Archive through September 13, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through September 13, 2004
   By Bruce on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit Post

Just finished Jennifer Fallon second ons trilogy. I really enjoyed her characters both the good and the bad, and the ones somewhere in between, a very fun series that kind of reminds me of Melanie Rawn's writing.

By Cheryl on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit Post

I bought her first book just recently. She does have a good way of writing and some good characters. I haven't read enough to know for sure but it seems like a good series. I like Dirk a lot and that's enough for me. lol she does have a Melanie Rawn feel to her with her characters.

By Ika on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:57 am: Edit Post

I was wondering if Jennifer Fallon's books were good...The excerpt was appealing enough but I wasn't sure to pick it up just yet.
Picked up Steven Erikson though, and the book is okay so far, but it's all jumbled up with so many characters! And sandtiger, congrats for getting your short story to the printers! woohoo!

By Sandtiger on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:49 am: Edit Post

Haven't heard of Jennifer Fallon, but I'll definately go looking for it.

Reading wise, I haven't been able to do too much lately. I did read "A Wizard Alone" by Diane Duane...it's a young adult book, the Sixth in the Young Wizards series - and quite good - though she has a distinctly odd writing style.

Thanks Ika! :-)

Sandtiger

By Cheryl on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:07 am: Edit Post

Congratulations from me too Sandtiger on the short story. For a long time I would see Jennifer Fallons books and think I wonder if they are good. The covers are good. I just hope it doesn't turn into a heavy romance thing with Dirk and that girl. I hate that. lol I have a feeling though I won't win it's inevitable the romance thing.

By George on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit Post

Not to be too political, but i have just started reading "Dude, Where's my country?" by Mike Moore...

I must admit that as a non-US person, i find the whole dynamic of US politics most intruiging. Although the book blusters with much rhetoric, some comments are worthy of note and further discussion.

It's no "Bowling for Columbine", but i think it's still a worthy read (if you can get passed all the rhetorical questioning). ohh and all the labouring on some of the points....Mike Moore really wants george w out of office!

By Konran on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit Post

Something I found on the internet that is mildly amusing. :-) I actually haven't read anything by the author in question (travesty!) but a lot of the other recaps are funny.

The Collected Work of Raymond E. Feist
Ultra-Condensed by Andrew Cedotal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character #1
I'm goodhearted and honest.
Character #2
I'm goodhearted and sneaky.
(They save the world six times.)

THE END

There's a bunch more stuff (no Janny...) If anyone wants to look at the site it's

http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/

Anybody want to try condensing WoLaS into a couple lines? *grin*

(Dark brother and light brother hate each other. They start to like each other. Then they get cursed to hate each other. The light guy turns himself into a god. The dark guy angsts a lot. They fight and lots of people die.) =P

By Demi on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:59 am: Edit Post

Has anyone read the "Wayfarer redemtion series" by Sara douglass. I want to know what you think. I read the first two books but by the time I had finished book two I really didn't want to read book three. I just skipped the third book and read book four instead. Don't get me wrong, she is a good writer but her plot is twisted and doesn't have proper continuity with certain characters.

By Cheryl on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

Thanks for that information on Sara Douglass. I wondered whether to try her, but she focuses on the heroine a lot and I prefer heroes, though she does have a good hero too. I can smell romance when their's a man and a woman the main ones so I delay reading those. I like the cover's of her books it's tempting and her latest hardback is luring me to it. I'm reading Carol Berg's Guardian's of the Keep it's very good series. Four books two more coming. I'm intrigued and love the magic in the series. Just thought I'd recommend Berg's latest.

By demi on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit Post

Sorry I spoiled it for you. Borrow it from a library instead of buying it. It's worth it that way. There are those like my brothers who liked the series and chose screennames after the characters inthe book and there are those like me who hated what she did to one character especially.
The first book will hook you and leave you salivating for the next, the second will appease somewhat and the third, I din't even bother other than get seconhand vital info from those who had read it. But you will certainly like the fourth book. You can go ahead and read the fourth but it wont make much sense except you have read the previous books. The only reason I don't like the first part of the series is that she destroyed a major character which many readers liked only to tell us later that the character was not intended to be a major character. She redeems herself somewhat in Sinner.
My advice, borrow the first three books from the library and maybe buy sinner.