Archive through March 31, 2015

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Status Updates: Archive through March 31, 2015
   By Annette on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:34 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Janny, was not sure if you were close enough to the end to know yet.

I would not mind it taking a few more than expected, more story for us to read. :-)

By Auna on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

Janny, I'd happily read more standalones AFTER this series is done though ;)

It's a relief to see an experienced writer wrestling with such issues as scene placement and POV. I ran into that recently while trying to write my own book. I feel like the cameraman, producer, writer, and editor all at the same time.

I have complete confidence in your wowing ability (no pressure!).

By Gill on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:02 am: Edit Post

Thanks Janny. Reading your account of the difficulties you meet whilst writing makes the outcome all the more important and worthwhile waiting for.

Cheers

By Brian Uri! on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 06:02 am: Edit Post

I now hope that the entire Arc V: Song of the Mysteries will focus on every character sharing berth on a boat, perhaps with some lyranthe chanties thrown in and Seshkrozchiel in the hold.

By Auna on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:54 am: Edit Post

Ooh, a dreaming dragon in tight cramped quarters on a wooden boat... sounds very adrenaline pumping!

By Julie on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 12:01 pm: Edit Post

I spend so little time at the key board and our cats prefer sunny patches near the windows that I have avoided spilling beverages!
The steaming hair, I can imagine.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:32 pm: Edit Post

You want a finished book, I had better BE at that keyboard.... ;) And my cats: have to mess with whatever I am doing, then crash to sleep as near as possible. Sunny patches only on cold days, and this is Florida.

By Julie on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 12:03 pm: Edit Post

Poor kitties, and your fault for creating such hungry fans!

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 01:25 pm: Edit Post

Putting finishing touches for test read, this chapter bit. Wow factor better play hardball....

By Julie on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:34 pm: Edit Post

I volunteer as a reader, and I am very good at keeping confidences

By Annette on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:58 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Janny- Putting finishing touches for test read, this chapter bit. Wow factor better play hardball....

I am picturing Don slumped in the chair with scattered manuscript pages floating down and Janny fanning him saying, "it was too much maybe?"

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 12:56 am: Edit Post

*So as not to cause already smoldering hair to ignite, holds up a sign*

*Go Tale-spinner, go* ;-)

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:02 pm: Edit Post

OK, everyone else must be in a deep freeze. With 20-below wind chills here, am wondering if this how cold Braggen felt whilst transporting Arithon's slumbering self across Daon Ramon Barrens. ;-)

Here's hoping that your cats also left you Valentine's Day presents, Madam Tale-Spinner, and that your fingers fly ever faster and confidently across the keys...

By Annette on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:16 am: Edit Post

Nice and warm here, waiting to see if we find out how the test read went.

By Judy on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:08 pm: Edit Post

High of 20 (░F) here today with snow falling (5 to 8 inches forecast). This is the kind of winter that makes me think of a return to Orlando

By Auna on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:36 pm: Edit Post

50 and sunny in Seattle. Yep, I did say sunny! Haven't seen a lick of snow since a surprising November light dusting.

Here's hoping the first draft is done SOON.

By Daryl on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:30 am: Edit Post

I thought I had better come out of lurking mode to say .. Keep up the great work Janny!

And now I am also looking forward to some stand-a-lone novels after this is all finished (ahem, no pressure :-)). To Ride Hell's Chasm is one of my favourites.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:23 pm: Edit Post

This subchapter is now well and truly rolling. That's another step closer, yay, and yes, Daryl, I am REALLY looking forward to more standalones!

The constant pressure of fitting a multi-layered epic into no wasted steps and the imperative to raise tension and conflict with each volume - steam is coming out my ears.

A cannonball run on a smaller stage - akin to another Hell's Chasm - will feel like a vacation. I have something like fourteen ideas backed up the pipe, waiting for this monster to get finished.

Back at it...

By Neil on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 04:27 pm: Edit Post

Go Janny!

Look on the bright side...what on Athera will it feel like when you finish...? Hard for a non-author - who has not been writing WoLaS for the last 20+ years - to imagine the satisfaction of you seeing the last book as an ARC?

Now the internet is here (it wasn't widespread when curse of the mistwraith came out?) I wonder whether war of light and shadows breaks up into smaller pieces or different segments although I suppose you have been writing a story that has to print out as books...and each one (kind of) stand alone...and now the series could fit into one e-reader file.

I had a question: Do leopards live on Athera? I cannot recall having seen a live one on the page (I could be wrong? Probably am... )

By Annette on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:30 pm: Edit Post

Lysaer saw a leopard in the hostel he visited in Warhost of Vastmark, Arithon once followed ones tracks and even tried to share a den with one in Perils Gate, but she fled, and if Rathain's royal lineage is facing extinction, the northern leopard that is their house symbol still seem to be thriving, if elusive. Bit like Arithon himself.

Now real live lions we have yet to see, despite their likeness being widespread and being referred to in all sorts of ways. Could Janny say if lions still hide out on Athera some where, hiding in Athwood maybe.

By Auna on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 10:05 pm: Edit Post

Don't explode Janny! I bet finishing will be a huge relief coupled with a bit of wistful nostalgia that may eventually give us more stories about Athera sometime after the highs and lows wear off. I mean with that much complexity, I'm sure we'll all have favorite side stories just begging to be told around the virtual campfire.

Fun to hear about 14 ideas... maybe one can be another Sorcerer's Legacy? That's my personal fave, probably because of the romance angle though Hell's Chasm was fun as well.

By Ben Crofts on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 06:11 pm: Edit Post

First post in years. Not that I've forgotten about the series, I'm merely stockpiling it! About 2-3 years back noticed I was forgetting story plots because the last book was 2-3 years back, so started waiting until I had the lot to work my way through!

Do really appreciate the updates from Janny. So many fantasy series seem to end up with the author and books disappearing for years on end and no communication.

By Maria ┼borg Lagerstrand on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 03:16 pm: Edit Post

I would certainly like a few standalones from Janny after WoLaS is finished. But what┤s wrong with the traditional trilogy? I usually feel that a book is too short and I want to know more about the people in it if it ends at, say 500 pages.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:41 pm: Edit Post

Just hammering out the finish of another chapter set. Then FINALE TIME - that odd place in a novel, where it could wrap in 50 more pages BAM! or it could require 3 more chapter sets. Won't know until I get there. (The finishing length depends on how many stages it takes to reach impact point. Initiate's trial was one of those that slammed home quite fast....Stormed Fortress required more space to finish out.) The convergency is present, the danger and tension all set up - it's running down the final action and denouement.

Dare I say this book has been A BEAR!!!! So many levels in play at once. Every time I think I have a scene wrapped, I sleep on it, and another little thread bit pops up to be tied in, then another and another and another - salting them in until everything's cranked tight as I can. And this book also has a lot of scenes that DO NOT fit into this reality - (as did Initiate's Trial) the words we have are just not designed to 'go there' so it takes a whole bucketload of hours to refine the delivery so that it's a clearcut experience for the reader.

Man, I will need about ten champagnes when this draft is knocked off. (Right about now it feels like the book that wouldn't die!)

By Annette on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

I am hoping it needs a bit more space to fill out. :-)

More to read, more perspectives, more suspense before you let us off the hook.

By Dorothy on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:36 pm: Edit Post

Pity you don't have Marks and Spencer, Janny. 50%off champagne at the moment!

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:36 pm: Edit Post

Who's this Spencer guy anyway, and why's he discounting my champagne? ;-)

*In the hope (as if!) they'll prove helpful, offers Janny Dumbledore's word contribution from the first Potter book:

"Nitwit!
Blubber!
Oddment!
Tweak!
Thank you."

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:58 am: Edit Post

OK, troops, there is a three sentence snip posted up in the thread asking authors for the latest lines in their work in progress at r/fantasy at reddit....you don't need to be a member of the forum to read it, only to comment or upvote - have fun!

By Neil on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 04:37 pm: Edit Post

well well well...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/3000g0/just_for_fun_rfantasy_authors_po st_the_last/

By Annette on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

Or if you are blind like me.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/3000g0/just_for_fun_rfantasy_authors_po st_the_last/cpnz2n0

By Auna on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 06:03 am: Edit Post

Squeee!

Can we just shove her off a cliff? Pweeze!

By Julie on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 12:48 pm: Edit Post

But then we would not see Arithon use the Biedar knife?

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 01:18 am: Edit Post

Well now, if that's not a sni without the ppet, I don't know what is! Proximity to completion acknowledged, but a paragraph? I ask you, do you mean to drive us nuts, oh crafty Tale-spinner?

By DarthJazy on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 01:52 pm: Edit Post

Our favorite "Tale Spinner" drove me nuts years ago

By DarthJazy on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 02:17 pm: Edit Post

Mrs. Tale Spinner is it lookign 2016? Only ask so I know when to do my reread of series.