Archive through May 13, 2014

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Status Updates: Archive through May 13, 2014
   By Katrina on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

"Walt - you needed a spew alert on that one! I do NOT need to coffee sprinkle my lovely new keyboard RIGHT NOW."

I agree with that and amend a happy note: my keyboard is washable for just such an occasion. Spilled my drink. Lol

By Walt on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:38 pm: Edit Post

*evil grin* Can I help it if I like to channel Dakar from time to time?

By HJ on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:15 pm: Edit Post

Oh my giddy aunt. It is such a struggle to wait for the next instalment. I am right at the end of Stormed Fortress and looking forward to (only) my second read of Initiate's Trial... so plenty to keep me going at my current reading rate of a few pages per night. Even so, every day brings us a day closer to the next book. Bring it on!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:39 am: Edit Post

Personally, I think Sleo captured it best. ;-)

By Sleo on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

LOL. :D

By Joy on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:45 pm: Edit Post

So exciting to see another little glimplse into the next book, Janny.
Thanks so much for persevering and continuing to graft so hard to keep the quality and integrity of WoLaS so high in the stratosphere. The series stands well above its closest contemporaries and it's a mystery to me that it is not more widely recognised for the wondrous delight that it is. I used to love being in the minority - someone "in the know" about just how good these books are.
I no longer feel that way.
Instead of being ahead of the curve, I feel that the wider audience missed the correct turn!! I'm so annoyed that you don't have a HUGE fan base by now. So, rather than simply feel priviliged at having membership to a private club, I'm going to make a better effort to advertise membership!
Master craftsmen (and women!) deserve recognition for bringing such beauty into the world... and it's a crying shame so many are missing out. Let's all do a little more to share the magic :-)

By Julie on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:17 pm: Edit Post

Janny:

I was watching the video of Pete Seeger's last public performance this past September. His voice got stronger as he sang and encouraged 25,000 people to come together through song, and I thought did you happen to model that character after Pete?

By Julie on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:29 pm: Edit Post

Sorry left out key name- Halliron!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:54 pm: Edit Post

Hi Julie, interesting question. I did not model Hallron after Pete Seeger - fine musician that he is! I have been privileged to have studied music under several masters - both of whom taught into advanced age (one still current) and their store of knowledge and love of music - transcendent, huge. May as well have Been someone like Pete Seeger - who has devoted their lives to bringing the best out in coming generations as well as being top notch stars in their own right.

Joy - thank you!!!!!!!!!

By Annette on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:42 am: Edit Post

I have a question for Janny, just a yes or no would do if possible, if not I can wait and work it out when reading the next book. Unless it is the previous day of defeat when Selidie got her claws on Arithon, you seem to be up to the bit in question. After reading Destiny's Conflict, would we get a different insight into Arithon's reactions on the Briane in CotM? Specifically Arithon's reaction to the healer.

I am so suspicious these days I seem to suffer double vision when reading some passages. And the imagination is always working over time as I wonder what else was there. Despite the obvious explanation, still I was always suspicious of everything Arithon said while on that ship.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:09 pm: Edit Post

Hi Annette - you asked.

The scene is not a flashback, but 'realtime' in the story line - it would only be considered 'flashback' if you viewed it in context of the prologue, which was a future reference. The scene was always planned for/been part of the storyline almost since inception.

SPOILER FOR VOL I - though if any viewers are in this section having not read the books, you're spoilerific swampland, hip deep, anyway....

The scene on Briane is self-complete. Arithon was trying to buy a quick death rather than be trapped as scapegoat/political game piece in the hands of Karthan's king. His words to the shipboard healer were a desperate attempt to force the man to lose his temper enough to kill out of hand.

By Julie on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 01:38 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny:
Thank you for your quick response and for sharing a bit about your transformative musical education. I was raised on Pete's music and was privaledged to see him numerous times in both intimate local community gatherings as well as large venues since the 1960's. Like Halliron he used music with such positive effects and it was magical being part of the audience. So, that is why I asked!!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:50 pm: Edit Post

Julie - oh, yes, Seeger numbered among the greats....I know he performed and stood up for causes - don't know how he taught or if he passed on knowledge to develop other talent - whether he brought along and formed the next generation of musicians, or how he did it.

There are performers who have the gift and excel and performers who are also gifted teachers - who can also pass along and develop new talent.

And there are genius performers who cannot teach at all.

The musicians I learn(ed) from could do both, and excelled at it - at the latter stages of their lives, there is a living legacy, still ongoing.

By Annette on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 02:55 am: Edit Post

Thanks Janny, for the clarification about the snippet and my answer. I did know about Arithon's intent back on the Briane, but thought there might something else behind the words.

And I would have expected Asandir to be very busy trying to salvage things with the past plot, rather than sitting around resigned. But you can never be sure with this story.

By Annette on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 02:27 am: Edit Post

Hopefully the words are flowing faster now Janny is up to the bits she must have been thinking about at least occasionally over all those decades of spending time in Athera. But back to the original update idea, what chapter are you up to at the moment Janny?

Any idea yet of how many chapters there will be?

By Daryl on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 06:58 pm: Edit Post

Just dropping in to say keep up the good work :-)

Back to lurking mode... ...

By Janny Wurts on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:17 am: Edit Post

Page 600, and this IS tipping point. Climactic rush, hang on, there will be NO brakes from this moment forward.

By Gill on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:45 pm: Edit Post

Brilliant Janny. Can't wait. You have made my day.

Cheers

By Annette on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:19 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the update Janny.

By Paige Madison on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 08:25 pm: Edit Post

Woohoo!

By Angie on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 01:33 pm: Edit Post

Yay! +1 smile for the day

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:57 pm: Edit Post

Besides cracking plaster and glass with a yell of pure delight over the stupendous (and now made public) narrators assigned for Sorcerer's Legacy's audio book (Emily Gray!!!) and Master of Whitestorm (Simon Prebble!!!) releasing on May 27th this year,

I ALSO completed another sub chapter for Destiny's Conflict. YESSSSS!!!

By Annette on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 05:15 am: Edit Post

Nice to see things moving along. I do not suppose you could say which chapter you are currently writing?

By Ypso on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

Congrats on the next sub chapter! I can only imagine what it must be like getting everything in the right place now. The finale and the path leading up to it often seems the be one of the trickiest parts in a book or book series, so this is good to hear.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:00 am: Edit Post

*peeks in, leaves pint as incentive for Talespinner, then peeks out again*

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 09:30 pm: Edit Post

*Slips back in, replaces by-now questionable pint with a fresh, cold one, then slips back out*

By Julie on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 06:12 pm: Edit Post

Pretty quiet here. Perhaps a new snippet would stimulate the conversation??

By Janny Wurts on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:38 am: Edit Post

Well, Julie - or anyone - if a preview were forthcoming, which character?

By Julie on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:11 am: Edit Post

Thank you Janny- how about Daliana?

By Clansman on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:54 am: Edit Post

Yes, I agree, Daliana! Been too long since we heard from her.

By Annette on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 11:06 am: Edit Post

I am not fussed, but Daliana sounds good to me.

By Judy on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 04:10 pm: Edit Post

I'll stay in the D's but go for Davien

By Auna on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:06 pm: Edit Post

Ooo Davien! Though, any of the Fellowship works for me :-)

By Ypso on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:48 am: Edit Post

Personally, I would love to see what the three clan youngsters are up to right now, especially the one who got pitched by Isfarenn 2.0!

By Julie on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 12:01 pm: Edit Post

Daliana's story line has so many potential twists- such as how does the choice of Tysan's Caithdien fit in? Will these two distant cousins finally reweave that family tear? Or at the very least forge some alliance.
How does she and Lysaer figure in the Hatchet's campaigns?
Will she ever meet Elaira? something Dakar felt would be equivalent to Davien and Arithon?

We can assume the clan kids got back to Rathain- at least the 2 with Tarens. The third was resourceful enough. I did not get too much hostility from the Cathdien's words when he spoke to Tarens in the snippets already posted.