Celtic Music / Celtic Rock

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Sounds of Music: Celtic Music / Celtic Rock

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:48 pm: Edit Post

HJ - glad to see you back!

On this band: I haven't heard accordion played with this much verve since Silly Wizard/Phil Cunningham (who edges this performance by oh so narrow a fraction!)

Fiddles - equal the best out there.

Bouzouki, Uileann pipes - wow.
Keyboards, ditto - few bands get the mix right. Relativity did, and also Touchstone. Battlefields are smaller and so cannot really be compared.

Vocals - nothing but nothing beats the smoothness and the blend here. Must be something to do with a family line up. And a wizard sound man.

choice of music - so very upbeat, with a pointing that is just superb, so that every single piece comes alive.

If you're not a musician, you just have to tap your foot. If you've ever picked up or played either pipes or a stringed instrument - you will be just wowed to bliss. Don said, I had to have grinned through the entire concert....wish they came here more often....

By Clansman on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:31 pm: Edit Post

You could always go to Sydney (Cape Breton, not Australia), Janny! They are indeed a great band. Loads and loads of fun, but you want to see them in a place where you can have a pint in your hand, and take a turn around the floor or two!

By Clansman on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:41 pm: Edit Post

Nice to hear praise of the sound man. Those guys get ignored so often, and they are the ones who make everyone sound good, or bad.

A wizard on the sound board can make up for a vocalist with a cold, at least a bit.

By Clansman on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 03:03 pm: Edit Post

Hey! Saw the Barra MacNeils on Sunday night, and couldn't wait to post. They have gotten so much better over the years since I last had the chance to see them in the early 1990s. I truly have not seen more talent on one stage (let alone in one family)!!

Lise almost wept at Lucy MacNeil's rendition of Ave Maria, and I almost wept at the end of the show, where Lucy led a deeply moving arrangement of Auld Lang Syne (to me, it sounded more the way it should sound, given the lyrics, as opposed to the drunken shout that occurs on New Year's).

I have never had music move me like this. WOW! It was a Christmas Music tour, and it was so good. They took some tired old tunes, and really breathed life into them.

Best concert I ever saw... If anyone out there ever has them come near, or you get a chance to watch on TV, DO IT! You really won't regret it.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 04:06 pm: Edit Post

Well, I did say it was just astoundingly great to hear these folks, live...I am not familiar with earlier - the talent, as you saw and heard, just stunning.

I do recommend their "best of" 2 cd set commemorative - splendid stuff.

Right now, birthday specials - Asia's newest, which I love, and also, for writing, I am immersed in Mike Oldfield's newest, Music of the Spheres. Wow!!!

By Sam Hogg on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:28 pm: Edit Post

Hi there everyone.. my first post here on these boards, though I've been a long time Janny Wurts fan! Been picking up some recommendations here and wondered if anyone had heard of Celtus. I picked their CD up from Whitby Abbey, and it's still to date one of my most frequently played albums. Their voices are beautifully haunting and their melodies have such a lilting musicality to them. As both a writer and artist, I find them hugely inspiring.

Their website is: http://www.folking.com/celtus/

And if anyone has any other celtic music recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

By Beldarius on Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 12:20 pm: Edit Post

I don't know if this man counts as a Celtic music composer, but Bill Douglas (who's Canadian) makes amazing music. I love most of his work, especially the vocal and instrumental arrangements of poems by Robert Burns, Percy Bysshe Shelley and William Blake.

So far my favorites have been "The Echoing Green", "My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose", "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton", "Diamond Dance", "The Feast", "Hills of Glencar" and "Return to Inishmore".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: