Archive through June 27, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through June 27, 2004
   By neil on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit Post

I liked very much the first 4 devery books and the next 4 kept me hooked but I have got a little lost in the latest ones until nevyn turned up again...(and have not reread) I shall buy the last 2(?) just to know how it all ends...it's been 18 years+ since Daggerspell came out I think.

By Trys on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:34 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,

Zettel's first book is out of print (I just ordered it through Amazon from one of their Z-Shops). I'd recommend trying either Playing God or The Quiet Invasion. Since you like Cherryh's Atevi books so well I've little doubt you'd enjoy these. They both deal with the interaction of humans with aliens. Of course you could also try {A Sorcerer's Treason} the first of the Isavalta books.

As to SF vs. Fantasy, she writes both. Her standalone novels are SF, but with the emphasis on characters and plot, not science. But here Isavalta books are pure fantasy. She also has a book out that takes place in Arthurian times.

David,

If you've read The Firebird's Revenge then I'm guessing you either live outside the US or bought the book outside the US, yes? It is scheduled for release in the US on July 1. I'm waiting for it to come out before reading the second book.

Has no one else tried Zettel?

Trys

By Cheryl on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:43 am: Edit Post

Thanks Trys I'll look for Playing God I saw that on the stands once. I might have to order it as well. I'm loaded down with books now I'm making sure I read 3 at least before I buy a new one. I'm punishing myself LOL

By David Gardner on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit Post

Yeah, I'm in Australia, Trys. :-) Book 3 has been out here in Trade Paperback since January, in Voyager/HarperCollins imprint.

David.

By Emrys on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit Post

I've read 3 or 4 books by Zettel. _Playing God_, _Fool's War_ (or something like that), and the new Arthurian one, plus parts of another that I couldn't get into (and don't remember the title). Interesting ideas, well written, but not quite that ... something, that really catches me. It might be characters - most of the books I reread multiple times have more than one character I greatly like. So far with Zettel, I don't remember any characters that caught my interest.

Like Neil, I liked the early Deverry books, then faded out in the middle as it kept going, and going, and going... I haven't gone back to try the more recent ones. Again, it may be characters. The ones that caught my interest early weren't prominant later on, and the newer ones just didn't have the same staying power.

As a contrast, the most recent book by Lois Bujold, _Paladin of Souls_, has at least 4 characters that I would reread for. As in Janny's books, there are a lot of small touches that only become apparent upon rereading - phrases or word choice that don't fully reveal themselves until later. It's also one of the most humor-filled serious fantasy books I can think of. Even the most perilous scenes have phrases that cause me to laugh, somehow without detracting from the tension of events. Our Hero rides to the rescue! "Wrong horse, wrong weapon, wrong armor - half-naked counted as wrong armor, did it not?"

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit Post

Trys and Others,
Thank you very much for reccomending the Fantasy books by Cherryh. I just finished reading "Fortress of Dragons" and truly enjoyed the series. Has she written other novels in the Fantasy genre that you would recommend?

I will indeed followup on your advice to Cheryl and read some of Zettel's work. I really appreciate Book Nook as have gotten some excellent suggestions from those who contribute.

Have just started Kay's "Lord of Emperors". Hopefully it will be as good as "Sailing to Sarantium" which I also enjoyed.

Had started reading Sara Douglas's "Hades' Daughter" but was having a bit of a problem getting into it so went to Cherryh upon your good advice. I find that I much more enjoy fantasies in which the author builds the fantasy world completely from scratch as Douglas did for "The Wayfarer Redemption Series". Couldn't wait for US release of last three so ordered them from Australia. "Hades' Daughter" builds too much on Greek mythology which happened to be one of my most favorite topics when in school mnay years ago. I must say that as a chemical engineer I didn't fit too well with all the English majors when I took Classical Lit. I was the only one to make an A though.

Thanks,
Frank

By Trys on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit Post

Frank,

There aren't many fantasy books written by Cherryh and the others don't have the depth that her 'Fortress' series does. Other fantasys that come to mind are The Goblin Mirror, Faery in Shadow, and
The Tree of Swords and Jewels (this one was originally published as two books). Her Morgaine series reads like fantasy and she wrote a triligy based on Russian Folklore {Rusalka, Chernevog,} and Yvgenie. She also wrote some "Thieves World" stories/books as well as coauthored one of the "Sword of Knowledge" novels.

It's been many, many years since I read these but I remember them fondly. I just don't know if they measure up to the 'Fortress' books.

To get the above titles I did a search on Amazon and most of the above titles appear to be out-of-print.

Trys

By Hunter on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

Cherryh has written more sci-fi / space opera than pure fantasy.

I would strongly recommend the Foreigner series as well as the Morgaine books. I've not read every book written by CJ but these two series I've very much enjoyed.

By Cheryl on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:48 am: Edit Post

My favorites by Cherryh are the Atevi series and the Fortress books. I started reading her when the Chernevog book came out. I enjoyed that series Russalka was really good. I'm going to start reading Kate Elliott since she's coming to the world fantasy convention. Anyone know where I should start with her books. Also thinking about reading Katherine Kerr. She's someone big I haven't read either.

By Hunter on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:51 am: Edit Post

Kate Elliot has one series published as Kate Elliot - the Crown of Stars series. There are five books, with the sixth to be released in mid 2005 ish... Start with Book 1. She has also written Jaran novels as her real name of Alis Rasmussen. Her website is http://www.sff.net/people/kate.elliott/

I haven't read the Jaran novels but the Crown of Stars series is very good. The books are absolute door stoppers in size..