Archive through March 12, 2015

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Destiny's Conflict, second sneak preview: Archive through March 12, 2015
   By Annette on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 01:39 am: Edit Post

I have a lousy memory, and am an even worse note taker, which is why all that re-reading was necessary. But the over active imagination makes re-reading fun, even if I hardly ever shoot off in the right direction. Although I have all three books with the short stories in them, I will snap up the Child of Prophecy ebook soon as Janny puts it up. For the new cover alone it is worth it.

There were always some words in the short stories I would love, to have a glossary type interpretation for, Tawbas being one of them.

By Gill on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 05:47 am: Edit Post

Janny could you publish your short stories in a little anthology? Or do you not have enough to make it worthwhile? We folk not in the US have problems buying things in foreign currencies - at least I am a scaredy cat when it comes to using my card on monies I do not understand.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

Gill, the instant there's a strong enough readership that loves these books....I have created quite a lot of incredible of material, once there is a base of support for it.

By Gill on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 09:28 am: Edit Post

The rest of the world of readers must be rather silly or just illiterate if they do not love your books. My daughter and I relish them and anything you write.

By Auna on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 03:13 pm: Edit Post

I wouldn't say readers are silly or illiterate. Rather, they just don't want to put in the amount of effort required to understand what is going on in this story due to all the multiple threads and nuances in it.

Also, the main point of view character sometimes leaps to conclusions that I as the reader need to work at figuring out. Even after rereading the series several times there are still places where I don't get it and I may never get it unless I post here begging for clarification. Not every reader is going to find that enjoyable.

I find it fun because it means I can reread the story and pick up on something I missed but how many readers reread a 10+ book series?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 08:58 am: Edit Post

I've encountered reader requests for recommendations for this sort of complexity from time to time - often their posts receive responses that are just the going popular thing, not necessarily what would fit best. They just have to find this series, or encounter word of it, and that takes presence.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 01:03 am: Edit Post

The Solaris Book of Fantasy and Under Cover of Darkness arrived today...'scuze me while I disappear for a while... ;-)

*Hopes that mild hijacking of thread with peripheral stories is tolerable in the interim while we wait for Destiny's Conflict*

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 01:19 pm: Edit Post

The stories tie right into the series, and definitely add a dimension to the later books/provide deeper insight into the backgrounds, so hijack away.

By Tracey Wilson on Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 12:56 pm: Edit Post

I just got the Solaris! Have Child of Prophecy and Sundering Star coming but have to wait for them to come from the US - I think someone is rowing it over, or possibly swimming whilst holding the book in mouth......anyhoo it's at least another 3 weeks until they get here........are there any others I should look out for? Tx

By Blue on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:14 am: Edit Post

ACK!! I just checked the dates on these entries. PLEASE tell me I have NOT missed the release of the LATEST of the Wars of Light and Shadow saga!!

Again, apologies for taking so very long to post, once again.

By Judy on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 08:58 am: Edit Post

No, you haven't missed it. There's a "status update" thread in this group that has the details. We're all waiting, with varying degrees of patience, and trying not to jostle Janny's elbow too much. It's needed for typing, you see :-)

By Clansman on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:11 am: Edit Post

BLUE! It's been way too long! Great to see you post.

Now we just need to hear from Purple Penny...

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:20 am: Edit Post

*Grins and nudges Clanny in the ribs*

Speaking of way too long...

By Clansman on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:47 am: Edit Post

Yeah, I know. I resemble that remark.

Full-time lawyer, full-time husband and father, and now a part-time Master of Laws student until mid-2016. Two more courses and a 75-page Paper to go.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:31 am: Edit Post

Finishing the Masters once the family is underway is a bear. I thankfully completed mine shortly after my elder daughter was born. Hang in there, chief!

*Notes the Gryphon's increased attention and hastily returns to topic!*

Since you're too far along to let another snippet drop without reveal, oh mighty Tale-spinner, how about something less exposing, like teasing us with more hints about the cover art?

(Yes, I know, give me an inch...)

By Annette on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 03:21 pm: Edit Post

Janny, will Arithon in what seems his new royal attire be making a stormy centerpiece on the cover?

Or will we have to wait for a custom made cover to get a good look at that bit of artwork?

Even just a good look at the symbol Arithon is wearing instead of Rathain's leopard would do, might get some discussion out of trying to work out what it represents. Although that might not be too hard once we get a look at it.

