Archive through June 11, 2016

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Speculation (Spoiler Rules Apply): Archive through June 11, 2016
   By Julie on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:39 am: Edit Post

I am not saying that Sulfin Evend was not in danger- that was true from the moment he challenged both the Koriani and the Light's high priests not to mention Lysaer under the full sway of the curse; just not seeing one particular story changing event.

I would think the Light and later the True Sect dogma precludes mention let alone displaying any symbols related to Ath Creator. However Lysaer may wear that as another snub to the True Sect leadership.

By Annette on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:46 pm: Edit Post

But Etarra was built after the rebellion, so the old legends were still popular back then. They were not fighting for faith back then, just power. And as Ath's avatar, a symbol representing Ath would not ruffle any True Sect feathers. Not that they had Lysaer back for long. Lysaer never wore it while he was parading around as the Divine Prince, he wore a sunwheel back then. I would have though a sun more likely to be Ath's symbol, but we will have to wait and see.

And no one would object to a symbol seen to represent Etarra's Governor supreme/Lord Mayor for centuries, no matter what it was. Lysaer started with a gold star on blue, went to a gold sunwheel on white, I think the third likely related to a wheel, and gold on red. Fate's Wheel?

And the big story changing event in Sulfin Evend's life, was getting Lysaer to disown his fanatics. Daliana counted it a success, and then burst into tears at the thought of it. Janny might not have described it, but it was pretty obvious. The moment Enithen Tuer said he would have to face.

"One day fate will force you to choose which of two loyalties you will sacrifice."
Enithen Tuer - Traitor's Knot

I do not think Sulfin Evend could break that blood oath to the Fellowship. Which brings us back to what Maenalle said.

"From this day forward, expect an arrow from the shadows, poison in your cup, and a knife at your throat, among my people."
– The Ships of Merior

The knife at his throat that saved him from the necromancers?

The arrow from his shadow behind the throne, Sulfin Evend, that saved him from?

I was actually wondering if all three events are something to do with necromancy, evil seems to be attracted to Lysaer. Maybe Janny will do a short story covering the missing parts of Sulfin Evend's life.

By Annette on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:25 pm: Edit Post

I think Selidie Primes big showdown with Arithon will be occurring in one of the Chapter 13 subchapters.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:05 am: Edit Post

SNORT!!!! - couldn't resist.....! Evil author grin, as set 13 steps towards denouement - YOU HAVE NO IDEA. Trust me, you truly, truly don't.

By Julie on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 06:14 pm: Edit Post

Speculating is fun but I will wait to see how and when that confrontation takes place!

By Annette on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:02 pm: Edit Post

Well I do not think Arithon could face Selidie till he has recovered himself, and healed from at least the last imprisonment, and maybe the next. And I doubt Selidie would be inviting him into her lair till she was desperate to be rid of him, having already failed with the obvious way.

And Elaira would have to reveal herself and give Arithon the Biedar knife, which I think Arithon needs to use before meeting Selidie. Elaira is likely to remain out of Arithon's sight for a while yet. So if all the blistering action is taking place in Chapter 13 main, maybe Selidie is next?

Could have happened earlier, but I would like to think Selidie/Morriel will wait to see if Lysaer and those fanatics of his can do the job first. The after effects of that still seem to be going in Chapter 13 main.

Of course Janny could surprise me, and Selide Prime or Morriel could be the unfriendly hand that saves Arithon. She does have the power to prevent a spirit crossing the wheel. But I doubt she would, she seems hell bent on destroying everything just to get the power to get her precious star spanning civilisation back.

By Julie on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:18 pm: Edit Post

Arithon and Lysaer lasting the span of the books is a given. I also assume that the Beider knife is for breaking the spells that allow Morriel to inhabit Selidie. I will not be disappointed though if I am wrong. After all I have remained a fan of this series since the COTMW because I have been wrong about plot twists and developing characters!

By Annette on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 10:46 pm: Edit Post

Arithon would not attack Morriel or anyone else with that Biedar Knife. Best go look at the reasons why the Fellowship could do nothing. It is not a blood binding Morriel used to possess Selidie, not the same thing as Lysaer was threatened with. And if Arithon did want to send Morriel on her way, I doubt he would need the knife for it, his Masterbard's talent should be able to manage it. But still he would not I think, unless he knew Selidie wanted her freedom.

Morriel set up her own downfall, Arithon will probably have to do nothing but appear before her and she will do the rest herself. Selidie Prime's promise on the Waystone is likely what will strip Morriel's spirit out of Selidie. Arithon would be blameless.

But a more mysterious thing to think on, is why Janny included the mention and bit in the glossary of Ship's of Merior and Warhost of Vastmark about Taerlin Waters and the unicorn slaughter. The lore the Masterbard's have kept alive would have meaning, I think Arithon of even Elaira might be paying that location a visit in one of the last two books. What could be learned there I wonder.

I think that might have been the location of Janny's sketch in the photo showing the draft manuscript.
https://www.facebook.com/JannyWurts/photos/a.274462809331879.57196.2605385240576 41/787678374676984/?type=3&theater

It could be some where else, Janny has mentioned many caves, some with things that chitter and seemed dangerous, underground caverns with nameless things, multiple caves around Paravia that could and have sheltered life. There are also numerous sacred springs, bit hard to tell what the sketch is.

By Julie on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 12:55 pm: Edit Post

The Biedar knife is not an offensive weapon- so Arithon cannot attack with it. I agree that Selidie would somehow have to make her desire for freedom known, however her oath to the sisterhood appears to supercede any claim to freedom. Maybe he will use it to assist Lirenda. Perhaps Elaira can use it to cut her own ties to the Koriani!

By Annette on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 12:46 am: Edit Post

Well to use the knife to free Selidie, Arithon would have to attack her. Morriel is not going to agree to be banished, she is going to defend herself, she is not likely to even allow that knife any where near her. Arithon will not use the knife against anyone's will, so how could he use it to free Selidie, even if his empathy and compassion might know she wanted her freedom?

Morriel passes the wheel, Selidie and Lirenda should be freed. Lirenda is not capable of wielding the knife while under Selidie/Morriel's control. And if she had free will and Arithon handed her a knife, she would more likely try to kill him with it.

Elaira uses it to free herself of her koriani oath, her crystal would still self destruct. We already went over that a few times in the books, Elaira will stay Koriani, there would be a purpose to that. There have been hints. Elaira will have a Prime role in things to come. She might yet even get front place on the cover of Song of the Mysteries.

Elaira is to give the knife into Arithon's hand, it is his destiny written on the knife. What else might Arithon do with it? By the time Elaira can give Arithon the knife, he might be free of his tie to Rathain.

By Julie on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 02:20 pm: Edit Post

I do not think the "blade" was not created to wield as a knife- that is to stab, cut, slice flesh. Rather we have seen it used to cut the bonds of necromancy and as source of backlash when Lysaer attacked Sulfen Evend with a light bolt. The Beidar elder said it was crafted with Arithon destined to use it to right the wrong against the Beidar by the Koriani. Arithon is clever, if he stays the path hoped by the Beidar, the forbidden knowledge stolen and corrupted by the Koriani can be purged without compromising anyone's free will or loss of life, including Elaira's crystal.

By Annette on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 05:35 pm: Edit Post

But Arithon would have to tackle Selidie Prime to the ground, tie her up and then still fight her in order to use the knife. Arithon is not going to do it. He is not going to be responsible for such an act against anyone.

"Know that the purpose behind the blade’s shaping one day will make itself known to you."
-Initiate’s Trial

The purpose will make itself known to Elaira.

"The blade is a talisman, made ages ago for one purpose only: to end the defiled practice your Fellowship Sorcerers decry as the abomination of necromancy."
-Initiate’s Trial

Arithon has already put an end to one lot of necromancers. The second is likely again connected with Lysaer and would originate at Erdane, and probably fall to Arithon in a different manner. But would the third not be the Koriani Prime, where the knowledge originated? She can draw life from her initiate's, imprison spirits, prevent spirits crossing the wheel and has now taken possession of one of her initiate's. So Morriel is going to have to go.

