina: snort! :-)

Robert A. Smith - welcome here - I think? This your first post? Yes. Absolutely. These books were made for re-reads, you will see a whole different contour to the conflicts from that perspective; and you still won't see it all.

By Julie on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 12:51 pm: Edit Post

Janny- may you NEVER have to experience the worst part of academic writing. We were talking about the different formatting styles and adding references to the main text as well as the post text reference list. The various disciplines use styles specific to them, i.e social work, psych, nursing use APA (American Psychological association). AND the rules are tweaked every couple of years. Its a nightmare.

Next time we will try and remember to switch to Misc. thread.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 01:05 pm: Edit Post

Heh - Julie - well. Just as I was regretting not choosing a career in wildlife biology (the damned scant pay is better!!!)

By Julie on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 08:34 pm: Edit Post

You may have avoided that morass if you chose wildlife biology back in the day. But then again we may not have had the joy of Paravia, or the view we are shown may have been very different.

By Auna on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 06:14 am: Edit Post

I grew to hate writing because of the strict formats and confusion involved. I envy all who avoided that pain. I also had a few teachers who felt creative writing wasn't valid... pff I say to them!

Oh and to get back on topic, I reread all the books in the series every time a new one is about to be released because there is just so much I forget ... and rereading this series always wriggles a bit more info out of it that I didn't realize before. It's truly amazing how that happens. So while I'm begging and pleading for this book to get out, the other part of me is grateful for the very hard work Janny puts into it to make it complex enough to stand up to multiple rereads.

By Julie on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 12:49 pm: Edit Post

Well said Auna

By Dina on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 02:10 pm: Edit Post

I agree with Julie, well said, Auna. I usually end up buying books and movies that I've reread/reseen multiple times because I will continue to do so.

War of Light and Shadow is one of those series (especially Ships of Merior, the complete volume). I feel like I've learned different things from Arithon and Lysaer at various points in my life depending what kind of a person my experiences made me and what kind of a person Arithon and Lysaer's experiences made them. I have many favorite characters, but I would say these two are some of the most "alive" and "well fleshed" I have ever encountered.

By Julie on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:02 am: Edit Post

Dina:

I am always pleased to be able to relate to a character, or learn from them- what a nice alternative to textbooks! Wish I had Arithon and Lysaer's ease of language- they always seem to know what to say!
I did have an experience though which reminded me of Arithon's last test in Kewar. It was during a sound meditation when the all the gongs were in use at once- to my ear it was chaotic, but the vibrations were ordered- I think I understood what Arithon had to do by picking out the one thread of melody. At least that came to mind and being mindful I allowed that thought without judgement!

By David Cornelson on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 03:01 pm: Edit Post

Hey Janny,

How about an update?

David

By Janny Wurts on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 03:24 pm: Edit Post

I am working on 11 set.

By David Cornelson on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

I may be the only one that doesn't understand, and I know your hair is on fire (scaring the birds outside), but what does "11 set" mean?

I assume it means chapter 11 of n where you're not really sure what "n" is. Is that right?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 03:30 pm: Edit Post

The chapters in the series run in 'sets' - one main body of action, followed by two titled shorter ones, finished out by three one line flash views.

11 set means, Chapter Set Eleven.

By Julie on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:27 am: Edit Post

And n= ?

By Neil on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 02:03 pm: Edit Post

protectorate...this is a clue...about the balance of power in that region at that time?

By Annette on Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 04:03 pm: Edit Post

For anyone wondering what Neil was referring to, way back on the first page of the thread I asked Janny about the notes she had written on some artwork showing Shand's past and present heraldic devices. West Shand was a drakish protectorate during the second age.

https://www.facebook.com/JannyWurts/photos/pb.260538524057641.-2207520000.145660 6144./431683990276426/?type=3&theater

http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/show.cgi?tpc=2878&post=42172#POST42172

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: