Archive through July 15, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through July 15, 2004
   By Kitsune on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit Post

Well, though Janny is at the top of my "Must-Read" List, there are a few others up there, too.

For the "classics" of the genre, I recommed (amongst others):
--the "Fafhrd and Gray Mouser" series by Fritz Leiber
--the "Elric" series by Michael Moorcock
--the "Amber" series by
--the "Conan" series by Robert E. Howard (some of the other Conan authoers are passable, but REH is the real deal!)
--"Three Hearts and Three Lions"

For more contemporary stuff (lots of others, but start with these!!):
--"Song of Fire and Ice" by George RR Martin
--"Memory, Sorrow and Throrn" trilogy by Tad WIlliams.
--"Otherland" quartet by Tad Williams
--"Inkheart" by Cornelia Funke
--the "Rhapsody" series by Elizabeth Haydon
--the "Runelords" series by David Farland
--"Eragon" by Chris Paoli
--"In Legend Born" and "In Fire Forged" (authors name escapes me right now.) :-(

By Trys on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

Just to let you know, the third Clingfire Trilogy is due out in early August.

Trys

By Cheryl on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Trys I probably would have missed it. I still can't figure out how I missed the second one in hardback. I'm usually on top of that stuff. At least I have it now it's really good. Deborah Ross is a good writer I'm glad she's writing these books for Marian Zimber Bradley.

By Artemis on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Cheryl - the Lymond Chronicles consist of 6 books, each of which can be read without having read the others.
They are - The Game of Kings
Queens' Play
The Disorderly Knights
Pawn in Frankincense
The Ringed Castle
Checkmate
all beautifully written in exquisite detail about the l6th Century, by Dorothy Dunnett.

Artie.

By Selene on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit Post

Kitsune-
"In Legend Born" is by Laura Resnick. I didn't read the second one yet, but I thought the first one was very nice

Really, you liked Conan? I have the fantasy masterworks edition, but I never managed to finish it. I thought it was so
superficial...

Moorcock is supposed to be good, but there's something with his books and me that just doesn't agree. I tried "Gloriana" (the unedited version) and "The prince in the scarlet robe", but neither really sparked my interest.

I like Martin and Williams too, though I haven't read the otherland series yet. I'm really longing for "A feast for crows", but Martin seems to be having some problems, though I am happy he's anxious to keep up the high quality, of course. I read his book "The fevre dream" while waiting though, and I thought it was really great.

I like Elizabeth Haydon's series very much too, there are some very memorable character's there (Achmed's my favourite! :-)). I couldn't really stand Rhapsody herself though...

Recently, I finally found the out of print book "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers, which is still a favourite of mine

Selene

By Cheryl on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit Post

I hear that a lot about Haydon's series they like the other characters but not Rhapsody so much. Sounds like a good series I've been thinking about it.

By Kitsune on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit Post

"In Legend Born" is by Laura Resnick. I didn't read the second one yet, but I thought the first one was very nice.

Thanks for that, Selene!
You have a treat in store: there's lots of cool ideas and sequences in the next two books.

Really, you liked Conan? I have the fantasy masterworks edition, but I never managed to finish it. I thought it was so
superficial...

Granted not all the REH "Conan" stories are equal. Some are acknowledged classics, while others.. Well, they're less so. But take them all with a grain of salt, and remember when they were written and the impact they've had on fantasy for the last half-century plus.

Moorcock is supposed to be good, but there's something with his books and me that just doesn't agree. I tried "Gloriana" (the unedited version) and "The prince in the scarlet robe", but neither really sparked my interest.

I can see that: the "Enternal Champion" stuff is what you should start with. Try the "Elric" series: I'd be curious what you think, and they're realtively quick reads (though they're deeper than they initally appear.)

I like Martin and Williams too, though I haven't read the otherland series yet. I'm really longing for "A feast for crows", but Martin seems to be having some problems, though I am happy he's anxious to keep up the high quality, of course.

LMK what you think if you do read "Otherland." As to GRRM, well, I think he's beginning to suffer (just a tad) from Robery Jordan sydrome.

As a bit of an aside, that's why I love "Wars of Light and Shadow" so much. Not only does Janny's comittment to the quality of the series shine through, but I cna pick up each book as it comes out and remember -details- from each of the previous books, rather than just the -gist- of the previous books. And as I re-read each of the previous books, I pick up -new- nuances that I haven't noticed before.}

I like Elizabeth Haydon's series very much too, there are some very memorable character's there (Achmed's my favourite! ). I couldn't really stand Rhapsody herself though..

Interesting. Well I like Achmed (who doesn't?) I thought Rhapsody herself was a fascinating character. I also like the idea of basing a series around music.

Recently, I finally found the out of print book "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers, which is still a favourite of mine.

Oooh! Where? And how much? My copy is read ragged and due for a replacement!!

By Selene on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:22 am: Edit Post

"Granted not all the REH "Conan" stories are equal. Some are acknowledged classics, while others.. Well, they're less so. But take them all with a grain of salt, and remember when they were written and the impact they've had on fantasy for the last half-century plus."

Yes well, I have recently become quite an impatient reader. Some months ago I had this idea that I should try and read some of the famous, best-selling authors out there. (I picked up conan during this little drive.)
Let me just summarize by saying that all in all, it hasn't been a great success.

"Try the "Elric" series: I'd be curious what you think, and they're realtively quick reads (though they're deeper than they initally appear.)"

Well, I suppose I can give Moorcock one last chance... ;)

"As to GRRM, well, I think he's beginning to suffer (just a tad) from Robery Jordan sydrome."

Only if by that you mean that he's taking a long time to produce new books :-) The quality of Jordan's books has really dropped, IMO, on the contrary to Martin. One thing I like about Martin is his tendency to introduce new character viewpoints with each book. What you knew of Jamie, e.g., got turned on its head once you got to see things from his PV in the latest installment.

"Well I like Achmed (who doesn't?) I thought Rhapsody herself was a fascinating character."

IMHO, Rhapsody suffers from the "too-perfect-character"-syndrome. Not only is she good at everything, and has all the right qualities, she also doesn't realize it.

About the Anubis Gates, I picked it up second hand from Amazon.co.uk Marketplace. (Amazon UK claim they have it available with a shipping of 3-5 weeks, but after waiting forever they informed me they were unable to acquire the title.) With the shipping to Sweden, it wasn't much more than the price of a new book. If you live in the US, I doubt it would be very convenient though :-)

Selene

By nate on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:32 am: Edit Post

hey artemis,

i've been reading the lymond books for the last couple of months... just finished the third, now looking for the fourth, and i agree with... um... whoever it was that said there are a lot of similarities between lymond and arithon - the same thought struck me (independantly) and i was chuffed to have it confirmed by someone else.

(i just started writing war and peace on their similarities, but then realised that perhaps it was a discussion for a different place - i wonder where?)

anyway, it's a series which after many disappointments, has been able to command my attention... another series which absorbed me was the aubrey/maturin books, by patrick o'brian (i don't know whether thay've already been discussed)... i read these long before the movie "far side of the world" came out, and would have to repeat the old catch-phrase, "i enjoyed the book more." (hehehe)

btw artemis, have you read the nicholo (is that right?) books by dorothy dunnet?

cheers,

nate.

By Artemis on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit Post

Hi Nate,

Yes, I've read four/five of them. I think there are seven. Not sure I like Niccolo (or nicholo)- I've been spoiled by Francis I think, but the detail and atmosphere are good.

Artie.