"Accept your role for the sake of my people, that the wrongness done with our blameless heritage may be ended, put right, and reconciled."

So while Erdane's false priesthood, sends an emissary called the Light's Hope off to Etarra to petition the false avatar to come back to the fold, the Biedar send Elaira, Arithon's guiding Light on a mission that will eventually lead her back to Arithon, bearing the legacy that knife holds. The legacy is intended for Arithon, not Morriel, Selidie or Lirenda.

By Julie on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 12:42 pm: Edit Post

Annette- read Sundering Star- that is the back story about Koriani interest in Beidar knowledge. The indiscriminate and twisted use of their stolen heritage led to many of the dark practices by the Koriani as well as necromancy. The Beidar have been looking for a way to erase that knowledge from the Koriani for eons. We do not know what Arithon will/can do if he comes face to face with Selidie, he has never shied from defending himself with deadly force if necessary. Maybe the knife was crafted to delete all the imprints embedded in the Major focus crystals. Or it may enhance and focus his talents as Masterbard to reach true resonance with those stones and by that clear them. Hopefully we will find out soon!

Elaira was viewed by the Elder as an emissary from the Koriani. The blade gives her a reason to seek him out sooner rather than later. She is not the counterpart to the priest sent by the True Sect to Ettarra. Rather I would say that Daliana plays that role.

By Clansman on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 02:15 pm: Edit Post

Julie, Arithon has in fact "shied from defending himself with deadly force if necessary". After his trial in Kewar, he eschewed violence of any kind, and has pursued a non-violent path. Remember the raids on the Light's caravans in Initiate's Trial? No deaths. Arithon offered himself up as a sacrifice to the Kralovir, but it was the Fellowship, in fact, that wielded the force that destroyed them.

In fact, the futility of armed conflict and violence is one of the major themes of the Wars of Light and Shadow. If any issues are resolved by war, the consequences of using war to do so far reaching and very negative, even if a cause is just (i.e. World War II).

Violence will not be the means by which Arithon deals with Morriel/Selidie. I think that she will be hoisted on her own petard. I just don't have a clue what that will look like!

By Judy on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:29 pm: Edit Post

In my thoughts, I keep coming back to the vow Morriel / Selidie took on the Waystone to never force Elaira to betray Arithon. She might be so rattled by seeing the knife in Arithon's possession ... THAT knife in HIS hands ... that she forgets her vow, and goes kaboom.

By Julie on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 07:31 pm: Edit Post

Hi Clansman:
I realized my mistake just now on rereading, thought I deleted that bit. You are right he is very much the pacifist, although he blamed himself for the deaths of the Kralovir fringe members (Raitt for one).

Moriel/Selidie seems to be quite good at being hoisted on her own petard! She was deceitful to Elaira at that same interview, if she had fingers I would guess that she had them crossed behind her back when she made that vow!

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 05:27 pm: Edit Post

So the wonderful F7 decide they need a vacation and just evict all of humanity from the planet end series muwhahaha

By Annette on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:25 pm: Edit Post

The Fellowship would more likely go home for a vacation, fix up their home worlds, they left as cinders, build a holiday home and wait for humanity to follow them. They should get a fair bit of peace that way, take humanity a while to evolve that far.

By Annette on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:55 pm: Edit Post

And Arithon called on no Fellowship intercession to deal with the Kralovir, all they did was clean up the bodies. Arithon had already dealt with the Kralovir, they were gone. Arithon did sort of warn them. "Then for my sake, rest my appeal with Ath’s grace." He meant it literally.

Arithon set himself up as bait, they inducted his essence into their web and when Arithon called down the prime vibration they were reaped from within, getting all of them, breaking all their dark ties and freeing their captive spirits. No Fellowship power was used, Arithon did not use any crown ties.

I am sort of wondering if Selidie Prime has made a similar mistake. How exactly has she defeated mortality? Selidie cannot have longevity, so how is it she is still young? Was she using something she stole from Arithon? Life force maybe? Look at how the necromancers gain their longevity by torturing the spirits they imprison, or how they drain the vitality from a living breathing being. Arithon's spirit was imprisoned, and under her power. If she needed anything else, she also had his witless body captive, he was defenseless.

But if that speculation is any where near true, I suspect Arithon knew that would happen, before he was taken captive. Has Selidie already taken the bait? And when Arithon escaped, did she lose the source of her addiction? Or can she maybe draw from her order without them noticing, or from Lirenda more likely. Would it be enough or will Selidie start to age maybe?

And then there is Arithon, why was it necessary for the Biedar to bend time to get him back? How is it Selidie would know they did that? Because it would have taken longer than Arithon's life span to redeem all those wraiths? Selidie Prime expected to win either way, and still have Arithon's spirit a captive after he died? And if for 248 years (or maybe less depending on when it started, or when the wraiths became a problem) Arithon was also somehow preserving Selidie, what does that mean for Arithon's longevity?

By Julie on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:58 am: Edit Post

The Koriani had longevity spells tied at least to their personal crystals. Remember (I think) in Ships of Merior, Elaira agrees to undergo the process. one of the Fellowship discorporates visits her and not only eases the physical pain but removes the longevity bonds from her crystal.
Then there was the Koriani healer who died that horrible death when her crystal was dropped in a bucket of sea water.

By Annette on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 05:41 pm: Edit Post

When we first met Morriel, she used her personal crystal. When we first met Selidie, before she became Prime, she used hers. Since Selidie became Prime, Morriel's crystal was cleared, since she died, and Selidie has never been seen to use hers, it has never been mentioned. The personal crystal ties to the spirit, Morriel could never use Selidie's personal crystal.

Unless Selidie had longevity training before Morriel possessed her, her life could never be extended the usual way. Wrong spirit. Selidie was 20 when she became Prime, no mention was ever made of her having longevity training before that. She could pretend to have it after, but it would not work!

Perfect with youth, though she was in fact aged, her vitality engineered by dark spellcraft that had repeatedly cheated mortality,
-Initiate’s Trial

Overwhelming, his fury for the twisted practice that permitted the abomination he confronted on the dais to live. He capped his latent rage for the abhorrent abuses that kept Selidie’s creamy skin smooth;
-Initiate’s Trial

If Selidie had longevity bindings, she would still look as young, there would have been no need for her to use dark arts to cheat mortality. No need for abhorrent abuses to keep her youth. Morriel cheated mortality once, not repeatedly. So how has Morriel been keeping Selidie looking young? Look at how the necromancers work, look at how the Koriani Prime can draw life force from her initiate's, using that master sigil.

If the Great Waystone’s properties had lent her some surcease from the crippling pain which hounded her overtaxed body, it could not extend the span of her life by even as much as one day.
-Warhost of Vastmark

Where did Selidie Prime steal the power from to extend her youth, and who has she been abusing?

Whenever he tried to break through, other forces would answer, bleeding him until he lay helplessly prostrate.
-Initiate’s Trial

Are you alive enough to fight back?’
-Initiate’s Trial

"I was held as their captive, most likely for an unclean purpose."
-Initiate’s Trial

Look at the words Janny has used.

And then there is this.
"Never let go! Not until you reclaim the blood-born right to your whole being."
-Initiate’s Trial

Why is it Arithon could only come up with part of his Name? Ari___n, what happened to the tho? Is he missing something? Elaira is keeping part, imprinted in Rathain's signet ring.

Emptied himself, his given will yielded the part of his core self that was hers alone.
-Initiate’s Trial

Dakar probably stripped him of memory it seems.

For the personal imprint no longer existed, as sworn by the Mad Prophet long ago on the night sands at Athir. Arithon Teir’s’Ffalenn had been stripped of that memory, along with his greater identity.
-Initiate’s Trial

Arithon's greater identity? Some parts are kept safe by Elaira and Dakar, Selidie Prime never got everything, even though she got Arithon. No knowledge of spell craft, no knowledge of Arithon's heart, and then there is that greater identity thing, a mystery that, or was that the Creator himself? Herself? There is a bit more to this story than what is obvious.

Maliciously sure, the Prime offered Arithon the seductive temptation, to know himself as he had been before the enspelled term of her imprisonment had stripped away his greater faculties.
-Initiate’s Trial

Traithe lost his greater faculties to that Mistwraith, he also lost memory. Is Arithon missing something more than memory? And who really has it, did Selidie maybe lie? Dakar has certainly come a long way from what he used to be, is it just the training? Elaira can now it seems stand against that master sigil, hold her own against a Prime Matriarch and her talent can work through more than just water now.

By Annette on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:46 am: Edit Post

Something we have all probably thought about over the years, especially since Arithon popped the question to Elaira and she accepted. Do we think Arithon and Elaira are ever going to have a family all of their own? The patter of little feet once those two start to make their own light and music together on a regular basis, after all the conflict ends and things settle down.

As clear in his heart was the love in the choice that had claimed his blood oath at Athir: the imperative drive to uphold the mysteries sustaining Paravian survival. He had come too far to abandon that charge, which also demanded her place at his side, in the ecstasy of freed union.
-Stormed Fortress

Now we have seen the most fun way the two of them can uphold the mysteries, seems to result in conception, no matter what precautions are taken.

Children were also part of the wish of Arithon's heart.

Desh-thiere’s curse was a memory, all bloodshed behind him. He could abandon both crown and sword without guilt and reassume the pursuit of his music. Elaira’s voice called him. Her open arms promised him peace, and the delights of unimpaired freedom. Together, they would build a bright future. Immersed in the rapture of her tender love, Arithon beheld a shared life made full. Together, they could study the grand confluence of the mysteries and raise a family of gifted children.
-Peril’s Gate

If they do the grand confluence thing each year, and both live a very long life together, that could be a lot of children.

By Julie on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:35 pm: Edit Post

Let them have some time together before the challenges of parenthood. Unless they have lots of nannies, a brood of children will detract from their creative endeavors!

By Annette on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:41 am: Edit Post

They will probably both have lots of other responsibilities, so not likely to get a lot of physical time together at first anyway. But I do not think abstinence is in their plans. And it seems upholding the mysteries needs them to have some fun together on a regular basis.

Elaira might have lots of nannies, very experienced at bringing up talented children. The Koriani will need less orphanages if they stop making orphans with their meddling ways. Elaira would waste no time sorting them out if she was in charge. A compassionate order of motherly healers?

And is not parenthood another way Arithon and Elaira can help Athera? All that born talent protected and trained up, allowed to be whatever they want to be. Adepts, Koriani, mages, bards, healers, maybe even a few priests? If Arithon ever gets the chance to start a family, he would make sure they were protected, and allowed to reach their full potential, in love, without having to struggle just to survive as he had to.

By Annette on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 06:57 pm: Edit Post

A quote from Initiate's Trial.

No mortal survived, who crossed Athili’s rim.

Who read that and started wondering when Arithon would be paying Athili a visit? What would posses him to take such a risk? What might he gain? Arithon seems to make a habit of doing what no other mortal would do. But Janny threw in a hint in case we forgot.

No mortal was fashioned to endure countless days, spent immersed in the etheric surge of the flux tides. Arithon had little choice.

Arithon it seems is no ordinary mere mortal, but Janny keeps reminding us he is still mortal. How is he going to survive Destiny's Conflict? Arithon it seems has just about all the talent of the creator himself, just not the straight power, has a severe memory problem and not had a chance to develop to his full potential yet. Might there be something in Athili that would help?

By Maggie on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:28 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny!

Today I learned about a Spartan admiral named Lysander, and stopped in surprise at the similarity to the name Lysaer. Was it chance or inspiration in the similarity?

By Annette on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:32 am: Edit Post

One of the rare occasions the curse drove Arithon to madness and he actually said something about Lysaer. It was from Fugitive Prince as Arithon was attempting to escape Dakar at Riverton.

"My half brother isn’t going to lie down and die from the glorious rapture of music.”

When under control of the curse, Arithon would not see the truth, I bet that is just what Lysaer will do. Once freed of the curse Lysaer would not be turning down Athlieria. Think of how Arithon reacted after the battle of Strakewood when calling the lost spirits. Of Jilieth the little girl in Vastmark, and of the fallen soldier Arithon sang for in Kewar.

And then there is Alithiel, Arithon did want to give her to Lysaer in CotM. If the s'Ffalenn royal line ends, but Arithon returns, does that leave him free to pass Alithiel to Lysaer? His only blood relation on Athera? And what was Alithiel's purpose? Could be wrong about the sword, but I do not think I am wrong about what Lysaer's reaction will be when Arithon finally saves him.

By Neil on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:23 am: Edit Post

Rereading Peril's gate scenes...

Sethvir has a pact with fey spirits at Althain...but I have not idea what this might imply...

Selidie (if she captured Davien) felt she could "unlease old knowledge". What would she want to achieve without the compact? A higher standard of living with space-faring technology which presumably would upset magnetics/mysteries on the planet? What if they kept to the towns though? Or is there an inevitable necessary human migration to free wilds if population expands? Has human population on Athera increased in 5000 years ...life expectancy?...is any "growth" limited by compact and Koriani see this as undesirable (and therefore not free to leave and continue to discover worlds...but then why not just carry on from Athera...they must have been desperate when they arrived on Athera to not just move on...or all the pilots were fed up of travel)?

Some of the information in the "way"stone is presumably a map of star systems so any leaver from Athera would know the way to plot their spaceship to the nearest available planet? ;-)

By Neil on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:26 am: Edit Post

Sethvir has a pact with fey spirits at Althain...but I have not idea what this might imply...

Selidie (if she captured Davien) felt she could "unlease old knowledge". What would she want to achieve without the compact? A higher standard of living with space-faring technology which presumably would upset magnetics/mysteries on the planet? What if they kept to the towns though? Or is there an inevitable necessary human migration to free wilds if population expands? Has human population on Athera increased in 5000 years ...life expectancy?...is any "growth" limited by compact and Koriani see this as undesirable (and therefore not free to leave and continue to discover worlds...but then why not just carry on from Athera...they must have been desperate when they arrived on Athera to not just move on...or all the pilots were fed up of travel)?

Some of the information in the "way"stone is presumably a map of star systems so any leaver from Athera would know the way to plot their spaceship to the nearest available planet? ;-)

By DarthJazy on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:26 am: Edit Post

I just always assumed that the information in the "way" stone were old star maps to the closest "starbucks".

By Neil on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:29 am: Edit Post

By Julie on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

The Koriani do not like being restricted.This coupled with their firm belief that humanity is the top of the food chain (as it were),and as guardians would resent the compact. I do not think the Koriani would leave Athera if given the chance, too much raw power to harness.

Also remember the other worlds that humans were allowed to settle on- the ones the gates connected. One kept their technology and became the mistwraith!

By DarthJazy on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:38 pm: Edit Post

Wasn't the MistWraith done through the population being necromancers? I could be wrong if so what book was this in so that I may reread it.

By Annette on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:58 pm: Edit Post

The Koriani Prime if given her free unimpeded will would leave Athera, Morriel indicated that when she tried to upset the compact with her meddling, she died that night. Morriel was willing to destroy Athera and all life on her, in order to get what she wanted. The Koriani Prime wants to restore the star spanning civilization humanity lost, and they want control of it, just as they were trying to gain originally. They have real power on Athera, that is why they never went through the south gate, they would have to give up the stored knowledge in the Waystone and other minerals they imprison, and they would lose most of their power.