By Julie on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:58 pm: Edit Post

Clansman- an anticipatory well done to you although the completion date seems far off. I completed a Masters of Nursing while full time hospital nurse, wife, mother, grandmother.
The Wars of Light and Shadow were my escape valve!

By Clansman on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:40 pm: Edit Post

Thankee, Julie! I finish the course work in June this year(err, July, 'cause there'll be a 25 page paper due a month after the course is finished), and my thesis work should be done by summer 2016.

I had forgotten how truly awful it was to write academic papers. gaaah.

By Julie on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:38 pm: Edit Post

Its the formatting and particular style for references that nearly killed me. I had been out of school for a long time, so in addition to the course work, I had to learn to do research on the web and use Word!

By Auna on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:26 pm: Edit Post

MLA format can die in a fire! And whoever came up with footnotes during the typewriter age was just a poorly disguised sadist.

By Clansman on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 04:41 am: Edit Post

Don't know what MLA is, but my 'bible' is the McGill Guide to Legal Citation. For the last 20 years, I've only cited cases. Now, journals, web articles, blogs, gaaah.

By Julie on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:05 pm: Edit Post

I had to use APA- it can join the bonfire!
My bible was the Perdue OWL (online writing lab)

By Dina on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:14 pm: Edit Post

Chicago Manual of Style, too! I had MLA down from high school, and I was so upset at having to learn something minutely different for Grad School. The rules kept whirling around in my head. This after 4 years of Design School where grammar and academia were as fluid and subjective as any of the other visual arts.

By Julie on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:36 pm: Edit Post

References often took longer than writing the paper

By Clansman on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

Tell me about it! I just finished a course paper yesterday, and doing the footnotes and then checking them for accuracy took a painfully long time.

Two more courses to go (50 pages of writing), and then the biggie: the Major Research Paper (a.k.a. Master's thesis).

By Julie on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:44 pm: Edit Post

Are any of the remaining courses connected with your thesis project- or do you start from scratch?

I enjoyed doing the research- meandering around the internet--what a difference from spending hours in a library to find minimal references and actual texts. Still being surrounded by books...

By Auna on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:09 pm: Edit Post

Writing is easy, references are a complete nightmare. I believe I actually dropped a reference and rewrote a section so I didn't have to figure out how to put in something that didn't match any known examples and risk getting points taken off. LOL.

Oh Julie, isn't the internet wonderful :-) Back in my day we had card catalogs... eww...

By Julie on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 01:23 pm: Edit Post

Auna- the internet is wonderful. However it was so easy to follow different strains of inquiry that I spent hours drifting far from the actual subject matter. My fault entirely for being curious. This was part of my learning curve- how to pick out the appropriate "hits".
I too was raised with card catalogues- if there was as much (relative) junk in those long file drawers as there is on the web, it was more easily ignored.

I have also rewritten passages to avoid the references! What is MLA used for? I remember my kids using it for college English (I think)

By Dina on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

MLA for Literary analysis papers. We used it a lot in high school, but I didn't see it much in college.

In grad school, I was doing research on a decedent from the 1796 or something, and I hit a blank wall using "paper trail" resources available (and there were many). On a whim, I decided to Google him, and I found so many interesting things about him.

By Julie on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 04:45 pm: Edit Post

Were the references reliable- such as scanned original documents, family archives?

By Auna on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:41 am: Edit Post

Back when I was a kid my mom had the entire Encyclopedia Britannica collection that I would start off using for my paper references, then I'd wind up hours later sidetracked several times removed from what I originally started with.

I think MLA is the most common torture device they introduce you to in high school for papers. I recall my college accepting either MLA or something else, and research papers in grad school I mostly did lab work so dodged the endnote bullet there.

By Dina on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:32 am: Edit Post

Julie - absolutely! Many of them were scanned books out of print or original documents, and I really learned something about the value of digitizing historic documents with this experience. It makes them more readily accessible to researchers while also making sure that the original was protected.

By Julie on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:31 pm: Edit Post

Dina- Archival research and the benefits to scanning for preservation and accessibility came up in a book I read a few months ago. The Physick of Deliverance Dane- I am assuming you are an historian?, you may enjoy it.

Auna- Apparently I should be glad I went to high school and college prior to MLA!

By Tracey Wilson on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 01:59 pm: Edit Post

Hi guys, I don't mean to be rude but you have gone WAY off topic here - can we get back to JANNY please? Perhaps you could open a separate thread to discuss your studies?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:43 pm: Edit Post

We have a miscellaneous section to accommodate drift topics. :-)