Archive through September 24, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through September 24, 2004
   By Cheryl on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit Post

I want three of those books. Traitor's Knot will be christmas present and Destroyer will be out right after. Still need to get Julie's Specie's book sometime. I know these are in hardcover and I do sometimes wait for paperback depends on how much I think I'll enjoy the books.

By Trys on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 04:53 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,

I think you would like Sime~Gen novels. Meisha Merlin has published 3 of these in one book: {The Unity Trilogy} - 20$ for Trade and $40 for hardcover.

Trys

By Cheryl on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 07:14 am: Edit Post

Who's the author or is that the author's name. I think I would like Meisha Merlin's books too. I'll look them up thanks.

By Sandtiger on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,

That's the Jacqueline Lichtenberg and Jean Lorrah that I mention above.

There were 8 books originally released in the 70s and 80s...

House of Zeor
Ambrov Keon
Zelerod's Doom
First Channel
Channel's Destiny
Unto Zeor, Forever
Mahogany Trinrose
RenSime

They are currently being rereleased by Meisha Merlin - The Unity Trilogy combines the first three original novels.

In between the rereleases, they are releasing new Sime~Gen novels, of which "To Kiss or to Kill" is the first - due out sometime soon, hopefully in the next year.

Here's the Meisha Merlin link:

http://www.meishamerlin.com/Sime~GenTheUnityTrilogy.html

Sandtiger

By Cheryl on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for that info. I will look into those books I hope they are fantasy. I mostly just read fantasy stuff. thanks again Sandtiger I look forward to meeting you in Oct.

By Trys on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

The Sime~Gen novels read like fantasy but definitely have sci-fi underpinnings. The concept is that at some time in the future the human race splits into two disparate but interdependent sub-species, the Sime and the Gen. At the point that the books start North America consists of Gen Territory and Sime Territories. Simes need Gens to survive. They 'feed' on them and in the process kill them with tentacles that grow out of their forearms.

To make the situation more interesting, when children are born they look sime, but when they begin to mature, they may 'break-out', meaning that they are actually Sime and the tentacles develop and break free. When this happens in Gen Territory they are killed unless they manage to escape to Sime Territory. When a child is determined to be Gen (Sime's can sense a Gen) they are sold into the system to become food.

It is actually much more complicated than that as you learn as the stories progress. But that gives you a sense of things. Lorrah and Lichtenberg also create both likeable male and female protagonists of both species.

Sandtiger, feel free to elaborate if I've distorted anything. :-)

Trys

By Cheryl on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for that info on the books. Sounds pretty intriguing if Sandtiger and you like them so much then I know they are good. I'll look next time I'm in bookstore or on amazon.com. Christmas is coming so I can get a few more books that time of year.

By Sandtiger on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit Post

That's pretty right on, Trys :-)

My only change...

"To make the situation more interesting, when children are born they look **sime** (Actually, they look Gen - Cheryl - that basically means they look like you and I do.), but when they begin to mature, they may 'break-out', meaning that they are actually Sime and the tentacles develop and break free."

As for being Fantasy...well, yes and no. The read like Fantasy, even if they are meant to be Science Fiction.

You'll find the first five on my list above, definately read like Fantasy - the others a little less so, but not much.

The thing I like about them is that they aren't just snapshots of a time and place like so many books are. Instead, they detail a cultural evolution that spans thousands of years, and they do it WELL. And none of it is immediately visible, It's only something you come to realise after you have read all the books.

Sandtiger

By Trys on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit Post

Santiger,

Thanks for the correction. Sometimes the fingers just take over... maybe it's time for new ones. Er... or maybe I just got new ones. Who can tell. <g>

Cheryl,

The original books are all out of print though one of them has Don Maitz cover. If you can't find it in your bookstore, remember they can order it for you.

Trys

By Cheryl on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit Post

Thanks that sounds very intriguing. I wonder how I missed this series. Was it overseas and not in the US but Trys read it so that's not it. I mainly read fantasy but I do like good sci fi that reads like fantasy. I'll go to their site then and see about them thanks for the link Sandtiger. I'd love to see the cover by Don Maitz.