Wanting to restore the civilization humanity lost, is not necessarily a bad thing, but they keep destroying themselves with or without the Koriani meddling to gain power. They have learned nothing, they would just destroy themselves again. Athera offers the path to the wisdom they need to go along with knowledge the Koriani have in their possession. Yet the koriani are rebelling against the very compact put there to protect them (and Athera's high resonance), and have obviously not embraced the Paravian way of life. The prime to eventually lead the Koriani and humanity to the stars, is likely to be Elaira.

But first they must restore human civilization on Athera so that Ithamon can be rebuilt. Cannot do that while the townborn and the clans are fighting, or while necromancers, the false religion of the Light and the koriani are imprisoning or attempting to destroy Athera's born talent. Also I think the dragons could be a problem. Humanity will need to make some agreement with the dragons maybe, since it seems like some will return. Lysaer might be the one for that task, use his talent to save his townborn from being roasted.

If you look at what we have seen in the books so far, have we not seen that the old home worlds left as cienders can be restored? Merak was a frozen lifeless world, her life web was being restored after Arithon took care of all the wraiths. Davien and Seshkrozchiel together created new life, in order to restore the lifeless Kathtairr the dragons had made lifeless.
Ath's adepts seem to be able to make dreams real by their access to prime power. If humanity restores not only Ithamon, but also can heal all the damage to Athera so that she also is fully restored, as well as embracing the ways of Ath's adepts, music and mages what will they have? Look at how the sages in the CotM prologue accessed the truth of what happened in their distant past?

By Neil on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:44 am: Edit Post

'The Koriani Prime if given her free unimpeded will would leave Athera, Morriel indicated that when she tried to upset the compact with her meddling, she died that night."

=> wonder where she would go? I guess anywhere to be free of F7’s compact…and have humanity do whatever it likes...

If Koriani have real power on Athera prime is still willing to give it up for freedom to the stars….assume her koriani predecessors did not want the compact (hence the “feud” mentioned in FP) but did not have the resources to move on from Athena…Davien would have fed them ;-) So Paravia is preferable to Marak...but they would have had increased freedom from compact...if the Marak population were able to create the mist wraith, could they have build spaceships? (Maybe they were not interested in travel, only immortality?)

Curious to think that Prime believes she can deal with F7 in the right circumstances…where the F7 believe they are bound to uphold paravian survival whatever the cost…I wonder when this conflict heats up again they are both wrong? Was there not a clue on this forum that in DC both Koriani and F7 are in a stalemate?

Davien seems to think he can sort out the Koriani (with Luhaine?)…

"The prime to eventually lead the Koriani and humanity to the stars, is likely to be Elaira. "

=> F7 saw Arithon and Elaira being a troublesome partnership…still not sure why? Because het crystal is outside compact and together they could do something? Don't think Elaira is that interested in steering humanity...surely she would satisfied starting a family with Arithon...if they can find a way to peace...although Biedar seem to have warned her about her hopes with Arithon in I.T.?

"But first they must restore human civilization on Athera so that Ithamon can be rebuilt. "

=> why would rebuild? Is the fifth tower something that can be rebuild just like that…?

Also I think the dragons could be a problem. Humanity will need to make some agreement with the dragons maybe, since it seems like some will return.

=> I think humans will not be in a position treat with drakes…a different order of magnitude there…? Human are likely just to get fried…although granted Sesh. is innovating?

Lysaer might be the one for that task, use his talent to save his townborn from being roasted.

=> Lysaer would surely be irrelevant to a drake…500 years of minor instability on the continent is trivial to them? They have their own war to continue?

=> Agree that music may be the process for townborn to get a little closer to the mysteries…but ignorance surely cannot be cured to quickly and if vast majority do not give permission…maybe the priesthood can become a better influence in time (I do wonder whether dark practice continues in the priesthood even post-Celebald since he taught the skills). Where the free wilds might increase/change their area...humans are forced to adapt or leave the area...?

Curiously the adapts (not some of them) do not have that wide-spread awareness of all that goes on on Athena (e.g. underwater drake foundations, other creatures in the dark)

The mystery thickens...still ;-)