Janny Wurts Chat Area: Movie/Television Chat: Avatar
   By Janny Wurts on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:01 pm: Edit Post

Has anybody else ventured out to see this, yet?

Visually stunning - though you could see a lot of influence by Whelan and Roger Dean, among others.

I have always liked Cameron's films - he raised the bar, yet again, on his women characters.

The sheer beauty of this film left us speechless. We chose to see it in 2d first - will probably watch the other version, too.

By Phome on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 09:46 am: Edit Post

I saw it last week, Janny, and it's just incredible. As a die-hard fantasy reader, most fantasy films have really disappointed me. But Avatar was something else altogether. The visuals were incredible. I would highly recommend doing it in 3D - I felt like I was walking through Pandora's jungles myself.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:23 pm: Edit Post

Walked out of that film wishing I didn't have to live here anymore....grin! We went back and took neighbors to the 3d version - payback for help with cat care while we were away - and it was awesome all over again.

The 3d was very seamless - what amazed me, though, was how well it carried in 2d, regardless! wondering what it would look like in i-max...that's a drive to N. Tampa, though - may not make that with the deadline for the book - we'll see. It would make a spectacular "end of novel" splurge.

By Phome on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:20 pm: Edit Post

So glad you saw it in 3D. I should have clarified I saw it in an IMAX cinema - one of the many good things about living in a city is access to that kind of thing. Totally worth it, if you ask me. Definitely treat yourself!

By Alistair Clark on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:22 pm: Edit Post

Probably the wrong place to ask this, but what's the difference between an IMAX cinema and a regular one?

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:08 pm: Edit Post

IMAX is shown on a domed screen, with the seating in the middle of it - so you have, effectively, a panoramic horizon. It requires a special camera. The effect is AMAZING - it will feel like vertigo, being there, though the seats are stationery. Avatar's credits included mention of IMAX cameras, so this was planned for, not an adaptation done after the fact.

If you have never had the IMAX experience - it is awesome. We always attend, whenever we can - the nonfiction documentaries are AWESOME. (Everest, and the one on the space shuttle stand out among them all).

Our nearest IMAX is a part of the science museum in Tampa.

By Alistair Clark on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:18 pm: Edit Post

Sounds good, must have a very wide aspect ratio, and some sort of special projector as well then :-)

Will have to find the nearest one near me, hopefully there is one near Bath, UK

By Konran on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 06:04 pm: Edit Post

I just saw it a couple of days ago. =) I was really impressed. The story wasn't anything amazing -- I called most of the shots before they happened and there were no surprises -- but the visuals more than made up for it and the story still managed to affect me pretty intensely. Overall, good film, something I will probably purchase when it comes out on DVD. (Speaking of, here's a shameless plug for District 9... saw it when it came out in theaters, got it for Christmas and it was just as good the second time around.)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

We liked District 9 very much.

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:39 pm: Edit Post

Avatar has taken all the box office records for domestic and world wide except for best opening weekend. YAY titanic is finally toppeled.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: