Archive through September 26, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through September 26, 2004
   By Trys on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

These books might predate you by a wee bit as they were published in the '70s and early '80s.

Trys

By Cheryl on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit Post

I was in high school then but didn't read much outside of what I had to in those days. I got to reading after I graduated and later found fantasy. Guess that's why I missed them. I missed a lot of Cherryh's earlier books in those years too.

By Sandtiger on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

Trys,

::laugh::

Well, the first one predates me...House of Zeor came out in 1974/5 and I was born in 1978.

It's a series that really transcends the time it was written though - which is why I am glad to see Meisha Merlin rereleasing them.

Of course, some of the original covers (HoZ for instance) are quite....unique. They certainly show a marked contrast as to marketing technique in the 70s compared to nowadays!

Sandtiger

By Cheryl on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit Post

Oh Sandtiger you make me feel old. I thought you were older now I am the old fart at this con. groan.

By Trys on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit Post

Sandtiger,

I believe I have a hardcover of HoZ that I found in used bookstore (I was too poor to afford new HCs during the '70s) and yes the cover art is quite different... doesn't look like anything in particular as far as a genre. But First Channel is the Don Maitz cover, more traditional of the genre.

Trys

By Sandtiger on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit Post

I think I read an article about how the HoZ cover art came to be...it didn't help me like it. ::Groan::

I definitely liked Don's cover better. ::Grin::

Sandtiger

By Wayne McCalla on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit Post

I have Meisha Merlin's Unity trilogy but still have not had time to read it.

Believe that I may have read on book from the library when still in Jr/Sr High School so early to mid 80's.

Seemed lost because pretty sure wasn't the first in the series and not even sure on the title anymore. It was very small library also at that time. I probably(no definitely) have more SciFi\Fant than it did.

My actually start reading it after book by David Coe that I am reading. Very detailed very politically orientated series. "Winds of the Forelands" is the series. "Rules of Ascension" and "Seeds of Betrayal" are the first two books in the projected five book series.

Wayner

By Cheryl on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Wayne I didn't know Rules of Ascension was going to be a 5 book series. I'm reading Rules and bought Seeds of Betrayal but I'm also reading some other things. I like his series though and I'm glad I'll get to meet him at the con. I love the gleaning's.

By Wayne McCalla on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

So far only first 2 are out 3 is coming out in March 2005 after delays. And apparently he is finishing up on book 5.

Just finished book 2 and it was even better than the first book. Now going to be waiting very impatiently for next one. He did do a reading at WorldCon for chapter 1 of book 3 did not give away too much if you hadn't read number 2 yet(which I hadn't started).

He does have first chapters up on his site at:
http://www.sff.net/people/DavidBCoe/

Including history and other things not in the books.

David is an extremely nice person. I have met him at a quite a few cons over the years and so far enjoyed all of his books.

By Cheryl on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 05:30 am: Edit Post

Thanks Wayne I'm going to try to finish Rules before the convention. I've read 200 pages so far and it's engrossing. I'm glad he's a nice person and look forward to meeting him. Thanks for the link to his site I'll definitely go there regularly. I might not be able to bring my hardback since a certain other author's books is going to be taking up all the room with her hardbacks grin but I will bring his paperback I have of Seeds. Thanks again.