Call for Audition

Janny Wurts Chat Area: To Ride Hell's Chasm: Call for Audition
   By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 03:00 pm: Edit Post

I am looking (testing the waters) for a male performer to audition for a dramatic reading of some sample chapters of To Ride Hell's Chasm, to be used for promotion as an mp3 file.

First crack, is there any enthusiastic talent on this board who may be interested in the job?

Please contact me by e mail, then submit a page or two sample, read out of the excerpt text on this website. If I like what I hear, I'll toss you a bid. I can pay a small fee for the service, which would basically be a clean audio file for 3 chapters worth of material.

The recorded excerpt would be used as a free promotional download, but who knows, if the performer is stellar, what that little trailer might lead to?

By Matt Wright on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:11 am: Edit Post

Janny,

As a fan, and someone who really loved the novel, I would be interested in giving this a shot...however, for some reason, when I try to send an email, something (I believe it is on my end) doesn't give me your email address. Is it on the website, or can I get it somewhere else so that I can send you the sample? Congrats on Stormed Fortress, as well. I just finished my reread and am very excited to see what happens next!

Matt Wright
matt_wright42@hotmail.com

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:05 am: Edit Post

Matt -

There is a direct e mail button, on the opening page of the website. That should work. If it doesn't, say so again.

I don't bother putting the email in the chat, because the main site has it clearly marked.

By Trys on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 02:12 pm: Edit Post

Matt,

Clicking this button should launch your e-mail client (Outlook, Eudora, Pegasus, etc.) However, for some configurations it doesn't. If it does not, right click the button (Windows instructions) to bring up a menu which will include 'Copy e-mail address'. This wil place the addy on the clipboard and you can then paste it into your 'To' field.

If push comes to shove, I'll e-mail it to you. :-)

Trys

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:18 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

When ye say "dramatic reading", are we talking a reading like a "Talking-Book" or something like parent's do with their kids (acting the voices and such)?

I'd definately be interested in giving it a go, but I wonder if an Aussie accent would be appreciated? I'll give ye an email if, and only if, Matt hasn't already snagged the spotlight and if ye give me the go ahead here...

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:41 pm: Edit Post

I am thinking in terms of a dramatic recording, which means it must be slow, crystal clear, and alive with actor's inflection - a reading as a dramatic performance.

It has to be clear enough for anyone of any English speaking nationality to understand.

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:26 pm: Edit Post

Would ye mind, then, if I gave it a bit of a go?

Do ye want the whole excerpt from this site recorded, or a few paragraphs to save on filesize?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 09:50 am: Edit Post

A page, to save file size, would be a good example.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 09:51 am: Edit Post

OOps - the excerpt pages may be very long...I was thinking in terms of about 3 - 5 paragraphs.

By Konran on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 01:38 pm: Edit Post

=( Too bad you only want a guy. If you ever need a female voice, look me up xD I've had five years of theatre and four of competitive speech so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to handle the whole "dramatic reading" thing.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:22 pm: Edit Post

Konran -

By all means, give it a try!

I did, myself, and encountered the awkwardness: that all the voices in Ch 1 are male! And mostly same for Ch 2 and 3....it is the first three chapters of this book I want to use for promo....

Fall back, I'd be doing this myself - you have far more training in that area, and so far, there are only a few takers trying.

Let's see what you can do, eh?

I am so backlogged with Stormed Fortress polish up, that I haven't got leeway to play around with recording this on my own for a while yet.

Answer to my prayers - somebody GOOD who can get this bit out there for download to interest new readers!

By Konran on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 02:30 am: Edit Post

I'd definitely be willing to help you out on this... I'm just not entirely sure how to go about recording a reading so that I can get it to you. ^^;;

By Trys on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 04:05 am: Edit Post

Konran,

The ideal format is an MP3 file as the finaly item that would be uploaded to the Paravian podcast area will need to be in that format.

All sorts of ways to create these but it does require a wee bit of tech setup. I.e., a program on your computer that can capture input from a quality microphone or tape that you've recorded.

Trys

By Matt Wright on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 08:05 pm: Edit Post

I tried to send the MP3 file last night, and got a message back today saying it was bounced because there wasn't enough room for Janny to receive it. Any thoughts?

By Konran on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 03:34 am: Edit Post

=/ We have a mic but it doesn't seem to want to record. Trying to find ways to work around that.

By Trys on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 05:08 am: Edit Post

Matt,

Please e-mail me information regarding the file, how big it is, etc. so we can figure out a way for Janny to get the file.

Trys

By HJ on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 03:40 pm: Edit Post

Janny, is there a closing date?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:22 am: Edit Post

HJ - when I get one that will work, or if not that, find another route. I'll notify the site.

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:14 pm: Edit Post

I recorded a passage the other day and played it back...In my opinion, I'm not what ye're looking for.

I will record a small bit that I think might complement my reading.
I don't believe I have "it" though, so :-)

(Played back, my voice isn't as deep as I hear it when I speak...must have something to do with internal resonance in my head or something...)

By Auna on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 03:05 pm: Edit Post

Yah, you never sound the same when you hear yourself played back from a recording. Kindof a bummer.

By Walt on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 06:13 pm: Edit Post

hmmmm... is this still on? For some reason this topic slipped through my grasp! This opportunity sounds excitingly fun.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 05:02 pm: Edit Post

Still on, you betcha.

Have only one entry so far.

By Hunter on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

Sean Connery not available? :-)

By Winter on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

Out of curiosity, how is it decided what ends up on audiobook? Or what the National Institute for the Blind will make into a Talking Book?

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:01 am: Edit Post

Winter - far as I know:

hard sales figures

multiple requests by people who want a title, asking for it. I have no idea what the "magic number" for that is...either way.

By max on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 06:35 am: Edit Post

people really can do opposite sex voices. one of my favorite audio books was 'Left Hand of Darkness' and a female read the whole book, and just by change of expression, not pitch, you could tell. Joan Chen read the 'Bonesetters Daughter' and it sounded perfectly plausible when she did the male voices, altho admittedly there weren't many male voices. happy day!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: