Archive through October 09, 2017

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 4: Sword of the Canon: Destiny's Conflict: Status Updates: Archive through October 09, 2017
   By Alan on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

I dug into the Book Depository thing a bit further and it seems that might have been my error. The one showing as awaiting publication/sold out is the paperback(though I am nearly 99% certain I placed an order there for the hardcover). I've contacted them to see about correcting this.

By Judy on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:56 pm: Edit Post

My biggest bummer is that the ebook release is still set for Thursday and I have company coming in starting Friday so I can't spend the weekend just burrowed into a chair reading ....

By Annette on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:48 am: Edit Post

I was a bit disappointing the local bookstore, got the trade paperback in first, which will affect the sales of the hardback. They said it was random what they got first, and that it was harder to sell the hardcover. I was in a hurry and just took the paperback, wanting to read it. I get the hardcover anyway, it just means the spare I donate to the library this time will be the trade paperback. It just seemed unusual not to have them both arrive together. I might check on Thursday to see if they did get any hardcovers in.

I am about halfway through reading it. :-)

By Dan on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:00 am: Edit Post

My copy has been dispatched, I should get it tomorrow!

By ROISIN O'CONNOR on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:03 am: Edit Post

JUST got the notification it's been shipped... so so so so delighted. Can't wait to get reading. Will make noise everywhere. Thank you Janny! <3

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:00 am: Edit Post

Alan, thank you for staying abreast of the listings on the Book Depository - that helps, A LOT, saves me chasing it, which means: I'm writing, not fretting over dropped stitches.

You people - this group - you're the best, I don't know how I'd do this without you!

Annette - wow HALFWAY already?
That's fabulous to hear; and dismaying (readers consume books so much faster than I can possibly write them!!!) Are we going to take bets that you'll be first over the finish line? (and if you are, how could you Possibly have taken in everything laid down in there at one gulp?) Though on second thought: the suspense probably demands a run straight through at breakneck speed, or maybe suffocate from holding your breath..... :X. Thank gosh I won't have to type that symbol over this title very much longer.

To any of you early birds starting to read: if you have a GoodReads account, it NEVER EVER hurts to post a 'status update' as you read - obviously use their spoiler tags to black out anything that would put the wrecking ball to the reveals - but even a generic comment on how the book is making you feel helps A LOT!

And rate, and review, everywhere you can, if you are so inclined, that will help set this title on the map out the gate. I've done my bit.... ;)

I know SOME of the confusion over ISBN's and preorders is due to the fact that HC, for an interval, actually cancelled the hardback; so preorders were scrubbed, then the ISBN switched, then I raised a tantrum ( and perhaps some of you did, too) - so they reinstated the hardcover, and the system is probably grinding gears over the switch in track. So any of you asking for the hardbound, or checking over ordering info - that is truly a godsend, as I know my publisher is 'down one' on editorial staff, and when the new editor starts in, shortly, they will have to learn the ropes - so this is the sort of moment when stuff is stretched thin, and bases left uncovered for a release such as this - we don't want that to happen.

One last: I always know when someone talks up the books, or if someone with followers posts a comment or review, because it ALWAYS bumps the stats! This is the stuff I cannot do - and it always warms my heart to see a jump in the numbers. So those of you doing this, thanks for the lift, there is no better gift in return than a happy reader sharing with others.

By Gary Coady on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:12 am: Edit Post

My Kindle order on Amazon.com has a strange status:

On the order listing page, it says, "Pre-ordered -- Release day delivery: Thursday, October 19, 2017". But when I click through to the item page, "This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on October 5, 2017."

Currently believing the second sentence, hoping for a book drop tomorrow morning! :-) Amazon reminds me at the top of the page, "You purchased this item on June 14, 2015" - it's been a long ride, soo happy to get the book at last!

This series is one of just a few I regularly recommend to people when they ask for some book recommendations, with some extra notes that it's my favourite series. Maybe now's a good time to leave a copy of CoTM in the kitchen at work ;)

Not used to posting Goodreads status updates, but will do this time.

Congratulations Janny!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:35 am: Edit Post

Thank you, Gary! If you were here for 'release day' tomorrow, we'd pour you a single malt, or a craft beer!

Without you all, this past few years would have been a very lonely road, indeed.

By Kim Murray on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 03:31 pm: Edit Post

Hi Gary - mine said the same but I woke up this morning (5 Oct Aus time) to find Destinys Conflict in my Kindle library.
Iíve also ordered paperback but that wont arrive till next week.
So excited for this weekend :-) to reacquaint myself with old friends ....

