Movies

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Movie/Television Chat: Movies

By Meredith Lee Gray on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:48 pm: Edit Post

National Treasure SPOILERS
National Treasure SPOILERS

Yes, but if the fourth Pirates movie is doing the Fountain of Youth, I think that's more of an argument against Disney producing another sequel centered around that same story.

By Trys on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 09:45 am: Edit Post

Seven Cities of Gold (Quivira and CĂ­bola)?

By DarthJazy on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm: Edit Post

that would fit but i don't think they would conintue with the same general treasure as this movie was about.

By Meredith Lee Gray on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:18 am: Edit Post

Went to see Cloverfield earlier today. Totally loved it. I completely got "into" it, and was thrilled and chilled. It isn't scary like you're sitting at home alone in the dark and thinking about it makes you jump out of your skin. But it was exciting, and got the adrenaline flowing.

There were a few things that I knew beforehand, which I think enable me to enjoy the movie a lot more. I'll post them here, if anyone's interested. They're not spoilers as to what's in the movie really (plot-wise), but more about what you WON'T get in this movie.

If you don't read the spoilers, just know that this is not Independence Day or Godzilla or your typical monster movie.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

1) The entire movie IS filmed on a hand-held camcorder. So there is some "shaky-cam" effects, and I've read a lot of people getting sick or headaches, but I personally didn't feel a darned thing and I'm not sure if those people are just hypersensitive, exaggerating, or looking for attention... When the characters are running it's obviously shaking all over the place, but when they're not running, it's decent. 2) You don't get any back story on where the monster comes from, what it wants, what it's doing, or anything, in the movie. But if you do a little surfing, you'll find a trail of virals and clues that J.J. Abrams and the production crew have made up to give an adequate history of the monster. There's even MySpaces of the main characters. It's pretty darn cool actually. (But I didn't bother to check these things before I saw the movie, I knew they were there, just didn't feel like it, and the movie stands on its own, so you don't HAVE to do all that research.) 3) The ending is left pretty up in the air. You aren't for certain if the monster and characters die or live or what. You can speculate. This is the one thing I'm glad I knew beforehand, because I hate not being told for sure, and leaving it up to my imagination. My imagination is not canon. 4) Like Signs, this movie is more about the experience of a group of people trying to survive, you only know what they know, and not a pull-back wide-angle view of what is going on from the outside-world looking in.

By max on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:59 am: Edit Post

One of the strangest and funniest little films I have ever seen is 'The Gods Must Be Laughing'. The comedy isa mixture of satire and slapstick and the story didn't really have a point at all, yet it is worth seeing once. [After a couple of beers, it's hilarious!!] smile at ya later!

By Clansman on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:21 am: Edit Post

Max:

Do you mean "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? The story is set in Africa, with clumsy South African naturalist, a Bushman, a foul-mouthed mechanic, a beautiful journalist from Britain, and a Range Rover aptly named "The Antichrist"? Oh, yes, and a very important empty (glass, not plastic) coca-cola bottle.

Is this the same movie?

By Meredith Lee Gray on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 01:40 pm: Edit Post

Man, I remember seeing The Gods Must Be Crazy so many years ago.. kind of... I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time. I should try to watch it again I guess.

By max on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:37 am: Edit Post

Yes that was the name of the movie!! 'The Gods Must be Crazy' is one of those obscure little films that is just a little treasure. Another one is 'Quest For Fire'. It wasn't meant to be a comedy, but it is absolutely hilarious. Especially a fight scene where the main character bites his enemy in the groin. You gotta catch that one of these days. [grinning at ya]

By Tygrr on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 07:40 am: Edit Post

I loved 'Quest For Fire'! My favorite scene is where the one character falls out of the tree he was sleeping in, as he was hiding from lions. His freaking out was hilarious!!!

By motley on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:16 am: Edit Post

Oscar winner 'Taxi Ride to the Dark Side' was a very unflinching and hardhitting choice for an Oscar film. Well done to Oz directors, SA producers and the whole 'Democracy' series of 10 films done around the world. I look forward to watching it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: