Sounds of Music

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Sounds of Music

By Lekx on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:11 pm: Edit Post

Hi Hannah / Blue,
In regards to the uilliann pipes, you may be interested in one of my favourite bands - Iona. Their last album (2000, unfortunately) called "Open Sky" has some amazing pipe playing, in combination with violin and electric guitar. I would probably categorize them as progressive rock but with a heavy Celtic influence. If you like either category, I suspect you would really like them. They are all incredible musicians. Their website has not been updated in quite a while, but it's at http://www.iona.uk.com/newindex/frames/frameset.htm.
- Dave
(longtime lurker, Janny fan, and music affectionado)

By Blue on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:03 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Dave!

Always on the lookout for more Celtic music - I just wish I would actually SPELL the names of the instruments.

I am of mostly Irish descent on my mother's side, and Czech on my dad's side of the family. I have been trying to connect with my heritage, not only through cultural research, but also through music. Though I am NOT a musician, I do know what I like, and thus far, what I have heard of genuine Celtic music REALLY appeals to me.

I am certainly going to check out the link you provided and see what I can see.

By the way, de-lurk yourself and join in the speculating and discussion fun here. We're a nice bunch, honest! And not just because the Gryphon tends to shred any nasties, either.

By Lekx on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:45 am: Edit Post

No problem, Blue! If you're more into the Celtic side of the equation, another suggestion might be a group called "Solas." I only own 1 of their albums, the self-titled "Solas", but my sister, who plays fiddle in a Celtic/Irish band, has several, so I hear them frequently. What again impresses me is the quality of the musicians, the tightness of the playing, and the amazing rhythmic interplay.
I'm actually very interested in purchasing their latest album, though, after reading the reviews and info on their website, http://www.solasmusic.com
In terms of Iona, my favourite album is their 3rd one - "Beyond these Shores" followed by their latest, "Open Sky" which has the first track with 5 beats per bar I've heard in a number of years, and their 4th album, "Journey Into the Morn".

Anyway, I can really start to pontificate when it comes to music so I'll stop there. In terms of the discussion, I've not yet read Traitor's Knot so don't want to spoil anything. I've got it in hand but am doing a leisurely re-read of the preceding volumes first. I've just re-started Peril's Gate, so I'm getting close. Exciting! I've avoided the spoiler topics, but was curious about the SF status, when I came accross your post.

- Dave

By max on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 02:23 am: Edit Post

It is a pet theory of mine that genetic memory may be a possibility and that music may be a way to connect to that memory. Have you ever noticed how some music just connects you with energy and some connects to something deep inside? And how some music drives you bonkers till you want to slap the musicians bald? I have listened to ancient native american chant and gregorian chant and african drums and celtic that have touched me so thoroughly and yet the music from India and arab music makes me crazy irritated. remember just a pet theory of mine. [grinning at ya]