By Ben Crofts on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:13 pm: Edit Post

Good news - my copy arrived today (via SpeedyHen)

Bad news - I have to somehow find time to read Initiate's Trial, which in turn means racking my memory to remember where things were as of the end of Stormed Fortress, before I can get to this!

Oh stuff it, can I have Song of the Mysteries now so I can just do a mega read?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:49 pm: Edit Post

Pssst: there are time line recaps in Stormed Fortress, updated for Initiate's Trial, and updated again for Destiny's Conflict.

By Annette on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:00 pm: Edit Post

I keep trying to convince my kindle to give me Destiny's Conflict, but I ordered from the US site, so I guess I have to wait till tomorrow. I will have finished reading it by then. I am currently up to slippery slopes and bare arsed embarrassment.

There are some things I did not understand, so will pick through it the easy way tomorrow, on the kindle.

By Auna on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:46 pm: Edit Post

I kind of hate all you people who got it early! :P I keep refreshing my Kindle book list and it keeps NOT having the book. I think it will be closer to midnight before it pops on. Waah!

Happy reading all you luckies!

By Jeff on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 11:54 pm: Edit Post

The preordered ebook was just added to my Google Play Books library.
I'll be a while just looking at the maps. And the detail on the title page!
Thanks!

By Annette on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:00 am: Edit Post

The US kindle version is out now as well.

By Auna on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 04:13 am: Edit Post

Yep, I'm happily reading... except for wanting to strangle Morriel/Selidie but that's nothing new.

By Clansman on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 09:50 am: Edit Post

Okay, I broke down this morning, loaded Kindle for Android on my phone, and bought DC. Now trying to ignore my phone until tonight (work to be done, aaaargh!).

Still getting the hardcover on Nov. 21 (the Amazon.ca date), but I wasn't going to wait another six weeks for this book, no sir!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:05 am: Edit Post

Oh, thank you people who are 'double ordering' to make the release day - if we can ONLY make the Amazon Algorithm for first day sales - that could inject a whole lotta marketing because then it puts the book on the map for their own, internal, marketing track. When AMAZON does its special sales - they pay the publisher full price and take the hit on the discount themselves....when the publisher puts the books on special sale, this does not happen (my royalties go down the drain/in the hope we gain new readers). Making the Amazon algorithm also boosts the other titles and DEFINITELY broadens new reader awareness as the book goes onto their 'recommended' boost, too.

So every little thing matters, today, all the signal boost we can muster. I guarantee that if HarperCollins UK happened to UNDERESTIMATE the performance of this book, they will sit up very fast and take fresh notice!

So thank you all from a grateful author! Song of the Mysteries handling WILL be based on how Destiny's Conflict performs.

Release day threads may be popping up on forums; and so will the first reviews - if you're out and about on the net, watch for them. This is all stuff I cannot do, beyond boosting the signal of what readers have posted.

I am beating the drum a bit because the next few days are absolutely critical!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

Other things you can do if you are reading the e version - highlight 'quotable quotes' - these can be picked up and posted by other readers - and if you have a GoodReads account, you can also post a quote you like from any book - it gets attributed to the book and author and it WILL show also on the book's data page there, for other readers to see.

Comment threads pop up on forums all the time, asking for people to post their favorite book quotes - and if you mark them, you'll have them ready at your fingertips.

Takes a moment, makes the world of difference, since often a provocative quote intrigues a reader into that click that means taking a look.

By Melanie Trumbull on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 11:58 am: Edit Post

Madam Talespinner, your wish is my command.
Granted, my order from Amazon in the US, in hardback;
and my isolation from Kindle, Nook, and e-books in general;
means that it will be a while before the whole book is mine to read.
However:

Amazon's "Destiny's Conflict" order page has now attached Amazon's "LOOK INSIDE" feature
using the Kindle version of the book.
This has permitted me to see a page or two that is NOT in Janny Wurts's sneak peeks here at her website.

That is my justification for what I just did:
I logged in to my account at Amazon USA, where the status of my Destiny's Conflict order is active.
And under that condition,
Amazon USA allowed me to POST A REVIEW of Destiny's Conflict.
I based the review on the "LOOK INSIDE" sneak peek from the Kindle version.

And now I just have to wait for my order to be filed,
like everybody else. Hope this helps.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:28 pm: Edit Post

Melanie Trumbull - EVERYTHING helps. I believe Amazon also lets you start discussions of books on their pages (they used to)

I have posted up the release notices on the Janny Wurts page, and also changed up the header photo to reflect the series as it stands - so any visitors there can SHARE that info with anyone else; that's just a click and it really helps, too.

Thank you Melanie!!! and everyone else supporting the Release Day celebration, even if you are too shy to post.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:30 pm: Edit Post

Oh, lovely, Krista posted a release day party thread over at r/fantasy, hop in!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/74gddj/happy_release_day_janny_wurts/

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 06:14 pm: Edit Post

This topic discussion cropped up, just today, mostly contributed to by readers who have had 'difficulty' keeping up (time between releases).

If you have a GoodReads account and want to add your own spin to it, that would really help put a little variety into the discussion (which is a little one sided/most of the comments are clumped around one view).

YES - I am paying attention to this stuff, today - it is the book's release and the early moments matter a lot.

Thanks to all who are following along - it's the author's 'hairy moment' when a book goes public, and it's definitely in the readerships hands going forward.

Here's the link to the discussion:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/18925817-problems-of-scale?page=1#comment_n umber_1

By Annette on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 07:25 pm: Edit Post

I have to admit, for Destiny's Conflict, I did not re-read the whole series like I usually do. Just Initiate's Trial

By Aria on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:18 pm: Edit Post

UK hardcover has arrived! Preordered from Amazon back in May it arrived this afternoon.

I thought I would look up briefly, squeal in excitement and get my head back in. Thoroughly enjoying myself.

I also for reasons unknown to myself had assumed hardcover just meant the large trade paperback that was released in previous years. So you can imagine my delight when opening the package in seeing a gorgeous looking book nestled inside. Thank you for a wonderful gift Janny.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:51 pm: Edit Post

You are welcome, Aria - I thought the book is exceptionally beautiful, and wow - that full cloth binding made me ecstatic! Enjoy!!!

By Dan on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 06:40 am: Edit Post

My Hardcover copy turned up yesterday afternoon and Iíve been busy devouring it ever since. Just hit my first true OMG moment in the book!!!

By Annette on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 02:59 pm: Edit Post

My hardcover is not going to arrive till next week earliest, it is in the post, but always takes a while to get to Australia. It is strange but the trade paperback I ordered from the Book Depository still says processing, they have not posted it yet. I will wait till Tuesday and see how that works out. I pre-ordered it a long time ago, maybe they forgot about it.

By Dan on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 03:04 pm: Edit Post

The different versions are all over the map this time. In the UK the trade paperback wasn't even on offer, it was hardcover or e-book with the usual years delay until the mass market paperback.

By Auna on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 03:34 pm: Edit Post

I actually accidentally ran into the Goodreads thread and added my thing to it while I was there extolling the awesomeness of where I was at currently in my review, haha.

By Dorothy on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:07 pm: Edit Post

Got my Kindle edition and have ordered the paperback edition tonight here in the UK. So excited! Started reading timeline but going to read properly tomorrow as I am working in the morning and I want a "good run" at it. Thank you so much Janny!

By Annette on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:28 am: Edit Post

The trade paperback is now unavailable at the Book Depository, did any one manage to get a pre-order from them for that edition? They have posted my hardback, but it seems never got the trade paerback books in, or ran out before all the pre-orders were filled. :-(

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:04 am: Edit Post

Have they by chance underestimated how much the readership may have grown over the time I was writing and it gathered new folks at a slow burn, but stead pace? Hoping that is the case, and that there's a run on these books and maybe - a reprint...Keep the pressure on, keep the comments and reviews coming because the time the trade paperback of Stormed Fortress sold out totally in only a month, HC UK decided not to reprint, but wait for the mass market paperback (part of that decision due to a warehouse crisis thrust upon them by the chains) - nonetheless, we WANT them to move and keep the trade paperback in print.

Thank you everyone for all you are doing/particularly those who have finished and can make non spoilery comments - because only YOU know how the book opens out and deliverers on some of the hotly unanswered questions and resolutions.

By Annette on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:08 am: Edit Post

Bookdepository are looking into it, but they seem to think the trade paperback has not been published in the UK yet. I closely inspected the one I brought locally, and sure enough it was bound and printed in Australia by McPherson's Printing Group. Well at least the UK sales for the hardcover might look better doing it that way, But I think overall sales will be down. I will just get them to change my order to another hardcover. Which will make up for failing to get a hardcover version in Australia as I originally intended.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:52 pm: Edit Post

The book IS printed in tradepaperback in the UK, I have copies sent to me from HC Voyager, direct.