Archive through July 30, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through July 30, 2004
   By nate on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit Post

ah... well, i might look into those when i've finished the lymond ones... do you think that the niccolo ones aren't as good because they're not set mostly around those colourful scottish characters?

nate.

By Artemis on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit Post

Hi Nate,

No, I think they are just as good, but I don't like Nicholo as much as I like Francis. How shallow am I?

Artie.

By nate on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit Post

lol... well, francis has so many endearing qualities: drunkenness, violence, murder, and poetic tendancies of course... how could you not like such a character...

nate.

By Auna on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 04:53 am: Edit Post

This one is for Frank who asked about Asimov in the I Robot thread. :-)

Isaac Asimov is my favorite SciFi author of all time. He was a very prolific writer in multiple areas ranging from religion, science fiction, philosophy, biology, and chemistry, among other disciplines. He wrote a lot of short stories and several novels dealing with the idea of robots and the Three Laws of Robotics:

1. A robot must never harm a human or through inaction let a human come to harm

2. A robot must obey all humans except where it might lead to a violation of the first law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence except where it would violate the first or second law.

Many robot stories are about crimes that require analysis of the three laws to solve. They are very good mysteries. Some, like Bicentennial Man, question what it means to be human. All of his stories are enjoyable and offer something for the mind.

Perhaps without meaning to early on, Asimov wrote all his stories in a single complex universe that spans over a hundred thousand years starting in 1995. Robot stories tend to come earlier in the history. Empire novels are in the middle. Foundation stories are at the latter end of the history.

I found a wonderful web site that lists all the stories in chronological order instead of published order. I recommend reading them in this order, especially the Foundation books, to preserve the surprising twists that develop.

http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/insane_list.html

Even if you are not into science fiction, Asimov is a worthy read.

By Trys on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit Post

To elaborate on Auna's comment, Asimov was the only author to have a book in every category of the old Dewey Decimal system of cataloging in my high school library... including his two volume book on the Bible which was in the Reference section.

I read a lot of Asimov when I was younger, his Foundation novels are probably my favorite. Among his short stories, "Nightfall" about life on a planet located in a globular star cluster where night only occurred very intermittantly and the madness that overtook the people as night fell. (Oddly enough this was made into a movie a few years ago, guess it didn't do well at the theaters.)

Trys

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit Post

Thank you very much Auna and Trys for the info about Asimov and his (assumption) writings. I have read some SF and will definitely look into his. Thanks Auna for the heads up re the web site. I have read a few series out of order and you constantly get those "ah ha's" followed by the "sure would have been nice to have known this earlier" reactions.
Frank

By Kathie La Rocque on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit Post

Haven't seen anyone mention Alan Dean Foster in the two years' worth of messages I've read. He's a pretty prolific author too and has some very good books. Some are more thought provoking than others.

By Cheryl on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit Post

I loved his Spellsinger Series I get to meet him at Tempe in Oct. I'm honored to meet him and Janny at the same convention. I think highly of Alan Dean Foster I haven't read his latest books but I've read all his earlier ones he is very good. I have some of his Star Trek books from the 70's lol

By Kathie La Rocque on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit Post

My brother is trying to get all of his books. I think he's missing only 1 or 2. I'm not quite that big a fan but I do like his writing.
I've also recently discovered books by an English/Welsh gentleman by the name of Jasper Fforde. They're ... interesting to say the least. lol I love the idea of live dodos!

By Cheryl on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit Post

Sandtiger or anyone when is Julie Czerneda's short story book coming out? I know sometime in august I will be their to get it and I might get Species then too since I don't have it yet.